Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2011, 01:18 PM   #121
rockinrog OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,802
I started my adventure camping with a 20 year old walmart style cheapo.... but after a rainy weekend where I almost drown I decided it was time to invest in some quality gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARIAH View Post
Great report.
I've got the same tent.
rockinrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 01:21 PM   #122
rockinrog OP
Beastly Adventurer

I think verizon is the best service on the BRP. I traveled it with a buddy that had att and he was borrowing my phone to call home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivefastandswerve View Post
Old 01-14-2011, 07:51 PM   #123
markcap
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 362
More fog!

I rode the BRP on the way to a V-Strom gathering in TN on that trip. I rode back roads home rather than Rt-81. Rode a lot of W VA too. Great roads in W VA and lots of neat old farms. I think it was a 2,200 mile trip in all. I'm losing it! Gotta get back this May.

Picture on top of Mt Mitchell on a cool, wet & foggy day. It was sunny 2000' below and a lot less windy too.
Attached Images

markcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 08:37 AM   #124
BlueSkyGuy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 411
Thats what the brotherhood is for

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrog View Post
I like hearing about the stuff just off the parkway. I am learning the prky but unless you get off at every exit its hard to know what is around with the no sign policy .... I guess it helps with keeping the parkway pure.. but it sure whould be noce to have little signs letting you know if food/gas is available close.

or sisterhood for the better half of the riding public. Seriously word of mouth and multiple trips have pointed out the better things on the BRP. So you must return often.
BlueSkyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 05:19 PM   #125
rockinrog OP
Beastly Adventurer

Anyone else ready for spring? One thing nice about taking a lot of pics on a trip is that you can re-live it in the winter while reading your own ride report haha... though I have to say I am looking a lot more froward to spring than I am fall right now.
Old 01-29-2011, 12:15 AM   #126
Riff
Legend - In my Mind

Oddometer: 307
Anyone else ready for spring? One thing nice about taking a lot of pics on a trip is that you can re-live it in the winter while reading your own ride report haha... though I have to say I am looking a lot more froward to spring than I am fall right now.

Rog I am so wanting spring to come at least maybe some milder weather than a foot of snow we just got! Yesterday would have been great for Spring to have arrived. Having said that here is why I am sooooo anxious!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDb3ecn09tc

Thanks again for this great thread. I am still researching and learning from it!
Old 01-29-2011, 12:29 AM   #127
rockinrog OP
Beastly Adventurer

Wow congrats on the new bike... did you bring it home yet? I think I would hurt myself on that...great looking bike.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riff View Post
Rog I am so wanting spring to come at least maybe some milder weather than a foot of snow we just got! Yesterday would have been great for Spring to have arrived. Having said that here is why I am sooooo anxious!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDb3ecn09tc

Thanks again for this great thread. I am still researching and learning from it!
Old 01-29-2011, 01:28 PM   #128
Riff
Legend - In my Mind

Oddometer: 307
Thanks Rog! I do love my bike. No I have had her since 09. If you have some time to waist ck out my RR "Mountains of the East" I've got some pics of her there. The link I sent you was BMW's promo link for my bike. And like you when you live to ride and have a great ride you want to get out on the road as soon and as much as possible.
Thanks Again Riff
Old 01-30-2011, 11:23 AM   #129
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,708
Just stumbled on your report. Very nice pics, commentary and information rockinrog. Like everyone else that has posted, this is one I've been wanting to do for awhile now too. I want to spend two weeks(?) doing it and exploring all the side roads too.
I've bookmarked quite a few links off this RR! Thanks to everyone who posted them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark2wheeler View Post
It also has the Appalachian Trail pass near the campground.I had considered camping there and maybe hiking a few miles along the trail to see what it's like.It would be interesting to observe the hikers on the trail also.
Most of the Northbound thru hikers are passing Loft mountain around Late April to late May. Southbound I'm not too sure of but they would be long gone by September/October. The hiking on top of the mountain is great whether you see wildlife(thru hikers ) or wildlife(deer, bears, etc.).

Quote:
I skipped Shyline Drive this time. I had done it before and enjoyed the Blue Ridge Parkway so much more that I decided to take 640?
I think you meant 340.

Another inmate I know is planning a trip down the BRP this spring. I'll send him the link to this report!

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 11:29 AM   #130
rockinrog OP
Beastly Adventurer

Yes 340. The first trip down I did the Skyline on Columbus Day weekend.. I am guessing because all the federal employees from the DC area had a long weekend it was jammed full of cars/people so I skipped it this time.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:19 AM   #131
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,326
Quote:
...first trip down I did the Skyline ... skipped it this time.
Smart move, Roger. Skyline blows. Lots of events up there bring lots of traffic. And the speed limit is a paltry 35 and you definitely want to go faster if it's going to be any fun. But the gustapo hide in the bushes up there to check your speed with radar, and then claim you were trying to run from them because they were trying to catch up to you for miles Even with stopping at several overlooks along the way for a quick peek
DAMHIK
There are some pretty views on the Skyline but it's just not worth it having to go so slow, some cagers go less than 35, and even paying for the aggravation to boot.

BRP is so much better! And to get there from where you live, there's back roads a lot sweeter than Skyline (and 340). Feel free to get with me if you're interested in some alternatives. I'm hoping to do the whole BRP in one trip also. I'm not sure what kind of itinerary will work best, but I'm starting to research it (hence read your thread, thanks!). I'm thinking 3 nights min. That's without any extra exploring. Not sure what else I might include; not imperative to do the Cherohala/Dragon loop again, although it would be nice to stay a night in Tellico Plains, TN at Hunt's Motorcycle Lodge.
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 02:26 PM   #132
rockinrog OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
Smart move, Roger. Skyline blows. Lots of events up there bring lots of traffic. And the speed limit is a paltry 35 and you definitely want to go faster if it's going to be any fun. But the gustapo hide in the bushes up there to check your speed with radar, and then claim you were trying to run from them because they were trying to catch up to you for miles Even with stopping at several overlooks along the way for a quick peek
DAMHIK
There are some pretty views on the Skyline but it's just not worth it having to go so slow, some cagers go less than 35, and even paying for the aggravation to boot.

BRP is so much better! And to get there from where you live, there's back roads a lot sweeter than Skyline (and 340). Feel free to get with me if you're interested in some alternatives. I'm hoping to do the whole BRP in one trip also. I'm not sure what kind of itinerary will work best, but I'm starting to research it (hence read your thread, thanks!). I'm thinking 3 nights min. That's without any extra exploring. Not sure what else I might include; not imperative to do the Cherohala/Dragon loop again, although it would be nice to stay a night in Tellico Plains, TN at Hunt's Motorcycle Lodge.
Always interested in alternative routes. 340 gets me off of 81 but still lets me make pretty good time on the way down. I think I said in the report I started coming back on 81 after I got off the parkway and man the wind... it sucked,, I thought I just picked a bad day, but I was reading in another thread someone said its always windy in that area. I ended up getting off 81 and coming back on 522.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:52 PM   #133
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
Always interested in alternative routes. ...
Hey Rocker, try this on for size. Coming down 522, break off around Lake Holiday and work your way to 259; head south. Take this joker into WV, all the way to back into VA, to Hopkins Gap Rd. in Fulks Run. South until this road meets up with 613, turn right onto 613 to keep heading South. Once south of Bridgewater, take any combination of roads to work your way East and South to Rockfish Rd, (e.g., Spring Creek / 42 / Fadley / US11 / 256 just over river) which parallels 340 from Grottoes to Waynesboro. Rockfish Rd. eventually dumps you out on 340 via Hopeman Pkwy. Simply advance to 250 and head East up the mountain to BRP entrance. If you're like me, having a sweet ride trumps making good time!
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
Old 02-03-2011, 06:18 AM   #134
Dirtgeek

Oddometer: n/a
Thanks for the ride report rockinrog. My wife and I did a similiar ride last summer as well. We rode the entire BRP northbound and continued on Skyline Drive and hung a left and headed for West Virginia after about 70 miles of Skyline. Skyline was a bit too laid back but still beautiful. It helped that the traffic was light on Skyline.

Ride well and often

Al
Attached Images

Old 02-03-2011, 06:34 AM   #135
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Sweet pic, dirtgeek!