ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 19 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-02-2010, 03:59 PM   #121
DmsFab
Banned

Oddometer: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by theantipaul View Post
We might be talking about two different things, you can import the track and any street created from OSM then babel to translate to kml, but the topo lines or anything else from Google goes away, that's what we were trying to do.

Without that and color it ends up being a jumble of lines, hard to tell what's tracks and whats a street. At least that's as far as I've gotten.

Anyone else get more out of it yet?

This is what I thought. I was trying to see if the google earth view showed up on the screen of the gps(IE: terrain maps) From what I saw in the instruction manual, you're right. It is just a bunch of random lines on the screen! Maybe a future update will give a better screen veiw!
DmsFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 11:29 AM   #122
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,903
Cool product. Kudos to the developers.

The pressure on Garmin continues.
Lobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 10:42 AM   #123
fstclyz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Any new folks using this?

I'd certainly like to try one but would like some more feedback from guys that have one.

CD
fstclyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 11:53 AM   #124
sashapave
riders on the strom

Oddometer: 1,427
Big thanks to Trail Tech for investing in this space. It makes sense and this is a very full-featured product for a version 1.0. Plus the price-point is just right.

For some people a product will never be enough to suit all their needs, and some are more polite than others in expressing this.

Trail Tech products fill a very important niche for me: Stators, lighting, bike-specific parts. In many areas there is nobody else putting out similar products, and for that I'm thankful. Keep up the great work!
A ship in port is safe, but that's not what ships are built for. -Admiral Grace Hopper
sashapave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 10:10 AM   #125
Blaise W
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 667
The Voyager looks to be almost perfect for what I want. Two of us are doing the TAT this summer, then going north on the Oregon Back Country Discovery Route, and the Washington Back Country Discovery Route. Both have gpx files available. For the TAT, the cumulative mileage is shown on the roll charts, and Voyager has a new feature, according to the conversation I had with them yesterday, that allows stopping the trip meter when you leave the trail to get gas, a motel, etc., then restart it when you hit the trail again. No mental arithmatic with the trip numbers. It doesn't "give directions" like a Garmin, but you can zoom into the trail and that should be plenty to keep us on course. We'll have a Garmin along too and that will provide topo if we need it. 'Sounds like a great unit, provides a tach which is nice, and I bought one! Plus, it's the same or less than, or the same as, a used 60Csx and a quality mount. I really like that is's Made in America too. With luck, the makers have provided for the ability to upgrade the software when and if new features become available due to user input from this forum and others.
Blaise W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 07:48 AM   #126
Special Purpose

Oddometer: 5,461
Anyone else care to share some first hand experience with the Voyager? Thinking of pulling the trigger...
309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 02:45 PM   #127
Johnf3
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by 309 View Post
Anyone else care to share some first hand experience with the Voyager? Thinking of pulling the trigger...

I have a Voyager installed on my Husaberg. I think it is perfect for what it is designed for. The "physical" connection to the bike via the wheel and engine sensor makes it much more versatile than any moto-designed GPS on the market. The GPS functions are basic but useful. It handles .gpx tracks and routes very easily via the micro SD card. The capacity for track and route storage is excellent too. It is loaded with other useful features, such as a tachometer, permanent hour meter. etc. It reads ambient temperature, engine temperature, and tons of other useful measurements.

This is not your wife's NUVI, and it is not a ZUMO with the cute little motorcycle icon pointing the way. If that is what you want, the Voyager is not the unit for you. If you want to record and download your rides, download and follow .gpx tracks/routes, and at the same time have a functioning moto-odometer plus, this is a great choice. It also downloads and records waypoints, has a compass function, etc.

The Husaberg FX comes with nothing as far as odo, hour meter, etc. I went from nothing to everything I need plus a lot more. I think Trailtech has a huge winner here. Everyone has been wanting a moto-specific GPS--here it is.
Johnf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 01:33 PM   #128
Trailtech
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Voyager: Routes and Tracks Demo

Here is a video of a process for making maps to use on Voyager:

This same process can be used to make maps of off-road areas. We used a similar process for an Open-Expert Baja 1000 team. Ride Leader is useful for cleaning up the data taken from openstreetmap.org.

Be aware, I am a Trail Tech employee.
Trailtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 03:38 PM   #129
DennyIndy
Old F@rt

Oddometer: 349
I'd like to understand how to prepare that GPX file on the Computer.
Cheers, Denny
DennyIndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 03:49 PM   #130
tmotten
Lefthand ride Dutchy

Oddometer: 2,456
Looks good to me. But as said before. I don't get a GPS to tell me when I turn left or right.
tmotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 07:51 AM   #131
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 196
Any newer/recent feedback on this thing?
98940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 03:41 PM   #132
AugustFalcon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyIndy View Post
I'd like to understand how to prepare that GPX file on the Computer.
They have some downloadable software on their site to edit GPX files and display them in what looks like a very basic way. As for making them without riding probably draw them in GoogleEarth might be the easiest way if you don't have any other mapping program like Mapsource or Basecamp. Could use Open Street Map, too, I suppose.

04 BMW R1100S
02 KTM 250 Exc Racing

SmugMug referral code: jXF8ohDWlTm56
AugustFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 04:39 PM   #133
Cpt. Ron
Advrider #128

Oddometer: 3,243
Google Maps to .gpx

If you have a route in Google Maps, you can export that to a .gpx using this:

http://www.elsewhere.org/journal/gmaptogpx/

Then you plop that into your speedo/gps.

"I don't know what you do, but I know what I do, and I don't do that." --Uncle Doug, R.I.P.
"Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible"--Reinhold Messner
Cpt. Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 11:56 AM   #134
turbinetech2
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Whats the consensus?

Looking at the Voyager and it seems to have been out for a couple of months now. I ride mostly in upper SC and lower NC with a TAT trip in the next year or two. Looks like it will serve the purpose I'm looking for in a replacement speedo for my DR with 31K miles on it. I was looking in to options for a GPS and this would be great if it fits both requirements. Anybody converted the rollmaps for the TAT to work on the Voyager yet? If so, when are you riding the trail?
Old 03-26-2011, 01:49 AM   #135
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,114
Question

Maybe I missed it but after reading through this thread I did not see the questions answered......
  • What is the base map in the unit?
  • Are updates available for the base map?
Thanks,

Jon...