Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2011, 06:31 PM   #91
Viser
Yeeeeaaaahhh!

Oddometer: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRadBaron View Post
What'cha running for rear shocks on this beast, size wise? Are they 14's, or is the chopped fender throwing me off? I bet this thing is fun on the fire roads with the 21 on the front!

Edit: That's not a 21... My bad.

Viser screwed with this post 01-29-2011 at 07:23 PM
Viser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 06:49 PM   #92
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Oddometer: 7,660
Q to TheRadBaron, those forks, what size over are they? 2" or 4" ?
Cheers
Baza
hunter_greyghost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 07:47 PM   #93
TheRadBaron
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 431
The high fenders must be misleading. The forks are very close to the stock length. The tubes are from a '79 Honda CB750F and the sliders are '74 CB450. I forget the exact measurements, but I believe this setup is within 1/2" of the stock XS650 length.
The rear shocks are Progressive 13" units with adjustable preload and damping. They work very nicely. I was thinking about using some longer shocks, but I didn't like the increased chain slack necessary with the more severe swingarm angle.
I laced the front wheel up myself and I wish that I would have gone with a 21". I've had some bad crashes off road that I am convinced wouldn't have happened with a 21.
On the subject of center stands vs. side stands, I removed my side stand since getting rid of the big mounting lug gained 1.5" more ground clearance. I never bothered to fabricate up another side stand and just rely on the center stand. It works great around town, but becomes a BIG problem off road with a heavily loaded bike.
Old 01-29-2011, 08:51 PM   #94
buffaloborn OP
EAT WINGS OR DIE

Oddometer: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viser View Post
Looks like a few nice XS's around here. Picked mine up in May last year and started playing around with a few different looks. I've decided to go with more of a Scrambler look, but this is how it sat up until the now started flying. It's been a ton of fun to play with!

What are the details on your seat? It looks really nice. I like the look of a semi-solo seat. If purchased, did you have to put the stock XS hardware on the bottom of the pan?
Old 01-30-2011, 09:42 AM   #95
twinsarehot
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viser View Post
I really like what you have going on with your bike, do you have any pics of the other side to share with us? I've been wanting to do a 2-1 exhaust but see guys saying they can't tune it right...

It's an older picture, but it's a clear shot of the exhaust. The original "exhaust" basically crumbled away when I rode it home from a friend's grandfather's barn.....I picked up the 2-1 setup used for cheap...it's from MikesXS.

Runs like a charm but getting the mix right is tricky, took about a week of checking my plugs every 20 miles before I got it right. Tuning it with a $5 homemade manometer was very helpful.

My buddy makes excellent exhausts for the xs650, he's on this site I believe, but is very active on xs650.com.

http://mysite.verizon.net/reszw9bp/

That's a link to his site.
twinsarehot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 01:26 PM   #96
Viser
Yeeeeaaaahhh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinsarehot View Post

It's an older picture, but it's a clear shot of the exhaust. The original "exhaust" basically crumbled away when I rode it home from a friend's grandfather's barn.....I picked up the 2-1 setup used for cheap...it's from MikesXS.

Runs like a charm but getting the mix right is tricky, took about a week of checking my plugs every 20 miles before I got it right. Tuning it with a $5 homemade manometer was very helpful.

My buddy makes excellent exhausts for the xs650, he's on this site I believe, but is very active on xs650.com.

http://mysite.verizon.net/reszw9bp/

That's a link to his site.
I've seen lots of talk about Gordon's work over on the XS site, I've been lurking over there off and on for just a few weeks. Gordon has a really sweet side hack XS with a nicely done up scrambler style exhaust. What I've been wanting is a High 2 -1 that goes into a reverse megaphone style exhaust, think Arrow or Zard scrambler (with out the price tag). Your setup is great, I like how the megaphone has a nice up-sweep as apposed to the Mac 2-1.

It's probably time I send an email off to Gordon and get some input. Oh, and thanks for the link.
Old 01-30-2011, 08:27 PM   #97
Viser
Yeeeeaaaahhh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffaloborn View Post
What are the details on your seat? It looks really nice. I like the look of a semi-solo seat. If purchased, did you have to put the stock XS hardware on the bottom of the pan?
Thanks for the compliment buffaloborn, the seat is a plain solo sportster seat that I got when I bought the bike, as well as a set of saddle bags and a windshield (bike came with OEM seat). When these pics were taken I had nothing but a U-bolt holding the front tongue in place and a single bolt for the rear tab that went down through the rear fender. It was fine for a few short trips up and down the road for a mock-up, but I wouldn't trust it on any long rides. I'm debating if I should trim down the original seat pan and toss the sportster foam at it to see what happens. I just haven't made up my mind yet as I also really like whats going on with the bike below.

Old 01-31-2011, 02:17 PM   #98
fixn2go
Colo. red dirt rider

Oddometer: 134
Nice looking rides ! I found an 81 I believe and added the Street tracker kit w/pipes. I now need points and new petcocks on the gas tank , the old ones are not rebuildable , the tank was second hand and I repainted it so it may be from another year . My question is who's the one to contact for parts on these old bikes ? I've fired mine up a few times but I'd like to get it up to par. Sounds like it'll wake up the whole neigborhood with the megaphones ! Thanks for the help .
fixn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 02:26 PM   #99
fleshpiston
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by fixn2go View Post
Nice looking rides ! I found an 81 I believe and added the Street tracker kit w/pipes. I now need points and new petcocks on the gas tank , the old ones are not rebuildable , the tank was second hand and I repainted it so it may be from another year . My question is who's the one to contact for parts on these old bikes ? I've fired mine up a few times but I'd like to get it up to par. Sounds like it'll wake up the whole neigborhood with the megaphones ! Thanks for the help .

I could be wrong but an 81 should have electronic ignition.

for parts..... http://www.mikesxs.net/
KLR650
fleshpiston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 10:39 PM   #100
jamesgs4
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 479
also http://www.650central.com/ for parts
jamesgs4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 04:39 AM   #101
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

http://www.mikesxs.net/
http://www.650central.com/
Both those mobs are great people, use them all the time to get parts here to OZ, haven't had any problems with shipping, etc.
Cheers
Baza
Old 02-03-2011, 06:46 AM   #102
hoggjaww
DOG ASS

Oddometer: 734
.Here is one of my projects, an old Tracy body that my brother had in the mid 70's. I found it about 5-6 years ago, haven't done anything with it as you can tell. Maybe I'll sell it, I dunno, but I know it has potential.

You're not here for a long time, you're here for a good time. - Hutchie
hoggjaww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 04:28 AM   #103
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

[QUOTE=hoggjaww;15099967].Here is one of my projects, an old Tracy body that my brother had in the mid 70's. I found it about 5-6 years ago, haven't done anything with it as you can tell. Maybe I'll sell it, I dunno, but I know it has potential.

Is that all fibreglass or a combination of materials?
Cheers
Baza
Old 02-05-2011, 06:12 AM   #104
hoggjaww
DOG ASS

Oddometer: 734
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter_greyghost View Post

Is that all fibreglass or a combination of materials?
Cheers
Baza
It is all fiberglass except for the bung for the fuel cap and taps for the petcocks which are steel.

You're not here for a long time, you're here for a good time. - Hutchie
hoggjaww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 08:30 AM   #105
BIG ED XT FAN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,187
Xs 650 for off road?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter_greyghost View Post
http://www.mikesxs.net/
http://www.650central.com/
Both those mobs are great people, use them all the time to get parts here to OZ, haven't had any problems with shipping, etc.
Cheers
Baza
Hunter, Hi, How the TT600 and XT 600 do it the ocr? I have a XT600 and a TT600 too. Also a Xs650 for the street and putting together a XS 650 for the dirt. I putting a XT500 front end on and will put a 2 into 1 high exhaust. Run a big can it the end. 13 inch rear shocks too. What length are you running on your xs 650? A Xt500 rear wheel too. Gearing? I run a 18 tooth on my road 650 and no vibs. Thanks ED
BIG ED XT FAN is offline   Reply With Quote