User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-24-2011, 06:29 AM   #16
HammerMacGreed
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,443
Have a '90 pickup 6cyl 4wd that simply won't die. I was towing my girlfriends '89 pickup (4cyl 2wd) in the rain over hwy 17 to the mechanic when a woman in an SUV brake checked us. Spun around and into the ditch behind safeway on Mt Herman (had to lay 'er down ). Aside from a flat tire, no real damage, towed her truck to the mechanics the next day.

I should mention she ran her truck for 3 months with only a (1) quart of oil, and blew the head gasket. Mechanic drained the coolant from the engine, new gasket, new fluids and back to running.

HammerMacGreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 06:58 AM   #17
Bigger Al
Still a stupid tire guy

Oddometer: 7,800
We have a 1986 4x4 long-bed pickup with just over 290,000 miles on it. We've had it since November, 1989, and I just finished putting a newly-rebuilt 22-RE engine in it. It looks like hell with all of the body rust, but it runs like a champ. In 3 weeks we're going to Death Valley, using the Toyota as a trailer tug to carry the bikes and all of our camping gear.

We'll never sell it.

Steve McQueen

Bigger Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 07:28 AM   #18
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,794
I love these threads. Makes it easy to spend 70% of the price of a used Toyota on a Nissan to have the exact same experience.

There are fewer of them on the market, but if you're patient, I believe them to be every bit as reliable as the old 'yotas.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 07:37 AM   #19
CraigB
bOOb

Oddometer: 88
I have an 02 Tacoma with 136k on it. It is the only vehicle that has cured my new car every 2 years habit. Only regular maintenance needed aside from a check engine light that was cured by cleaning the maf sensor.
CraigB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 07:41 AM   #20
Anorak OP
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 32,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by EsconDeasy View Post
Toyota quality is slipping blah blah blah blah.

(Someone has to steal the initiative from the first tool to come along and ruin this fine thread)

Carry on

Edit: shizzola! 205'ed by 7 hours. Guess I should read further than the first sentence
Actually, that's an excellent subtext. I implied it with my comment about growth of the Tacoma. How much of a fight was it to get Toyota to acknowledge the head gasket issue on the three liter V-6 before they repaired them far out of warranty? Compare that to their handling off issues recently. Look up the sludge problems. How about the frame problems.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 08:44 AM   #21
HammerMacGreed
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anorak View Post
How about the frame problems.
easy fix
push up the frame until it's even
fit a couple 2x4s into the frame rails
JB weld (use the name brand, we're going for a quality fix here)
duct tape to keep water out so it won't rot the wood

wait at least 2 weeks before loading bed, so put the KLR on the side of the house until then...

HammerMacGreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 09:02 AM   #22
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,933
MY 89 Toyota 4x4 pickup went 350,000 on the first engine and entire drivetrain including the original clutch. In all that time it had exactly two break downs: a blown fuel pump relay and a bad bearing in the rear end. Total repair cost was way under $1000 over something like ten years.

Then I dropped a rebuilt motor into it along with a new clutch and drove it for another 100,000 miles before it was totalled in a crash. The last 100,000 miles saw some rust issues but still no mechanical breakdowns. The truck only even stalled once in all the years I drove it from that relay.

The thing that really blew me away was State Farm gave me $3600 for totalling a worn out truck with nearly a half million miles on it due to "local value". I even drove it home from that crash and wasn't sure I wanted to let it go until I saw that ridiculous settlement offer. Then i grabbed the check and cashed it as fast as possible.

That said, the reason it lasted so long was the pathetic little 22RE didn't make enough power to break anything. And it only got 22 mpg despite being so small and having a gutless motor. But it was absolutely, completely and utterly reliable. I could not break it. Even towing a 4000 pound boat didn't hurt it.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:22 AM   #23
Fe Man
I am Iron Moran!

Oddometer: 7,757
They have gotten too big!
My 06 quad cab LWB is longer than my Suburban; I thought I was downsizing.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:18 PM   #24
slowinfastout
6 x 275cc

Oddometer: 1,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeder View Post
I bought a 2007 Access Cab 4cyl 4x4 new in Feb of 07. Piece of shit. Rattles, shakes, and for $22k you don't even get intermittent wipers. The 4x4 dial is a joke-only works when it wants to. Gas mileage? 17-21. Not great for a 4cyl truck. Headlights automatically turn off when you open the door, and if you turn them on again, there's no buzzer to remind you that they're on.

Reliable after 48k, but I'll never buy a new Toyota again. I took it into the dealer to have them look at that the windows that rattled like crazy when cracked open, and the passenger seat that bounced around when no one was in it. Their response? The windows rattle on all the trucks, and the seats do that too. Gee, thanks. I've been tempted to look at a 99-03 Tacoma, but this one's paid off and still reliable...
Wow! Your complaining must have worked, because my 2010 Tacoma V6 TRD Access cab has none of the issues you describe, and even has intermittent (adjustable) windshield wipers.

Best truck I've ever owned, including the (7) F-150's I have and (1) Silverado. I've been real pleased with it. 17.5 mpg average with an automatic, and 4 x 4 .
Old 01-24-2011, 01:37 PM   #25
svs
All Hands on Deck!

Oddometer: 24,116
I had a 1985 4-wheel drive. Last year made with the solid axel.

svs screwed with this post 01-24-2011 at 02:11 PM
svs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 01:56 PM   #26
Anorak OP
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 32,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by svs View Post
I had a 1984 4-wheel drive. Last year made with the solid axle.
I though it was 1985 which also could be had with fuel injection.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 02:11 PM   #27
svs
All Hands on Deck!

Oddometer: 24,116
Quote:
I though it was 1985 which also could be had with fuel injection.
Yep you are correct. That was a while back.
Old 01-24-2011, 02:12 PM   #28
Roughidle
Super Star Destroyer....

Oddometer: 1,494
Quote:
I replaced the timing belt on a 1999 Tacoma with the 3.4 liter V-6. It started quickly but ran a little rough. I was careful to align the cam gears and crank timing marks. Then I noticed an arcing sound and ozone odor. I had not reconnected all of the driver side spark plugs. It ran way too well on three cylinders.

I think the small Toyota truck especially two wheel drive stick shift four cylinder is one of my favorite all general purpose vehicles. They drive so nicely. At some point though, the Tacoma has become too large. The 1999 I worked on is the right size.
I agree, though I would want a 4x4 for Michigan weather (maybe even a TRD).

Though I must admit the newer ones, while large, are quite nice to live with. I have an Aunt with one, a TRD 4x4 4 door v6. and it is SO nice to drive. I have taken it out on the beach, on a few road trips, and even a little wheelin, and it tackled all with aplomb. Loaded with 4 people, a bed full of gear, and a hitch mounted bike rack, it still got 20 mpg driving through the berkshire mountains. Pretty sweet trucks. Now if Toyota would only bring the Diesel here!
Old 01-24-2011, 02:55 PM   #29
HardCase
winter is coming

Oddometer: 9,878
I had an '89 Toyota 4x4, regular cab, put a pile of miles on it before I sold it, and loved the thing. No digital pics of that one, got rid of it (a decision I regretted for years) before digital cameras were around.

I got an '08 Regular Cab, 4x4, 4cyl. Tacoma, very basic, no intermittent wipers, no cruise-control. It does have AC, but you have to roll up the windows manually, which I discovered some younger kids these days find extremely perplexing and challenging. Anyway, it is quite a bit bigger than the '89, but I'm really pleased with it, haven't had any issues with it. I will say that I drove it on a 2800 mile round-trip shortly after buying it and it was fine, but the lack of cruise control was tiresome. And the mileage isn't great, 20mpg highway is pretty standard. Here it is:

While I was looking for a pic of the Taco to post I found this one.....was on the aforementioned trip, spending some great time with my girlfriend Lynn. That was the summer of '08, when the truck was fairly new. Sadly, she passed away (of natural causes) almost exactly a year after this pic was taken at the ripe old age of 52. I think of her every time I get into the truck. Can anyone from Montana (or elsewhere, I guess) tell where the pic was taken?

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 04:21 PM   #30
fireflyr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 438
I'm a fan of Toyota trucks. I've owned 3 pickups and recently bought an FJ Cruiser to go with a '67 FJ40. The 40 is getting a 4 wheel disc conversion at the moment.

2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer, #347
2004 XR400R Dual Sport, Baja Designs kit
2005 TTR 125 (son's)
1967 & 1971 Honda Trail 90s
fireflyr is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: