Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2011, 07:16 PM   #76
USMCG_Spyder
RPOC pilot

Oddometer: 5,124
I did my MSC at a Harley dealership via "Rider's Edge" - it was an excellent course with lots of range time. The only hassle was having to tolerate the sales pitch, tour of the dealership, etc.

We rode Buell Blasts on the range. I was a bit too tall for it but it was a fun little bike and very easy to flick around.

USMCG_Spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 07:16 PM   #77
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
I have a 2009 1200 sportster, my 3rd Harley out of many bikes.
The motor is fine, good torque, fuel injection, its been reliable, looks very good to me, that is why I bought it.
I got it for less then the Moto Guzzi V7 classic is going to cost me, and thats only 750cc's..
A 750 that has 3 less horsepower than the 1200 and it weighs 125lbs. less.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:43 PM   #78
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerk View Post
I had a similar event. wanted highway pegs for 1 1/4 bar. Instead of showing me what they could sell me, they asked what bike it was for, and said they couldn't help me.

Alot dealer need to reap what they have sown.
Same HD dealer, 2 different visits a week apart.

1st visit,
Me: I'm interested in the bar mount analog clock in the display case.
Parts Guy: whats it for?
Me: A Ural.
Parts Guy: Can't help You.

2nd visit, different parts guy.
Me: I need a tube.
Parts Guy" Whats it for?
Me: A Ural.
Parts Guy: What size You need?
Me: 400X19
Parts Guy: We don't carry that size, but can get it for You tomorrow.
Me: I'm leaving for Oregon tomorrow, want it for a spare.
Parts Guy: We have 3.50X19 in stock, It would be fine for a spare, take the 3.50X19 and if You don't use it I will exchange it for a 4.00X19 when You get back.

The only problem is some of the employees cant seperate lifestyle fantasy from business reality. Got My first 2 bikes from this dealer, now? I'm not willing to play customer service roulette.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:59 PM   #79
danger_dave
Home again

Oddometer: 3,081
I have a 2011 Street Glide test bike at the moment. The ABS brakes are as good as most in the class and the vehicle's handling - unencumbered by a silly rear tyre profile, for a large cruiser/tourer, is also very good.

It doesn't produce as much horsepower as a metric cruiser, but the engine has a character and feel that is very pleasurable to ride nonetheless and it looks great.

I personally don't think there is too much wrong with what they are making, I'd buy the test bike, I really enjoy it, but they do need products that suit a broader range of applications and buyers.

danger_dave screwed with this post 01-27-2011 at 10:07 PM
danger_dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 08:01 PM   #80
luxlogs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 279
HD engineering will do just fine in their "New Market".

China, get used to it.
82 R65LS
92 R100GS
luxlogs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 08:06 PM   #81
HammerMacGreed
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,443
just think if they had put the 1125 engine in a sporty, or made a touring bike with that engine and at say 600lbs...

HammerMacGreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:20 PM   #82
HolyCannoli
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
[QUOTE=tcourdin;15045089]Harleys never had chains.

I own a 1942 WLA which has a chain final drive.

My problem with Harley's tends to be the attitudes of SOME of the people riding them.

If I am riding my KTM sm or the NT650 most harley riders will turn their noses up, some won't even talk to me. On the rare occasion I fire up the world war 2 harley, I am the star of the show.
It really is quite pathetic.
HolyCannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:50 PM   #83
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

fixed

[QUOTE=HolyCannoli;15049145]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcourdin View Post
My problem with Harley's tends to be the attitudes of MOST of the people riding them.

If I am riding my KTM sm or the NT650 most harley riders will turn their noses up, some won't even talk to me.
You lucky lucky bastard.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:17 PM   #84
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuna Helper View Post
The 1125 Buell is a "souped up v-rod motor". The v-rod has 120 hp, the 1125 has 150.
The V-Rod motor was a joint effort between HD/Buell and Porsche- It never got into a Buell because HD wonks said they had to make it usable in a HD, too, and by the time they got done "suggesting" changes it was unsuitable for anything Erik wanted to do.

For the 1125 he got HD to admit they couldn't supply an engine that met his requirements, so he had permission to go buy one. Which he did, from Rotax.

Rotax != Porsche.

I wanted a Buell 1125ST (Sport Touring). Take an 1125R, raise the bars just a couple inches, add factory hard bags (talked to a Buell engineer who said a mounting kit from a Uly should fit with minor tweaks), and you'd have a nice SPORT touring bike at 500 pounds that would put FJR1300s and Concours14s to shame.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 10:29 PM   #85
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,536
[QUOTE=HolyCannoli;15049145]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcourdin View Post
Harleys never had chains.

I own a 1942 WLA which has a chain final drive.

My problem with Harley's tends to be the attitudes of SOME of the people riding them.

If I am riding my KTM sm or the NT650 most harley riders will turn their noses up, some won't even talk to me. On the rare occasion I fire up the world war 2 harley, I am the star of the show.
It really is quite pathetic.
I'd love to get one of those old girls, just think they're great!!

Steve
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 10:31 PM   #86
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

I like the way you think dwoodward.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:32 PM   #87
btcn OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
The problem with their bikes for me is they seem to build everything for midgets.
I have a 2009 1200 sportster, my 3rd Harley out of many bikes.
The motor is fine, good torque, fuel injection, its been reliable, looks very good to me, that is why I bought it.
I got it for less then the Moto Guzzi V7 classic is going to cost me, and thats only 750cc's.

My bike came with stupid bad ground clearance issues, to fit the dwarf's I guess, nasty crappy shocks and forks, and a worthless seat.
Its also about 75 pounds overweight.
The nasty seat locks you into position, and the pegs are too far forward and high, stock the handlebars had me leaning backwards.
The ride home from the dealers was funny, first I thought 'wow loads of low end power!'.
After that it was crash, bang grind grind grind bang, BANG.
The forks bang and crash if you hit a pebble in the road, the shocks the same, and going around a corner at car speeds will get sparks from the dragging hard parts and put you into a ditch, as you can only go as fast as a bus or overloaded big truck.
This is the 'sportster'!

Now I had an 883 sportster back in 1986, and it was nothing like this, it was similar to the 1979 Triumph Bonneville I traded in, it could lean and was not uncomfortable.
It did vibrate, and only had 4 speeds, but it was fun.
It felt light and nimble and cut through heavy traffic like a hot knife through butter.

They do not make any bike like that anymore except maybe the xr.

Its all about how the bike LOOKS, and how the little people who ride them look while riding.
Its not about riding at all.
Looks great, sounds great, runs great, its good for about 20 minutes then you want to get off, and it always feels odd.
I suspect they do it this way to get people to upgrade to a huge boat of a bike that seats 4. And yes, you CAN get it with reverse.
After all, it would not cost them anything to mount the pegs in the proper place...

Its working very well for them, as their dealerships are huge wonderful places, new, loaded with everything and customers.
The other brand dealers that are still in business look like they might not be much longer, and 3 have closed down in the last year.

Is the Sportster really that uncomfortable and bad handling? I am buying a Sportster 1200 this year, and want to know.

I know they aren't touring bike stock, so I plan on lots of upgrades, including a seat, highway pegs, bags, truck/other storage, windscreen, etc to make it a reasonable bike to tour on.

As for handling, I DO NOT expect good handling, just like any other Harley, just a "little" bit better. I don't care much as I plan on using it as a highway bike, but like the idea of it being a little bit more numble than your average Ultra Classic.

And yes, I KNOW for a FACT that Harley is not even anywhere CLOSE to going out of business, and NEVER will. But I was basically having a good laugh at the Dark custom idea and wandering if they will come up with anything better.

BTW, I guess the 1125 DOES basically have a souped up V-Rod motor. It was a damn cool bike, to bad they dropped them.
btcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 10:41 PM   #88
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by btcn View Post
Is the Sportster really that uncomfortable and bad handling? I am buying a Sportster 1200 this year, and want to know.

I know they aren't touring bike stock, so I plan on lots of upgrades, including a seat, highway pegs, bags, truck/other storage, windscreen, etc to make it a reasonable bike to tour on.

As for handling, I DO NOT expect good handling, just like any other Harley, just a "little" bit better. I don't care much as I plan on using it as a highway bike, but like the idea of it being a little bit more numble than your average Ultra Classic.

Do yourself a favor and go rent one for a weekend. You may well find that you DO NOT want to buy one.

Or, You might like the bloated feel, uninspiring power and that thing they do when accelerating out of a turn with the ill advised motor mounts.

Be careful.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:59 PM   #89
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,202
harley's well is dry. the did not deversify the harley line when times were good and now they are stuck with old & overpriced technology and buyers who are tapped out finacially. the rest of the motorcycle industry has rapidly moved ahead and buyers are buying these types of bikes. as gas prices continue to go back up with no end in sight, harley has nothing smaller for the commuter or the rest of the emerging world markets.

you know inovate or die...seems more the later is going on.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350

eakins screwed with this post 01-27-2011 at 11:05 PM
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 11:02 PM   #90
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco Stu View Post
I wonder why they don't make dirtbikes. It wouldn't conflict with their current street bike lineup and therefore wouldn't 'confuse' anyone, probably many of their existing customers would buy ones for themselves or their kids, and those young'ns might turn into Harley buyers when they grow up, instead of having 20 years of experience with Japanese manufactures.
good point. after 20yrs of using japanese technology most would look at harley and laugh.

bmw continually moved into that market and it's working for them. bmw is also realizing the scooter market. i think the problem is harley's old and in the way management. they haven't realized the glory days of the pirate is over.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote