Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2011, 10:20 AM   #6811
jessepitt
Ride More

Oddometer: 993
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura0107 View Post
Hi George,

I didn't buy my Sprint from Jeff but he does indeed help me take care of it.

The Pirelli MT21 on my DR650 behaves similarly to your description of the Kenda front on the DR350. I read once where someone thought the 650 was too heavy for the MT21. When it wears out I think I'll put a T63 front on.

I haven't had the 350 long at all, but have been in some deep sand and plenty of post-snow & ice slop, and the Scorpion Pro front has been fantastic, along with the Trakmaster II rear.

You should've come on my "dirty road tour" two weekends ago with the state ride-to-lunch crowd. That was my shakedown ride on the 350, and I grinned so much that my face hurt.
I have run the perelli scorpion pro front tire on my 650 and liked it better than ANY other tire I have had on it. It will behave like it does on your 350 so if you like that I would recommend giving it a try on the 650 as well. I have heard bad things about the T63 front. I have a T63 rear and perelli front on mine right now and it is great. It makes grave roadl feel like you are on rails.
jessepitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 12:08 PM   #6812
firebrick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 871
Hippo hands and spitfire. Also have aerostich Velcro grip heaters.

Just thought I'd share.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:11 PM   #6813
firebrick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 871
Other side
Old 01-18-2011, 01:22 PM   #6814
Laura0107
Retrophilic Rambler

Oddometer: 1,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessepitt View Post
I have run the perelli scorpion pro front tire on my 650 and liked it better than ANY other tire I have had on it. It will behave like it does on your 350 so if you like that I would recommend giving it a try on the 650 as well. I have heard bad things about the T63 front. I have a T63 rear and perelli front on mine right now and it is great. It makes grave roadl feel like you are on rails.
Good to know! Yeah, I've read conflicting reports on the T63 front. Mostly that it likes to wander on grooved pavement more than others.
Old 01-18-2011, 03:04 PM   #6815
coaxial
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
My opinion isn't worth much as I've only run T63 front/rear on this bike, but I am happy with them. I've experimented with different dual sport touring tires on my heavier bikes and one thing I pay attention to is how much the tires follow grooves and especially tar snakes. T63 on this little bike seems fine in that respect - could be better but could be worse. There are always comprimises.

I think I'll run T63 for commuting and off-road, and if I do a trip to Argentina on this bike I'll run something like Michelin Anakee for north america, and back to T63 or TKC80 for central/south america.

Current: '91 DR350s mondo enduro commuter!
Past: V-Strom'd to Alaska & Mexico
coaxial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 04:07 PM   #6816
GsVs
Goin' Somewhere

Oddometer: 1,396
Question Gravel ??

Hey coaxial ...

How do you like the DR350 T63 front/rear combo on gravel ??

Thanks ...
Old 01-18-2011, 05:08 PM   #6817
Airvent
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 340
I run the T63 Front and rear and find it to be the ultimate 50/50 tire. Great on road and off road. I wouldn't try and grind my footpegs on corners but they seem to hold their track well on road. Offroad they provide great grip and predictable tracking. Believe me, I have tested these tires. I got 4000 miles from the last rear. Lots of wheelies, off road abuse and highway commuting.

Airvent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 06:02 PM   #6818
brianjonesphoto
Single Track Noob

Oddometer: 1,543
DR350 Noob questions

Iím going through a 99 DR350SE that I picked up used last month and I have a couple carburetor questions.

First off it is usual for one of these bike to start without any choke? I was around 55 degrees in my garage today when I fired up the bike and to my surprise it took right off without much cranking or any choke. It started almost like an injected bike. I checked the plug when I first got the bike and it was pretty black, but not oil fouled. It cleaned right up with a few passes of a nylon brush. Are these 2 indications that itís running richer than it should be? I havenít had a chance to get out and run though a tank yet so I have no idea what sort of mileage Iím getting.

I have yet to pull the carb to inspect the jetting, but I have noticed that the fuel screw plug has been removed. What should the stock jetting be? Iím interested in getting an extended fuel screw, but will it fit on an E-start bike? It seems that thereís barely room to get my finger between the starter and carb.

So far the bike is totally stock with an unmodified airbox. Since Iím new to the dirt side of things I plan on keeping it this way for at least this season.

Lastly I want to know how the engine should sound while idling. The little bit that Iíve ridden the bike it seems to ride just fine, but the idle has an occasional loud knock to it. Iíve tried isolating the clutch by squeezing the lever, but it doesnít seem to make a difference. Iím going to check the cam chain tensioner tomorrow and make sure itís not cam chain noise, but itís not that consistent of a knock. Maybe once every second or so. Maybe this is completely normal sound for these bikes, but I have no point of reference.

Thanks.

www.PhotoSupportNW.com

brianjonesphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 06:17 PM   #6819
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 45,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airvent View Post
I run the T63 Front and rear and find it to be the ultimate 50/50 tire. Great on road and off road. I wouldn't try and grind my footpegs on corners but they seem to hold their track well on road. Offroad they provide great grip and predictable tracking. Believe me, I have tested these tires. I got 4000 miles from the last rear. Lots of wheelies, off road abuse and highway commuting.

I dunno, I'm seeing a lot of stuck with them tires...
Old 01-18-2011, 07:48 PM   #6820
Bob Onit
Rocket Surgeon

Oddometer: 1,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drif10 View Post
I dunno, I'm seeing a lot of stuck with them tires...
He's not stuck.......... he's just taking a break and is very conscious about wearing out the kickstand

I got to get together for a ride with you when it warms up a bit Airvent.
Just a hop skip and a pole vault from Oxford.
Beacon Falls here
Bob Onit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 05:02 AM   #6821
Airvent
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Onit View Post
He's not stuck.......... he's just taking a break and is very conscious about wearing out the kickstand

Sounds like a plan bob. Ill show you the best Naugy Valley has to offer.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:47 AM   #6822
cman
cman

Oddometer: 264
First off it is usual for one of these bike to start without any choke? I was around 55 degrees in my garage today when I fired up the bike and to my surprise it took right off without much cranking or any choke. It started almost like an injected bike. I checked the plug when I first got the bike and it was pretty black, but not oil fouled. It cleaned right up with a few passes of a nylon brush. Are these 2 indications that itís running richer than it should be? I havenít had a chance to get out and run though a tank yet so I have no idea what sort of mileage Iím getting.

I boughta 98 DR350se and it starts the same. My 06 DRZ 400s has to have the choke pulled out. Both bikes stock. Curious to hear some replies.
cman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 07:12 AM   #6823
Bob Onit
Rocket Surgeon

Oddometer: 1,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airvent View Post

Sounds like a plan bob. Ill show you the best Naugy Valley has to offer.
Bob Onit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 07:39 PM   #6824
garythelegend
YEE HAW!

Oddometer: 13
Push Start DR ?

Hi, my 98 DR's battery got zapped from a cold spell. I hooked up a battery jumper and got it going but tried to push start it first but couldn't get it to go is there a secret or trick to it just in case it dies and I don't have a jumper availabe?
garythelegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 07:44 PM   #6825
Airvent
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by garythelegend View Post
Hi, my 98 DR's battery got zapped from a cold spell. I hooked up a battery jumper and got it going but tried to push start it first but couldn't get it to go is there a secret or trick to it just in case it dies and I don't have a jumper availabe?
Find a decent hill and then bump start it. Make sure to do it in a high gear like 3rd.