Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-29-2011, 07:11 PM   #76
MZcountryboy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelJM1 View Post
Try a starter in an LS400 and get back to me.
Same deal as a Tundra - pull the intake plenum. BTDT. I'd rather lean over a car fender pulling intake manifolds than having to climb up + over the Tundra front end, but that's me. The lower the fender, the less my back hurts.

Why does toyota think this is good design? Their starters aren't going to go bad? WTF.

Changing a steering rack in an Audi A4 is easier than swapping some Toyota starters. That just should not be.
MZcountryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 09:02 PM   #77
SteelJM1
Undercover KTM rider

Oddometer: 1,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by MZcountryboy View Post
Same deal as a Tundra - pull the intake plenum. BTDT. I'd rather lean over a car fender pulling intake manifolds than having to climb up + over the Tundra front end, but that's me. The lower the fender, the less my back hurts.

Why does toyota think this is good design? Their starters aren't going to go bad? WTF.

Changing a steering rack in an Audi A4 is easier than swapping some Toyota starters. That just should not be.
Maybe it was the 430 I was thinking of... Disconnect driveshaft, exhaust, drop the engine and tranny a bit, use a really REALLY long (im talking aobut 60") ratchet extension to get to the starter bolts. It's been years so I forget the exact details.

But i could replace a 3.0 liter V6 in my sleep. And take apart the whole dashboard of an RX330. In my sleep.
SteelJM1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 04:30 AM   #78
MZcountryboy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,467
Quote:
Maybe it was the 430 I was thinking of... Disconnect driveshaft, exhaust, drop the engine and tranny a bit, use a really REALLY long (im talking aobut 60") ratchet extension to get to the starter bolts. It's been years so I forget the exact details.
That sounds familar - 5 extensions, plus a u-joint?

Quote:
And take apart the whole dashboard of an RX330. In my sleep.
And some people think PTSD only happens to military/LEO types.

You poor, poor, man.

MZcountryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 10:08 AM   #79
Anorak OP
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 33,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by MZcountryboy View Post
Yeah, - I'm sorry 'bout my lousy attitude. I take it you haven't put a starter in a tundra yet.

Put a Lingenfelter Superram on a L-98 Corvette. Or blah blah blah I've had to do worse jobs than you. How about the steering gear on a Bentley S1? The front seat has to come out as well as the dash. The dash is grain matched walnut burl. Enjoy the pissing and moaning contest.

How about all of the brakes on a 767 in one shift because it has to be at the gate at 0730.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 10:13 AM   #80
Bigger Al
Still a stupid tire guy

Oddometer: 7,861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anorak View Post
Put a Lingenfelter Superram on a L-98 Corvette. Or blah blah blah I've had to do worse jobs than you. How about the steering gear on a Bentley S1? The front seat has to come out as well as the dash. The dash is grain matched walnut burl. Enjoy the pissing and moaning contest.

How about all of the brakes on a 767 in one shift because it has to be at the gate at 0730.
Did a 737 like that years ago.................................not too much fun.

Steve McQueen

Bigger Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 10:16 AM   #81
Anorak OP
Woolf Barnato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigger Al View Post
Did a 737 like that years ago.................................not too much fun.
A&P lurker. Leading edge slat lube on a 757 at 0100 in December at SFO behind B-29. It was deferred from BOS because of temperature. They would of been in a hanger. We did it outside.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

Old 01-30-2011, 11:44 AM   #82
Bigger Al
Still a stupid tire guy

Oddometer: 7,861
Quote:
A&P lurker. Leading edge slat lube on a 757 at 0100 in December at SFO behind B-29. It was deferred from BOS because of temperature. They would of been in a hanger. We did it outside.
That doesn't sound too pleasurable at all.

I spent my fair share of time at B-29, mostly doing lightning strike repairs on nights. That was a long push with a roll-around box. I was a mech. for United in the mid-80's at SFO.

I had to get back to Dock 4 one morning in a rainstorm that had me thinking about animals 2-by-2 and arks and things, and there was 6" of standing water on the ramp as the drains couldn't handle the flow. I'd covered the box with plastic sheet, but it still managed to get a couple of gallons into the drawers.

Back on topic:

My newly-rebuilt 22RE has about 700 miles on it now and is purring like a big ol' kitten!

Steve McQueen

Bigger Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 01:26 PM   #83
woods wizard
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 752
Quote:
Let me say that changing the starter motor in a 1999 Tacoma 4X4 automatic is quite fun and enjoyable especially dropping the steering rack to get the fucking thing out. I debated pulling the axle instead but it looked less fun.
None of that is neccesary, pull r/f wheel, remove access plate, remove 2 bolts holding dip stick tube, unbolt brake line bracket dont disconnect. Turn the starter motor sideways & remove from access hole. I can do it in less than 1 hour. On the 3.4L Tacoma Tbelt, there is a special tool for compressing belt tensioner & inserting a grenade pin. No need to remove a/c compressor. The whole job w w/ pump, new seals takes about 2 hours tops. GRAAAAAVY. The 3.4L also had a head gasket recall, not for leaking internally though. They leaked coolant externally. Recall # X01. 88 -95 3.0L has been issued again, Recall # V06. We are replacing frames on Tacomas & Tundras everday. Recall # 90D. You can blame Dana for that one. Yes, all fuel injected trucks from 1984 & up have an E.C.U. All 4cyl. motors have always been chain motors, earliest had a double row chain, later ones 86 i beleive went to single row bicycle chain. Thats when the chain problems started. If you catch it soon enough you could just replace the tensioner w updated one. I personally have 91 4cyl 2wd deluxe, still hauls ass. 92 4Runner V6 4wd which I got paid to replace the short block in under warranty. Also have 07 Tundra V6 2wd, loaded w the works. Gets better fuel economy than either of my old ones. The new ones ride so much better , & have so much creature comfort. I wouldnt trade for anything less.
woods wizard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 01:53 PM   #84
neanderthal
globeriding wannabe

Oddometer: 1,880
My ideal rig
Old 01-30-2011, 03:11 PM   #85
Anorak OP
Woolf Barnato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigger Al View Post
That doesn't sound too pleasurable at all.

I spent my fair share of time at B-29, mostly doing lightning strike repairs on nights. That was a long push with a roll-around box. I was a mech. for United in the mid-80's at SFO.

I had to get back to Dock 4 one morning in a rainstorm that had me thinking about animals 2-by-2 and arks and things, and there was 6" of standing water on the ramp as the drains couldn't handle the flow. I'd covered the box with plastic sheet, but it still managed to get a couple of gallons into the drawers.

Back on topic:

My newly-rebuilt 22RE has about 700 miles on it now and is purring like a big ol' kitten!
Actually, it was a lot of fun. If you're working with the right people, there aren't too many jobs that suck. Changing all the seat cushions on a 707 wasn't fun. It was disgusting. Did you know Kevin Sloan or Vitou Mam? Both airframe inspectors.

Old 01-30-2011, 03:19 PM   #86
PecosBill
Get off my f'n lawn!

Oddometer: 41,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by neanderthal View Post

You planning on an trip to one of the poles?

Save $5 on your new SmugMug account, go to: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=K0vxRpKbulMhM
PecosBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 03:33 PM   #87
neanderthal
globeriding wannabe

Oddometer: 1,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by PecosBill View Post
You planning on an trip to one of the poles?
Nope.

But there's is always global catastrophic climate change...

Other than the winter stuff, those trucks, as equipped, would work well anywhere in the world.

Seriously, I want those for our farm in Africa.
Old 01-30-2011, 03:53 PM   #88
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,892
Quote:
I think the small Toyota truck especially two wheel drive stick shift four cylinder is one of my favorite all general purpose vehicles. They drive so nicely. At some point though, the Tacoma has become too large. The 1999 I worked on is the right size.
I've long lamented that Toyota fails to import a 4cyl 5spd Tacoma to Canada. Few weeks ago I spotted a clean Tacoma on a nearby used car lot and thought "That looks odd."

Swung in to give it a closer look and turns out it's a Texas truck. A '98 with 4wd, 4cyl and 5spd. In really nice shape, too. Whoot!

Had no idea these were available in the US.

Now that I know I might start keeping one eye on craigslist in a few southwestern US cities.

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 04:34 PM   #89
PecosBill
Get off my f'n lawn!

Oddometer: 41,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by neanderthal View Post
Nope.

But there's is always global catastrophic climate change...

Other than the winter stuff, those trucks, as equipped, would work well anywhere in the world.

Seriously, I want those for our farm in Africa.

I see no practical use for that much tire in non flotation situations.

Save $5 on your new SmugMug account, go to: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=K0vxRpKbulMhM
PecosBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 04:37 PM   #90
madeouttaglass
The AntiHarley

Oddometer: 3,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
I've long lamented that Toyota fails to import a 4cyl 5spd Tacoma to Canada. Few weeks ago I spotted a clean Tacoma on a nearby used car lot and thought "That looks odd."

Swung in to give it a closer look and turns out it's a Texas truck. A '98 with 4wd, 4cyl and 5spd. In really nice shape, too. Whoot!
Price? Maybe you should have considered it?
madeouttaglass is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: