n00b

Oddometer: 1
Nice bike!
Russian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 07:24 PM   #3
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,316
One here, '03 Naked. Stuck on a double head light like a Speed triple, set of CF Yosh's, Buell pegs, and an S model chin spoiler. Along with a set of Heli-Bar risers, very comfortable and quick bike.

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 09:16 AM   #4
Dalmatino OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russian View Post
Nice bike!

Thnx...need get around to painting that front wheel black before spring.
Heres one more...
Attached Images

Dalmatino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 12:07 PM   #5
mmitchell57
Vulcan Halfbreed

Oddometer: 2,193
07 SV1k here too. I have the all black model. Did a 04 GSXR 750 fork conversion and added Givi bags w/ a Superbike bar kit. Great bike.

1969 CB350 - Restoration Project
1962 Ford Fairlane 500 - Restoration / DD project
mmitchell57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 12:14 PM   #6
Sune
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 340
I am seriously lusting for a SV1000N, and have been for a long time.

Right now they're going kinda cheap here (not that much more than a SV650), and I'm really tempted, but I know nothing about those bikes and I've never ridden one.

What are the pro's/cons of the naked SV1000?

I just love the thought of riding a big v-twin. I'd love to own something like an aprilia RSV Mille (since i'm very passionate about aprilia), but it's much more expensive than the SV.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:20 PM   #7
mmitchell57
Vulcan Halfbreed

Oddometer: 2,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sune View Post
I've only had SV650 and SV1000 to compare in the sport bike world. I've ridden a lot of cruisers. The SV1k has a lot more guts then the 650. It's quicker then anything I'll ever need. It handles really well. It's all I'll ever really need in a sport tourer other then a passenger support.

The only complaints I hear is comfort. I fixed my problems by going to upright bars, not a problem on the N model. Outside of that, it should be a good reliable bike with gobs of torque.

1969 CB350 - Restoration Project
1962 Ford Fairlane 500 - Restoration / DD project
mmitchell57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 12:50 PM   #8
Mr.Goose
Velvet Steamroller

Oddometer: 1,229
These things have a ridiculous engine in them. I had a short 10 month relationship with mine. Terrible suspension and brakes, I should kept it and bought better brakes and suspension for it.

But man that engine...top speeds near 160mph, no kidding. That thing just screamed. And even new they didn't sell well so you could pick up a brand new one for $6500-7000 after letting them sit in the showroom for a couple years.

I did the Yoshi 3/4 TRC system (NLA now) and a power commander, but it wallowed like crazy in the turns and always spun the rear wheel if you even came close to the paint.

The only thing I'd change on my current Superduke is to give it the top end of an SV1000S.

Mr.Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 03:51 PM   #9
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,316
Quote:

Right now they're going kinda cheap here (not that much more than a SV650), and I'm really tempted, but I know nothing about those bikes and I've never ridden one.

I just love the thought of riding a big v-twin. I'd love to own something like an aprilia RSV Mille (since i'm very passionate about aprilia), but it's much more expensive than the SV.
Think of it as a "Sucati" monster.

I never found the brakes on my N model to be anything less than great. There are plenty of fixes for the suspension, which is actually more than adequate for anything up to 8/10s. To me the seat is the worst part.

The pros are a killer motor with power everywhere in the power band, great sound, smooth engine with just enough vibes to let you know it's there. Maintenance? Change the oil. No ridiculously short valve adjustment sequence as on the Italian bikes

By installing the Buell foot pegs you drop them about an inch (2.5cm) and then add Heli-Bar risers to bring them up and back and you have a touring quality position, except for that F**King seat. There are aftermarket fixes for that too.
I had a SV650 which handled better in the tight stuff and was a lot of fun, but the amazing rush from the 1000cc engine cannot be denied!

I've never met anyone who had one that was unhappy with it. Go for it!

Speedo66 screwed with this post 02-04-2011 at 03:57 PM
Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 08:10 PM   #10
D.T.
One wheel wonder...

Oddometer: 9,617
D.T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 08:34 PM   #11
TAS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 489
Just sold my '07. Great bike!
TAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 11:02 AM   #12
jfurf
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 942
Quote:

I have an 03 SV1000n. I absolutely love, love, love this bike. Consdering that they cost about as much as an SV650, why NOT go for the liter SV?

I bought mine with 16,000 miles on it and have put about 12,000 on it over the past seven months.

I haven't had a single mechanical issue with it and find it extremely comfortable ergonomically. I routinely do 350 mile sporty rides in the mountains and feel great at the end of the day. It's got the perfect amount of a power for a street bike, imo.

The only downsides: It's not the flashiest looking bike out there. Very subdued and conservative looking, which you may or may not like. Also, the suspension seems to wallow a bit (under-damped? not sure) when cornering at high speeds but this isn't really much of an issue on public streets... for me anyway. It's a very simple bike. No ABS, no traction control, no heated grips or other features.

But they got a lot of things right: smooth fueling, great transmission, nice light clutch, very nice torque curve, great riding position. I use it for one-up sport touring with soft panniers and it's fantastic. It's also great in urban traffic (narrow and light) and doesn't overheat on hot summer days in the city.
jfurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 07:45 PM   #13
ganze
apocalyptic defender

Oddometer: 441
love my 07

racetech springs and a zx6 shock fixed any of my suspension issues. the thing rocks and i got it otd for cheap in early 08. nothing out there like it. vtwin soul + japanese reliability + every day ergo's + CHEAP to buy and insure make it near perfect for me.

will find a pic.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:59 AM   #14
ganze
apocalyptic defender

Oddometer: 441
not mine but its a nice one
Old 02-06-2011, 10:37 AM   #15
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 29,884
FUN bike. I'd like to see one with upright ergos, ABS, belt drive and a larger tank. I'd have a hard time not buying it.

Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote