Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by RumRunner View Post
So true...

A must see movie for any player...

from `It Might Get Loud`

DW
I desire to make a parody of this clip.. what instrument should I use?

crazydrummerdude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:07 PM   #152
mrmurph
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 356

Murph
Motorcycles, Cars, Guitars.....
mrmurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:59 PM   #153
assquatch20
Hoss Cat

Oddometer: 1,084
I've been playing about 7 years now but I started falling out of it the day a bandmate of mine reminded me about how I used to want a dual sport. I fell out of playing and stuff and got into this, but I'm starting to actually balance the two.

Here's one of my favorites, even though it's a bass.

It's a Kramer DMZ6000B (fretless, pretty rare) from somewhere between 79 and 81. I had bought a crappy mid 80's Kramer Striker for too much in a pawn shop a few months before and learned about the brand that way, so when I saw this thing pop up for 50 bucks I thought I would jump on it. Got it home and finally figured out what it was exactly. There's no markings other than a serial number. At the time Kramer thought the aluminum fork headstock was outlandish enough to identify them.

Anyhow I get a rough idea of what it is and check out the market and the thing was worth like 30x what I paid for it.

I've played it here and there, but the fretboard on these things was ebonol (think bowling balls) and wears out over time. Problem is the aluminum inlay dots don't wear out so eventually they'll start rubbing and then pop out. It's got some old creme colored Dimarzio active pickups in it and crazy toggles and switches that I haven't figured out after 5 years still. Burled walnut and curly maple body with an aluminum neck with the walnut inserts in it so it doesn't feel so cold and balances it a bit.

I've got/had plenty more instruments but this one is really my favorite. After I bought it I attended the Kramer expo in Nashville and Gary Kramer signed it for me. Problem is I couldn't resist playing it and he signed right where my forearm goes, so it's pretty well gone now. I'll get him to resign it someday. But he'd put this pretty sweet sterling lapel pin in a raffle for the expo to match the gold one he had for himself. The pin looked like the aluminum headstock and I ended up winning it. I was like 15 and just blown away.

Anyhow I'd love to have the six string version of this guitar; they ended up putting them in guitar hero at some point as a playable deal.

Man, tl;dr.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:34 PM   #154
jdgretz
Looking for new places

Oddometer: 875
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post
Digging up an old thread...

First off let me know if I am crazy or not. I have only been playing for about a year, unless I am having shoulder problems I play every night, sometimes for only 10min some times for 2hrs...just depends, but usually around 1hr or so. I own a Gretsch 5120 and a Epiphone Les Paul, both get about equal play time depending on my mood.

Anyway I am looking at a new guitar....a Rickenbacker, I don't have one in my sights yet, but I am looking every day. I would like a 6 string (12 strings intimidate me for some reason) 300 series.

Before this I had stuck with guitars around the $500 or so mark a Rickenbacker is going to be way outside that. The reason for the entry price guitars was I was not sure I would stick with it....sometimes the meds I am on make me want to chuck everything and I loose intrest in everything, but it is usually short lived and in a week or two I am back to my old self.

Is that stupid to get something at this stage of my playing? I have not even touched one yet...and may hate it, I did not like the Gibson LP I tried out, the cheapie epiphone felt better to me.

The reasons for wanting the Rick is the tone it makes, I am still learning about the different pickups, toasters and such, but I want that classic 60's british tone.

Anyone have any advise to this newbe guitar player.
You're not crazy to want a better guitar and Rickis are nice. My wife has a 360/12 that is a joy to play (that comes out whenever I feel a Byrd moment coming on ), so don't count the 12-string short. The Rickenbackers definitely have a distinctive sound, and if that's what you want to hear then by all means, find one you like and get it.

My first electric guitar was a new '62 Gretsch 6119 Tennessean (now called the Tennessee Rose) that I wish I had never sold. I still have my '63 Gibson Hummingbird. It just gets better as it gets older. A Gretsch 6120 is on my list along with a Fender American Nashville with B-Bender.

I recently started playing steel guitar again - man, try picking that back up after a 30-year lay off At least I have a very nice MSA to relearn on.

In a way, guitars are a lot like motorcycles - they all do basically the same thing, but some just speak to you or do a certain thing better than another. A good rider can make an OK bike run rings around a poor rider on an expensive machine. Same thing with guitars. I've seen guys who I swear could make a 2x4 with piano wire sound better than a custom Gibson.

Oh, and for the person who has problems with his left hand - think Django Reinhardt - his left hand was severely burned in a fire and he only really uses two fingers

jdg
'76 Honda CJ360T
jdgretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 06:25 PM   #155
Madurbu
Taxpayer

Oddometer: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniii View Post
I've found that a thumb pick and a single finger pick gives the best combination of style and speed playing Hot Tuna-esque acoustic blues. I find less is more when finger picking. And it's harder on the Les Paul than the Guild (with or without the capo).

I've always appreciated Jorma's acoustic work. I've been thinking about a vacation this year at http://www.furpeaceranch.com/
Old 02-04-2011, 11:20 AM   #156
NovaTrophy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydrummerdude View Post
I desire to make a parody of this clip.. what instrument should I use?
Why, the bagpipes of course!!
Old 02-04-2011, 01:40 PM   #157
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaTrophy View Post
Why, the bagpipes of course!!
Uh oh. So, a latex glove and some kazoos?

Old 02-04-2011, 04:45 PM   #158
RedRocker
Native Texican

Oddometer: 5,218
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Kurt View Post
I have a 1969 Fender Princeton Reverb. That little hum from the tubes is sweet. Do this: Put on Stevie Ray Vaughn's "The Sky is Crying" and listen to "Little Wing" with headphones. You can hear that hum and it sounds like it was written into the music!
I've got one of those too, and a 66 flip top ampeg bass amp.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
RedRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 05:36 AM   #159
Laura0107
Retrophilic Rambler

Oddometer: 1,117
Oops, I see the OP has made a little visit to Banned Camp, but I was just going to say "stick to it" w/respect to teaching yourself to play using the internet. I come from a long line of piano players and for years tried to get my son interested in music while he was growing up, without success. Three years ago, at age 18, he bought a guitar on his own and taught himself to play, using the internet. I think he has done really well. Here he is in the white t-shirt on the right at a gig last weekend. If you don't want to listen to the whole thing, his part heats up pretty good from around 2:30 on.

I had not heard him playing Steamroller Blues around the house, and asked him about it. He said the band played it at practice a couple of days before this gig, and he asked them "what key" and jumped in. I said, "You never watched Elvis' band do it on YouTube?" He said, "No, I never heard it before." I could just be a proud Mama, but I think he might have a little bit of talent!

Old 02-06-2011, 06:50 AM   #160
Paul_B
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 319
Good timely thread for me.

I start lessons next week, haven't really played since I was 17 yrs. old (almost 30 years ago). Pulled out my ancient, no-name acoustic and the action was about 1/2" high, and the neck is seperating from the body. I was planning on using that for the lessons, but that's out now so it was a good excuse to pick up this. It plays and sounds like a dream, so much better than the $25 electric I had in high school. It's an Epiphone LP Standard, the prices on the Gibsons are just rediculous.

I'll probably try to remove and reset the neck on the old acoustic, more for sentimental reasons than anything.

It feels good to play again, even though my finger don't remember the stuff from 1983. It'll come back though.
Paul_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:11 AM   #161
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,825
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_B View Post
... It's an Epiphone LP Standard, the prices on the Gibsons are just rediculous.

I found the same thing about Gibsons. I wanted a Les Paul and had an el cheapo gibson (only $1700) in my hand and was sitting at the register messing with it and to my side was the Epi. I picked it up and messed with it for 5min....the difference was so slight...if any I could not justify the extra $1100 the Gibson was.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 03:59 PM   #162
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 4,699
Been looking at guitars again. I've been thinking about maybe getting a Les Paul Standard to go with my Gibson Les Paul Jr BJA. Although one of the big complaints I've been hearing is with the channeling Gibson does on all the Standards now. Not to mention still asking $2800 for one.

I also looked at the Epiphones. I noticed they have a 50th Anniversary that's supposed to be more like the '58-'60 Gibson. Solid body and the old Burstbucker pickups and the fat 50's neck. Seems like a better deal then to buy the Gibson Studio with the satin finish and the 490R and 498T Alnico 2's. Gibson also has the Studio 60's Tribute which has P90's and a plain top for $50 less then the Epi.

I was looking at the Epiphone Standard Plus but the 50th looks more like what I'm after, otherwise, I'd save some and just get the Standard Plus.

Think I should go for it?
Old 02-12-2011, 04:09 PM   #163
Dabears
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 780
Wicked

I've got the satin finish Les Paul studio, and to me it's a really good value. If you try the Epi and feel it's a better deal, go for it, just realize that in the world of guitars Epiphone are never going to have the cache of a US made Les Paul.

I've got a lovely '62 reissue strat in Lake Placid Blue that is going on 25 years old that I love to look at, but the action and the overall feel of my G&L Legacy makes it my go to electric. My Alvarez Yairi and MF90 are my unplugged toys. Now I just have to get back to playing them again. Too many hobbies!!

2006 R1200GS
1980 Vespa P200E
Dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 04:29 PM   #164
frazman
Post***ern Redneck.

Oddometer: 1,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabears View Post
I've got the satin finish Les Paul studio, and to me it's a really good value. If you try the Epi and feel it's a better deal, go for it, just realize that in the world of guitars Epiphone are never going to have the cache of a US made Les Paul.
!
+1 on that. Up until recently I owned a '93 Gibson LP Studio (not Epi) that I paid $750 a few years ago. Nice player. I downsized my family of guitars and have centered on a Fender Custom Shop '64 Jazz Bass Relic, a Fender Roadworn '60s Telecaster and a Taylor 210E acoustic. Also have a Fender Deluxe Reverb reissue and two 1964 Gibson Falcon GA-19 RVTs for amps. Bass amp right now is a Line6 LowDown 150 but have owned G-K, Eden and SWR amps in the past.

Been playing rock, blues and a bit of country-rock-blues for the last 31 years. Been in bands for about half of that.

frazman screwed with this post 02-12-2011 at 04:34 PM
frazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 04:29 PM   #165
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumRunner View Post
So true...

A must see movie for any player...

from `It Might Get Loud'
Just saw this, by the way. I enjoyed it. Something seemed out of place, though: Jimmy Page, The Edge, and.... Jack White. I know they were trying to span the spectrum of styles, but.. Jack White? He is a better guitarist than I realized, but seems like they could have picked someone "bigger."

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: