Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2011, 02:15 PM   #16
ganze
apocalyptic defender

Oddometer: 448
It's funny, I get a jones for another bike and I start researching. I love the 919, will love the cb1000r, speed triple, ducati ms1200 and several other bikes. Usually I get the jones when I am not riding much due to weather, injury or whatever. Then I get back on the sv and realize why I bought it in the first place. All those are great bikes but the svks is just about the perfect combination for me at this stage of my life. The only thing I wish it did better was ride on gravel or dirt a little better... like a ms1200.

When I have to replace it, I will be looking for something with a soul, something fast, versatile, comfortable and reliable. In a word, something a whole lot like what I have now.

I have buell pegs on it, which makes a big difference in comfort and would like to do a new seat and riser conversion, which would make it uber-comfortable. In so doing, I will switch brake and clutch lines to stainless and get better brake pads. Maybe by summer I will get around to those mods. I also need to have my rear shock rebuilt, but have a zx10 shock to use while I have the zx6 showa unit redone.

People who have ridden a well sorted svk generally love it. And I get great attention for it most (non-harley) places I go b/c it's respected as a nice, adult oriented sportbike that sounds amazing.
Old 02-06-2011, 03:07 PM   #17
wingnut11
generally strange

Oddometer: 669
I don't have one, but

I own it's sisters. The TL1000R and the v-strom 1000. I think that the sv series are good solid bikes. Of course I think highly of the 996 twin motor these bikes come with. I find the engine to be quite reliable with a nice amount of torque right where you want it.
I had considered getting one when I was looking for the TLR. But less than a week after I decided I wanted a TLR a co workers friend put it up for sale. Less than a week after that it was mine. I admit it was a little impulsive but I don't ever regret buying it. But I think if I had bought an sv instead I'd be just as happy riding it as I am with the TLR, being similar flavors.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:33 PM   #18
Dalmatino OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
This is my third one....all they need is a decent shock in the back and have the front forks revalved and resprung and they will handle as good as anything else out there on the street.

I went with the 06 Gixxer 1k front forks because they are from the wheel up 6lbs lighter than SVs, which were bent from the crash.

With the open air box, BMC filter, full M4 and dyno tuning she's healthy 121 @ the wheel and 78 ft lbs of torque. Torque curve is as flat as Saskatchewan.
Out of 2nd 3rd and 4th gear corners on the back roads thers nothing that will walk away from me and I've been up against Ducs and # of other 1liter bikes...Yes the riders were same level abilities...@ the fast flowing track, is another story...

Here's Pics of the other 2 which ware identical 03s...current 06 with the exact same work done as on the 03, is defenately a faster bike do to changes made in 05 to the motor.
Attached Images

Dalmatino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 09:37 PM   #19
Dalmatino OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The other 03
Attached Images

Old 02-06-2011, 09:39 PM   #20
Dalmatino OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oh yea I forgot about my 362lb (wet with half a tenk of fuel) 80hp @ the wheel SV650
Attached Images

Old 02-07-2011, 04:08 AM   #21
arshishb
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 852
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalmatino View Post
Thnx...need get around to painting that front wheel black before spring.
Heres one more...
I seriously think you should paint the rear wheel blue instead. Will look really cool.

I had an 03 that I put 10K miles on in 5 months. I really kick myself for selling it. One of the most undervalued machines out there but can outperform many expensive bikes out there that have "soul".
arshishb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 05:16 AM   #22
rauchman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 196
I've got an '07 black, that I bought used in '08. I'm running Convertibars, Buell Pegs, Givi screen and Sargeant seat. Bike has all the power I need and handles pretty decently using stock suspension that has been fiddled with. Would love to get a better shock and GSX forks.

I've toured from NJ, out to OH, W VA, VA, PA and back. Also done a New England tour. I use Nelson Rigg bags and a tank bag, and I have a touring bike that I can have some fun in the mountain twisties with.

My wife rides a 2003 Kawi Z1000. While the comfort of my bike is much better than stock, I'd love to get the comfort factor of the Z1000.
rauchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 08:28 AM   #23
duckman
"sic gorgiamus allos

Oddometer: 882
i got my 03 sv1000n new in 08 and i spent two weeks exploring the green mts. of vermont last summer ,i added a small trunk by coocase ,it's color matched and has lights and i added lower buell footpegs. i also got a fiberglass hugger from e-bay and the paint is a real close match.
and no do rags
'we gladly feast on those who would subdue us'
duckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:04 AM   #24
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,206
TL1000S here - put 60k miles on it so far. Down for a refurbish at the moment.

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:06 AM   #25
Dalmatino OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by arshishb View Post
I seriously think you should paint the rear wheel blue instead. Will look really cool.

I had an 03 that I put 10K miles on in 5 months. I really kick myself for selling it. One of the most undervalued machines out there but can outperform many expensive bikes out there that have "soul".
Funny you say that...I was planing on buying 07 and up gsxr 600/750 wheel for the back because its couple of lbs lighter and had thaughts in finding a blue one to match but I realized that theres quit a bit of work to make one fit and I just dont have the place or time right now.

After this year I'm going to strip it down as much as posible and turn it into a bare bones caffe racer style...so back to clipons, solo race tail with a light aluminium subframe and the fearing of this Guzzi in the pic...If it works out I will copy it in CF and may make bunch of extra ones to cover all the expense.

I'm planing on a GS or R1200R for my distance comfy ride next year...
Attached Images

Old 02-07-2011, 11:26 AM   #26
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,548
I have an '03 SV1000N and love it. I have put about 10k on it and just did the first valve adjustment. Even that was easy thanks to the chain/gear drive cams. I have GSXR forks and brakes and a ZX shock. Comfy on the street and handles great on the track too.

SVN/XRR/Christini
PeteN95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:48 AM   #27
fly2low
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Can we, the lowly six fifty owners, contribute to this thread, too?
fly2low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 12:23 PM   #28
mmitchell57
Vulcan Halfbreed

Oddometer: 2,193
Here's mine. Commented on it from an earlier post. I have a more recent picture with GIVI's on it, but can't get to it from here.

Lots of nice hidden bits on it. The thing will stop as fast as it accelerates and everything in between.

1969 CB350 - Restoration Project
1962 Ford Fairlane 500 - Restoration / DD project
mmitchell57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 01:48 PM   #29
Mr.Goose
Velvet Steamroller

Oddometer: 1,229
the epic downfall of this thread is that it makes me want mine back.

then I realize my failure in letting it go.

GSXR forks and a rear ohlins would been just fine, but at the time I couldn't get my head around the cost of the parts vs buying a used superduke, but 3 years later I think it would matter less and there's some nice LiterSV's on craigslist right now....I gotta dig up more pics of my old SV1K now, I got some nice ones somewhere.
Mr.Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 02:56 PM   #30
Dalmatino OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly2low View Post
Can we, the lowly six fifty owners, contribute to this thread, too?
Sure, little brother