Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2010, 10:48 AM   #91
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,880
Yes, it is one of the faster 125s. It looks much cooler than most scooters with it's sports bike styling as well. It is also priced reasonably, unlike most Hondas.
btcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 02:40 PM   #92
gore-tx
DOUBLE-O G

Oddometer: 2,121
Has anyone bought one yet? Riding impressions? Mpg?
gore-tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 12:32 AM   #93
flatboarder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by gore-tx View Post
Has anyone bought one yet? Riding impressions? Mpg?
Full throttle riding over long distance will result in approx. 3l/100km.

Click MGP icon below!

0 - limiter, full throttle:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSUXYiAILrg
(initial noise is a chainsaw, not the PCX)

In case you like to use google translate:
click my PCX page

Phil

flatboarder screwed with this post 01-16-2011 at 12:45 AM
flatboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 06:35 AM   #94
siyeh
Lawn Nazi

Oddometer: 1,466
I tried to buy a PCX 2 weeks ago. Dealer here in snowy Wisconsin, would not let me take a test ride. In fact, he did not even have batteries installed in ANY of his scooters. oh well

BTW his bottom dollar 'winter special' was $3000 plus tax, title, and license,,,,

siyeh screwed with this post 01-16-2011 at 06:47 AM
siyeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 09:45 AM   #95
SPOFF
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by siyeh View Post
BTW his bottom dollar 'winter special' was $3000 plus tax, title, and license,,,,
Not a bad price. Not sure why he wouldn't let you expose HIS scooter to ice, snow, sand, and SALT.
SPOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 03:43 PM   #96
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPOFF View Post
Not a bad price. Not sure why he wouldn't let you expose HIS scooter to ice, snow, sand, and SALT.

True, but its not a special price either. That would run around $3,300 OTD, maybe less or more. The PCX is a fine looking machine, but don't let the looks fool you, it still has a 125 cc motor under there!

It is supposed to do around 66 MPH indicated, or maybe 60-63 MPH actual. Not a bad speed, actual pretty good for a 125, but for the price its not tooooo impressive!

But I'll tell you, a 60 MPH top end will NEVER be enough for most. I find a 70-75 MPH top speed on a small scooter to be ideal. Enough to sneak on the highway, but plentiful for backroads and everywhere else.

Go on Craigslist and get a Burgman 400 for $3,000. MAYBE even less if you are good at talking them down! Sure its used, but 105 MPH is a plus and all the other benefits of a Maxi. I am unlikely to buy a new scooter unless it is unique or something, because I sure don't mind paying less for a great quality scooter. Even used, the Burgman 400 is very very likely to outlast a Honda PCX. Less maintenance, more power, more capabilities.

If you have NO reason and don't wish for anything over 125, then the PCX is a great little scoot. If your looking for a 125 for an ok price then the PCX is good. It is a higher end 125 with liquid cooling and EFI. And it is faster than most 125 cc scooters. But if your looking for the best bang for your buck, a used scoot is the way to go.
Old 01-21-2011, 05:46 PM   #97
siyeh
Lawn Nazi

Oddometer: 1,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by btcn View Post
I am unlikely to buy a new scooter unless it is unique or something
Or maybe it's because you are just too cheap

I been buying motorcycles for 37 years and the ONLY

thing they all had in common is each one has had a big fat

ZERO on the odometer. My scoot purchase will be the same,,,,
siyeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 06:09 PM   #98
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by siyeh View Post
Or maybe it's because you are just too cheap

I been buying motorcycles for 37 years and the ONLY

thing they all had in common is each one has had a big fat

ZERO on the odometer. My scoot purchase will be the same,,,,

True, I don't have the money to go throw $10,000+ into a new bike, or $5,000 on a scooter. I DO however, have the cash to buy a 2005 Sportster 1200 for $3,000=$5,000, or $2,700 for a Burgman 400.

I have bought new motorcycles before, but used motorcycles, espically ones from a dealer with a warrenty serve me just fine. I can find a used bike with very few miles that will go just as long. BUT I am far more hesitent to buy an old used motorcycle for personal use, because you know they are more likely to have trouble. You do generaly have to throw a wad of cash into all the basic parts to keep them going.

But I have no problem buying a 2005 Burgman 400 for $2,700!

Yes, I may be cheap but I can buy a lot of bikes! Sometimes I love me a brand new bike, but used bikes sure have their place with me!
Old 01-21-2011, 08:33 PM   #99
LarryRickenbacker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
Just let gas hit say..$4.50 and watch the PCX!

Howdy,

Should this Summer's gas prices go higher than some of us are anticipating, the PCX could prove as elusive as tickets to a 'Stones concert in '72!
Were I in a speculative mood, I'd say that the PCX and Zuma 125 could wind up selling like crazy by July 4th of 2011. Again, just let gas hit a good $4.50 in the northeast. My 2 cents.
LarryRickenbacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 01:32 AM   #100
flatboarder
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
And it is faster than most 125 cc scooters.
Not really. Many other 125ccm 4 stroke scooters are going considerable faster due to 14 or 15HP compared to 11,7 at the PCX. Topspeed is not a major argument for a PCX:
However, I can tell, the PCX rides really well, especially due to its smooth and light running engine, feeling stronger than it actually is. Also due to its lightweighted medium size chassis (50kg lighter than comparable 125cc EFI 4 stroke scooters as like Kymco, Yamaha and others). It feels very easy going, accelerates well and smooth and handles perfect. Also fuel consumption will stay at least 0.5l/100km below competition even when riding full throttle. In my opinion the PCX is a good choice even when riding longer distances (as like I do myself). But certainly you need to try it out for yourself.

Unfortunately you do not get the auto idle stop system with it. This feature works perfect and it is real fun. It is implemented unbelievably well and responsive. Actually, it is not its small fuel saving effect, but the special inner city riding quality it gives, that makes me like it a lot.

Phil
Old 01-22-2011, 07:38 AM   #101
wanna bECO
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 726
yeah, I will never buy another new bike again. I have only lost money on one bike and that is the one I bought new. All the others have paid for themselves when I sold them and a few have increased in price.. After a few tweeks .
I can't believe the price of the sportsters now, I may have to get me a 3rd one!

current stable

'94 Harley .... a blue one
'82 Honda passport
'87 Honda spacy 250
And an E Bike
85 spacy 250
81 passport (in pieces, many parts for sale)
The hit's just keep coming.. bought another 81 passport (11-28-09)

http://tiny.cc/ITgetsBETTER
wanna bECO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 09:17 AM   #102
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatboarder View Post
Not really. Many other 125ccm 4 stroke scooters are going considerable faster due to 14 or 15HP compared to 11,7 at the PCX. Topspeed is not a major argument for a PCX:

Phil
Well how fast do those other scoots go then? I have never seen a regular 125 cc 4 stroke scooter that can run past 65 MPH out of the box. HP is not everything when it comes to top speed. It is a factor. They say the PCX is good for an indicated 67 MPH which means in the low 60s actual. Most 125s I know of, such as the Zuma 125 and Agility are the same or lower. The Zuma is only good for around 55-60 MPH, and the Agility a similar actual speed.

Which stock 4 strokes are putting out 15 HP? That sounds a bit high. I mean most 250 scooters like the SYM RV250 are only putting out 20 HP, and that scoot will run 91 MPH indicated!

wanna bECO, yea thats kinda how I feel! You can buy a bike and sell it for about or more than what you paid for it! A new bike loses a ton of value the second you ride out of the dealer parking lot, and if you decide you aren't crazy about it well there goes a bunch of cash!

Yea Sportsters are a great price now! Even new ones can be had for under $10,000 for a 1200 and just over $6,000 for an 883! And have a look on Craigslist, and you can find either for $3,000-$5,000 easily! A lot of people buy big huge Harleys and find that a Sportster would have done them fine! A Sportster isn't real real comfortable stock, but you know it is not hard to set them up for touring. Get a big comfortable aftermarket seat with backrest, some big saddle bags, a windscreen, and a few other touches and you can tour just fine! Hell, I mean for us scooter tourists a Sportster is like a Goldwing! The 1200 will outrun most Harleys except the V-Rod off the line, and they are a little more fun in the twisties! I am actually getting a 1200 this year!
Old 01-22-2011, 10:13 AM   #103
Birdmove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,530
In the 125cc scooter class there is the SYM HD125. Same 4-valve water cooled engine with a ceramic coated cylinder as the HD200. The 200 is a strong runner and is actually 172ccs. The HD125 is supposed to be a strong runner also for the class. It's basically an HD200 with a smaller bore.

The PCX looks like a fine scooter. Good for Honda in adding to the 125 class options. I hope they sell a bunch.

jon
Birdmove is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 10:24 AM   #104
flatboarder
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Well how fast do those other scoots go then? I have never seen a regular 125 cc 4 stroke scooter that can run past 65 MPH out of the box.
For instance the X-Max 125 is reported to run 68mph, as is the kymco downtown.
Honda S-Wing 125 should give around 65mph.
As I already stated, the PCX will make 95km/h (60mph) according to GPS display.
This is absolute topspeed for EU version (limiter).
Thai version is a little faster, around 62mph.

Quote:
Which stock 4 strokes are putting out 15 HP? That sounds a bit high. I mean most 250 scooters like the SYM RV250 are only putting out 20 HP, and that scoot will run 91 MPH indicated!
Gilera Runner 125ST, Kymco Downtown 125i and several others.
The Yamaha X-Max 125 has got 14HP, but is reported to be quite strong.
Also the Honda S-Wing 125 has got 14-15HP.

Phil
Old 01-22-2011, 11:04 AM   #105
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatboarder View Post
For instance the X-Max 125 is reported to run 68mph, as is the kymco downtown.
Honda S-Wing 125 should give around 65mph.
As I already stated, the PCX will make 95km/h (60mph) according to GPS display.
This is absolute topspeed for EU version (limiter).
Thai version is a little faster, around 62mph.

Gilera Runner 125ST, Kymco Downtown 125i and several others.
The Yamaha X-Max 125 has got 14HP, but is reported to be quite strong.
Also the Honda S-Wing 125 has got 14-15HP.

Phil

Is the X-Max 68 MPH by GPS though? Because if not then it may be the same if it like all other scooters is optimistic.

BTW, I don't even think we have those mini maxi scooters over here. They sure look cool though!

And as for the Gilera runner, why doesn't it go faster if it has 15 HP? It is a smaller scoot, it should run faster than 65 MPH if it has as much HP as a 250.