Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2011, 08:12 PM   #31
space
a.k.a. Jake

Oddometer: 2,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvr929rr View Post
Why on earth would it be heavier.
Well, the liquid cooling system obviously weighs something. If those other engines made it to a liquid-cooled generation without gaining net weight, then they must have lost it elsewhere.

I'm skeptical that the BMW boxer engine has that much to lose. It already lost a good bit of weight between the 1150 and 1200 generations. The HP2 Enduro engine is a bit lighter still, but that was at the sacrifice of a counter balancer, so not as smooth.

But hey, I'm no engineer, and there's always room for more clever design. Regardless, the additional complexity is indisputable, and I am not interested in that.
space is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:45 PM   #32
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer: 1,436
Triumph 1200?

I don't see the boxer engine on the page 1 picture, do I?
Could it be the new 1200 Triumph, Triumph's seem to look like BMW's but they are not BMW's
Why would I move the shaft drive to the left?

tallguy-09 screwed with this post 02-03-2011 at 09:07 PM
tallguy-09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:56 PM   #33
Dark Helmet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by BordenBmw View Post
It was just a matter of time before BMW had to switch from air to water cooled. If they decide to go with a wet clutch, that would be an improvement. Air cooled is the main reason I started to look at that engine and I still prefer an air cooled engine, a lots easier to work on then water cooled engine. I will miss the old engine, but I'm still very interested to see what the new one is going to look like.

Some of you may be getting all excited about this, but I see this as analagous to what car companies do with successful cars. They have to "improve" them each year so they make them bigger and clutter them up with accessories that bastardize the concept. While technology improved on the airhead design (EFI is a great example in my view), BMW keeps adding electric this and ring that with servo assisted whatever. I don't want all that. I want a simple, easy to maintian and fixable bike wherever you find yourself. Give me a clutch cable versus hydraulic. I'll take manually adjustable shocks over EWS. Why the hell would you put that ring antenae crap on a bike that you take around the world? Just something else to break!

Sorry, but a radiator is more complexity, something else to go wrong, something that adds to the difficulty (and expense) of service. Yes boxers get hot in traffic, but do I want to add all that crap?

I am not anti improvement. I would take a wet clutch, but only if its more accessible and easier to fix than the current dry single plate clutch. I like the current clutch, but it is not easily servicable anywhere but the dealer.

So some of you may get excited about the radiators, but count me out. I like simple for this kind of bike.
Suzuki DRZ 400S
Dark Helmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:25 PM   #34
BCC
I know better

Oddometer: 8,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Krupa View Post
Some of you may be getting all excited about this, but I see this as analagous to what car companies do with successful cars. They have to "improve" them each year so they make them bigger and clutter them up with accessories that bastardize the concept. While technology improved on the airhead design (EFI is a great example in my view), BMW keeps adding electric this and ring that with servo assisted whatever. I don't want all that. I want a simple, easy to maintian and fixable bike wherever you find yourself. Give me a clutch cable versus hydraulic. I'll take manually adjustable shocks over EWS. Why the hell would you put that ring antenae crap on a bike that you take around the world? Just something else to break!

Sorry, but a radiator is more complexity, something else to go wrong, something that adds to the difficulty (and expense) of service. Yes boxers get hot in traffic, but do I want to add all that crap?

I am not anti improvement. I would take a wet clutch, but only if its more accessible and easier to fix than the current dry single plate clutch. I like the current clutch, but it is not easily servicable anywhere but the dealer.

So some of you may get excited about the radiators, but count me out. I like simple for this kind of bike.
The problem is Larry, you're not the target market. And they're doing well leaving you behind.

But don't worry for BMW. If this thing makes 20-30% more power, I'll buy it. They'll suck me in again.

Cherish the memories------Ken OBSC
BCC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:28 PM   #35
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,842
Quote:
I like the gadgets. I don't care about water cooling though. The only advantage to that will be that the water will dampen the rattling noise so a boxer will not sound as if someone forgot some nuts in the chambers ...
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:34 PM   #36
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by DELTATANGO View Post
I can see what it is.

I bet you that it won't be on the next iteration.

It is a marketing thing.
You really have nothing of value to add, do you?

Jim

PS Just like PeterK
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 10:09 PM   #37
lwm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy View Post
Would you speculate that it's a dry or wet clutch?
Dear God, please, a wet clutch. Please.
lwm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 11:03 PM   #38
yellowbirdrs
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 967
it's says 8 valves DOHC engine double plug fuel injection 1270cc with a 14.5kg of torque and 128 bhp. New front beak and the headlight like the one in the F800

yellowbirdrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 11:06 PM   #39
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer: 1,436
Sure the Boxer future will look "cool" but I don't think its a BMW, Triumph has a test & engineering facility in Spain...not sure what's wrong with the dry clutch, does it make sense not to have one? How else can you keep the engine reasonably short, yes there must be a rear wheel somewhere :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwm View Post
Dear God, please, a wet clutch. Please.
tallguy-09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 01:42 AM   #40
Semper Fi
Runs with Scissors

Oddometer: 872
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowbirdrs View Post
it's says 8 valves DOHC engine double plug fuel injection 1270cc with a 14.5kg of torque and 128 bhp. New front beak and the headlight like the one in the F800
14.5 kgm = 104.9 lb-ft of torque

Not too shabby for the ol' girl
IBA #35651

Semper Fi screwed with this post 02-04-2011 at 05:28 AM Reason: spelling
Semper Fi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 02:01 AM   #41
viz
I Ride Ms Piggy

Oddometer: 1,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC View Post

But don't worry for BMW. If this thing makes 20-30% more power, I'll buy it. They'll suck me in again.
Yup - me too

viz
viz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 02:02 AM   #42
moist
Thaumaturgist

Oddometer: 180
Interesting, maybe it will be a good bike, I'll wait for a few years to work out the bugs.
Old 02-04-2011, 03:59 AM   #43
vagueout
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,562
Quote:

So i'm not the only one who holds this opinion.
Old 02-04-2011, 04:53 AM   #44
jogo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semper Fi View Post
No big deal - splitting hairs - it is cooled one way or the other but not with air
They are all air cooled, some just use a liquid to transport the heat but as you said -splitting hairs-
jogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 04:54 AM   #45
facetjoint
TONKA

Oddometer: 5,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowbirdrs View Post
I guess I'll need to start saving for my next GS
I'm betting on the price of the thing that a potential buyer best be looking for a part time job and a paper route and pick up aluminum cans on the side.
facetjoint is offline   Reply With Quote