Old 02-04-2011, 02:09 PM   #61
Semper Fi
Runs with Scissors

Oddometer: 872
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike E View Post
http://solomoto.es/articulo/12968083...e-bmw-ya-rueda

Again, via Google translate:

Very fast work of the Bayerische Motoren Werke, a lot. Following the launch of its six cylinders, the K 1600 GT, the renewal of its R 1200 R and the development of future work as the maxi-scooter and electric scooter, the next revolution, the nth-generation boxer engine is already running. And the test are that we showed you spy photos of poor quality, what matters is not quality, but the news. Typically, the bikes were rolling late this year to begin to occur in September 2012, but no, the bikes fitted with the new liquid-cooled boxer has started to roll now, and are circulating in our country.

The news came to the writing by one of our readers, Gerard Llauradó. Owner of a R 1200 GS, while driving his company car in his rearview mirror he saw a couple of bikes that came near him. He quickly realized that those bikes were slightly different from yours, so took the phone and managed to shoot two good pictures, which we showed in these here. Gerard tells you: "I send this e-mail to show you three pictures that I have them today in the area of Tarragona to what appear to be two new R 1200 GS Adventure model. I have one, and when he saw him in the mirror, I first thought that there were two F 800 GS, because they were not like mine and showed a picture lighter and slimmer. After chasing a few kilometers at a speed not very wise, I've been able to do these two photos. Apologies for the right quality, are made from my mobile phone and running. The truth is that really surprised me because I had no idea that BMW had its renovation so advanced. "

Details
The new boxer engine externally looks the same, but the first thing you notice is that the shaft is on the left side and the single exhaust system, high, is on the right side, totally in contrast to the R 1200. The cylinders, with a slight fluttering, totally changed: the exhaust manifold out through the bottom and admission is on the upper surface of the cylinder, now in the opposite direction of travel ", with very straight lines. Obviously, the engine is an eight-valve, DOHC, twin spark and fuel injection, although its displacement would be about 1,270 cc, it would give a torque of 14.5 kgm and a power close to 128 hp. What about the radiator? Well camouflaged between the plastic covers and front fenders, which, though different, retain some similarity to the current model. The front of the bike is brand new, more aerodynamic, with a different high fenders and a new asymmetrical headlamps, similar to the F 800.

For now, these are all we could gather data on future R 1300 GS with liquid cooled boxer engine. Given the lateness of its development, the bike seems very well finished, "do not be surprised that the new GS came into production in September this year and give marketing beginning in early 2012. We will be watching.

These are the main new features:
MOTOR liquid cooling of inlet and outlet placed in the top and bottom of the cylinder respectively.
RADIATOR cooling above the rocker Telelever, tucked between the plastic and the front fenders.
CARDAN located on the left side of the bike, totally unlike the current R 1200 engine.
QUIET exhaust exit on the right side. Hold the shaft on the left side there is no room for the passage of the collector. Look at the bags in the other photo.
FRONT modified with new leadership, plastics, fenders, fender high and optical. It closely resembles an actual Adventure R 1200 GS, but different.
Thanks for the translations!!
IBA #35651
Semper Fi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 03:50 PM   #62
Dorian
Xlg carbon footprint

Oddometer: 666
Bluhduh

IMO the venerable 1200(1300)GS is veering down the wrong path. Should this new info be true BMW is tuning it to a technological standstill. But they can't help it - they're BMW after all - it is what they do. Getting further and further away from what the GS was originally intended to be. I would love to have a new/current 1200GS but instead of continuing refinement of the current air-cooled boxer they seem to be caught up in a techno arms race with the looming competition in the market. Water cooling - okay if you have to. More power? How much does a GS need!?

By the time I can afford a "new" 12(1300)GS - it'll have to be a nice, used, underpowered, air-cooled 2010 model. Which is fine as I'm not keen on the direction BMW is taking the big GS. For now I'm loving my 1100GS more every day! But I'm obviously not the average 50-something male motorcyclist they're aiming at

At any rate, it will be fun to watch how it plays out for the next couple of model years.

www.psermc.org

Dorian screwed with this post 02-05-2011 at 06:42 AM
Dorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 04:19 PM   #63
amadeusroy
Bosshole

Oddometer: 53
Cool2 2012 1200 GS Engine to be Liquid-cooled

From Hellforleather Mag:

Quote:
A SoloMoto.es reader spied what appears to be an undisguised, liquid-cooled replacement for the BMW R1200GS testing on a Spanish highway. In addition to the new motor, it looks like the beak has been sharpened up, the paralever swingarm/drive shaft has been moved to the bike’s left side and the exhaust canister to the right. Why liquid-cooling when the rugged simplicity of the air-cooled boxer suited the GS so well?

Motorcycle emission standards are being dramatically tightened in Europe over the next few years. Bikes currently need to meet the Euro III standard while cars are tasked with Euro V. Euro IV is being rolled out to motorcycles in 2012 and Euro V in 2015. Current proposals have that changing dramatically by 2020, with both cars and bikes needing to meet the even tougher Euro VI standard that year. Emissions standards in the rest of the world, including the US, are also expected to tighten over the next decade.

BMW’s air-cooled boxer engine is already stretched to deliver competitive power levels while meeting Euro III standards, so liquid-cooling is needed to maintain or increase performance while decreasing noise and pollutants.

SoloMoto says the 2012 BMW R1200GS’s radiator is located above the rocker arm of the Telelever front suspension, similarly to the tiny oil-cooler on the current bike. This arrangement should serve to protect it from damage while off-roading or in a crash.
OH NO! I was going to buy the 2011 GSA. But regardless, what are your thoughts on this? I know the engine has been oil/air cooled for the longest time.
amadeusroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 04:27 PM   #64
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,231
Merged... again..

next we'll start getting the photochop's and artist's renderings...
Old 02-04-2011, 04:38 PM   #65
ClearwaterBMW
The Examiner

Oddometer: 5,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritchard View Post
The Diavel looks like it was designed by the same people who brought us 1980s Subarus. Yech
i just want something different to ADD to what i already own
the diavel speaks to me (not to everyone, of course)
but....
with an estimated 183 hp at the crank with the full termignoni exhaust.....
she'll be a BLAST to ride

folks are already seeing 8.7 seconds in the 1/4 mile on a stock bike, with NOTHING changed whatsoever

yeah...
the exact opposite of my beloved GS Adventure
do i need the diavel?
HELL NO !!!

am i crazy?
that's already been established
so....
we'll see
Live life like you mean it... but take your family and friends (and DOGS) along for the "ride"
ClearwaterBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 04:49 PM   #66
Scottly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearwaterBMW View Post
folks are already seeing 8.7 seconds in the 1/4 mile on a stock bike, with NOTHING changed whatsoever
I'd be curious at how many runs/type of rider made that pass.

I see this thing as either breaking the tire loose or doing wheelies (more likely). I don't see an 8sec bike here.

Not doubting your word, just wondering how.
Scottly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 04:56 PM   #67
ClearwaterBMW
The Examiner

Oddometer: 5,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottly View Post
I'd be curious at how many runs/type of rider made that pass.

I see this thing as either breaking the tire loose or doing wheelies (more likely). I don't see an 8sec bike here.

Not doubting your word, just wondering how.
the bike is stretched out, already
at more than 62"....
it's a V-MAX-type bike
so..... it isn't made for going around corners, sadly
not sure i WILL get it

i had an MV Agusta Brutale 910R in the past....
shorter wheelbase
i did like it
but.....
we'll see about this bike
high "COOL" factor, but i will always love a GS more... without a doubt in the world
Live life like you mean it... but take your family and friends (and DOGS) along for the "ride"
ClearwaterBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 05:02 PM   #68
kvr929rr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by amadeusroy View Post
From Hellforleather Mag:

OH NO! I was going to buy the 2011 GSA. But regardless, what are your thoughts on this? I know the engine has been oil/air cooled for the longest time.
I wouldn't buy anything until after the end of the world in 2012 when Euro anything won't matter. At that point everything will be less expensive.
kvr929rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 06:27 PM   #69
Scottly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearwaterBMW View Post
the bike is stretched out, already
at more than 62"....
it's a V-MAX-type bike
Ok..another look at the pic..I see it now.

I bet that think is a hoot to ride around town, if you can keep a tire on it.
Scottly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 07:07 PM   #70
sweetlu
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
what only five pages so far
sweetlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 07:17 PM   #71
DELTATANGO
Motorcyclist and Dog Walk

Oddometer: 13,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
You really have nothing of value to add, do you?

Jim

PS Just like PeterK
Sure I do.

You know there is some extra shit in the valve train.
DELTATANGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 08:53 PM   #72
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer: 1,436
photochop's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy View Post
Merged... again..

next we'll start getting the photochop's and artist's renderings...
tallguy-09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 11:11 PM   #73
Just_Sean
herewegoagain

Oddometer: 14,504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Krupa View Post
Some of you may be getting all excited about this, but I see this as analogous to what car companies do with successful cars. They have to "improve" them each year so they make them bigger and clutter them up with accessories that bastardize the concept.

Sorry, but a radiator is more complexity, something else to go wrong, something that adds to the difficulty (and expense) of service. Yes boxers get hot in traffic, but do I want to add all that crap?

So some of you may get excited about the radiators, but count me out. I like simple for this kind of bike.
The wording on the cover picture gives a clue for the reasoning behind water-cooling the engine.

Quote:
Impulsada por la aplicacion de la futura normativa antipolucion Euro 4
Euro 4 is one level of the different emissions standards for the EU

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europea...sion_standards

Like the HD V-rod ...

Water cooling allows the engine to run in a narrower temperature range, allowing for reduced emissions. The reduction of temperatures at the upper end of the range will theoretically lengthen engine life as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.wordiq.com/definition/Engine_cooling
Liquid-cooling makes it easier to maintain each part of the engine at a given temperature in normal operation. Air-cooled engines can have the hot-spot problems described above, and getting enough air to the hot spots may cause other parts of the engine to run too cold. Liquids have less temperature rise as they absorb waste heat.
Thus, the coolant temperature varies less with engine load. In turn, more even temperature of liquid-cooling means better component tolerances can be maintained, which can improve both durability and emissions. It may be possible to achieve good temperature control with an air-cooled engine, but at the expense of more complicated thermal management and increased weight.
Similarly, peak power from a given displacement of air-cooled engine is typically limited compared to water-cooled counterparts, so liquid-cooled engines may be heavier but also fit in a smaller space.

In other words, get used to it. As emissions standard get tighter and tighter, you will see less and less air/oil cooled engines. They're making liquid cooled lawnmowers now.
Just_Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 12:13 AM   #74
Hay Ewe
Just a Wannabe

Oddometer: 2,412
Maybe BMW have to do this to meet emisions
yes, a water cooled will produce more power for its physical size

is it needed? I dont think so, I love my 1150 - no ABS - its Australian basic model, more than enough power for me

I often thought that the 1200 was the step too far, liek the Germans got in to a dick swinging competition, who can build the biggest 'adventure' bike

honestly I would like to see them go back to 1000cc (or there abouts) and also an 800 version but both of them be BOXER and basic as well, whilst the Canbus seems to have been proved, I don't want the electric suspension or other stuff to go wrong - soon they will be putting a radio in it!

I would have got an 1100 if one was available, but my 1150 came first, its been great for getting long, two up, camping kit for three weeks, and not hanging around either - once we did about 200km at 150km/hr in total comfort.

Sorry, whilst I am intrigued by the mechanics of it all, it doesn't appeal to me, I suppose I am not the demographic that they are aiming at

Hay Ewe
He'd swear a lot, dance on the log cards, piss in Johnny's beer and head off to the nearest bar 🍷
Hay Ewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 02:31 AM   #75
Treadless
used 2 b aventuring

Oddometer: 5,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by moist View Post
Interesting, maybe it will be a good bike, I'll wait for a few years to work out the bugs.

That seems like prudent thing to do with BMW's track record.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avocet View Post
The BMW "K" bikes have the shaft drive on the left. Perhaps they moved the shaft to the left on the new GS so they could use common parts or at least a common design.
That was my first thought upon seeing the new rendition. That and the ability to handle more ponies. I wonder if they will apply that common sense to other areas of the bike.

Treadless is offline   Reply With Quote