Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2011, 10:51 AM   #7321
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesusgatos View Post
How is the 650R engine any different than a DRZ engine? Obviously 250cc's...

But seriously, what makes you think this is such a high performance engine? I'd say all signs point to it being more similar to the older air-cooled XR engines than then newer CRF's (which is what I'd call a race engine).

Different opinions I guess. I don't think this is being productive to the XRR thread so I'd rather let it go.
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:11 AM   #7322
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,341
I wasn't trying to be argumentative. Honest question, and I think it's as relevant as anything else that's been discussed in this thread. There are many accounts of 650R's going 20,000+ miles without any major service/overhauls. Whether you call it a race engine or not, seems to have proven itself to be pretty darn reliable. No big deal if I have to live with it burning a little bit of oil, but would rather address it if it's anything I can fix.
jesusgatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:30 AM   #7323
Purcell69
Mors ex Tenebris

Oddometer: 3,672
Mine "uses" a littl oil too when I ride the highway, which is most of the time. As a result, I usually run a 15/44 gear combitation. Typically, I may need to add 8 oz. once I have exceded 500 miles after an oil change. I just am in the habit of checking the oil when I return home after each ride. It does not seem as bad at lower speeds, say 60 MPH and does not smoke, so the consumption is relatively slight. Even the full-blown race XRR's needed to add oil during the Baja 1000. It is in the nature of the beast. FWIW, I am the third owner of this bike and have added over 7,000 miles so far on the stock top end.

-Joe

-

Trust and Respect take years to earn, but can be lost in a moment.

Life's too short to hold a grudge. -Joe
Purcell69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:38 AM   #7324
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,341
Thanks for the reply. We're running almost exactly the same gearing, and I'd guess that's about how much oil it's consuming. No big deal, but doesn't that seem excessive? I mean, what is it about these engines that they gobble-up oil?
jesusgatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:54 AM   #7325
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibby! View Post
I would still like to argue the engine is still a race, or high performance engine. It was a robust design for robust racing, but it's not made to do miles. If it were you'd have an engine much like the XR, DR, DRZ, and KLR, etc. It's a robust high performance engine and through good engineering and robust design capable of doing higher milleage, but at the same time not designed for it.
By using that criteria, the XR600R was a race engine too? It was also a successful Baja racebike, and the 650R is essentially a liquid cooled version of a similar format (without RFVC).

Yet the GB500, NX650/Dominator, XR650L, etc all used the same basic engine. There were differences in tuning, but the basics were the same - and the GB500 WAS design as a streetgoing machine - and I'll be 80% of the XR650L's out there are used on pavement more than offroad.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 12:05 PM   #7326
Purcell69
Mors ex Tenebris

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. We're running almost exactly the same gearing, and I'd guess that's about how much oil it's consuming. No big deal, but doesn't that seem excessive? I mean, what is it about these engines that they gobble-up oil?
Since I have never seen smoke to indicate actual oil burning, I would guess it is more closely related to oil vapor being drawn from the crank case. Sure, compared to the XRL I had, it seems excessive, but then a whack of the throttle reminds me why I am not that overly concerned about the extra usage. That's saying a lot for me. I tend to be meticulous about such things, so it was a bit hard for me to "let go" over the whole issue. No smoke at the pipe and no gunk on the plug, guess I'll add a little more and call it good.

-Joe

Old 02-07-2011, 12:28 PM   #7327
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post
By using that criteria, the XR600R was a race engine too? It was also a successful Baja racebike, and the 650R is essentially a liquid cooled version of a similar format (without RFVC).

Yet the GB500, NX650/Dominator, XR650L, etc all used the same basic engine. There were differences in tuning, but the basics were the same - and the GB500 WAS design as a streetgoing machine - and I'll be 80% of the XR650L's out there are used on pavement more than offroad.

It can be called whatever we want it to be called. I guess I'm the only one who doesn't expect this engine to last forever without issues. I'm fine with that. I'm on the mindset that it wasn't designed to drone for 1000's of miles on end without problems, and so I don't expect it to.

I don't even know what's being talked about anymore.

I'd sooner read about interesting things or important stuff rather then ramblings about how durable a thumper can be and what kind of mileage to expect from it. It's been covered before. (search for XRR and mileage)

So with that said, I'll drop the subject so we can return back to our normal programing of quality XRR talk/reading.
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 01:18 PM   #7328
Ironwood
Friday Harbor, WA

Oddometer: 721
If it is burning oil why don't you try out some different brands of quality oil and see if that makes a difference?

Should see some stay in there better than others.

Joe
Ironwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 01:43 PM   #7329
Purcell69
Mors ex Tenebris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironwood View Post
If it is burning oil why don't you try out some different brands of quality oil and see if that makes a difference?

Should see some stay in there better than others.

Joe
That may well be the case, but I just don't see it as being that critical from my perspective. The sceduled maintenance calls for 600 mile oil changes. Since I am mostly riding on the street, I change my oil at 1,000 miles. I don't really start seeing a loss until I am into the last half of the 1,000, so topping it off once or twice before the next change isn't all that bad in my book.

-Joe

Old 02-07-2011, 02:09 PM   #7330
BHW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,080
I wouldn't call the XR650R engine a "race engine". It's nowhere near as maintenance intensive as a current 450cc race engine. It's a low compression, low RPM engine comparatively.
Old 02-07-2011, 03:40 PM   #7331
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,343
I change the oil frequently enough, that if it did go through a bit of oil - it gets topped off with a fresh new supply before it could become an issue.

Lots of pavement miles puts you in the realm of checking it like you would a street bike - less often. In the dirt my oil gets looked at virtually every time I take it out.... if I were commuting on it, that inspection would probably get lax and normal consumption would seem to be exaggerated.

For peace of mind, if I were riding that many pavement miles....I would just change the oil often, and the filter every other oil change. Then you could rest a bit easier.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 08:17 PM   #7332
Max Power
Secret Agent

Oddometer: 4,526
Quote:

But seriously, what makes you think this is such a high performance engine? I'd say all signs point to it being more similar to the older air-cooled XR engines than then newer CRF's (which is what I'd call a race engine).
Agreed.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:37 PM   #7333
Capt. Egregious
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 346
My experience with big singles is they all use oil when spun up. Big lung creates more crank case pressure at higher RPMs which makes the rings and valve seals job harder. The whole reason I got a XRR was because it was built to last with a relaxed maintenance schedule. No "racemotor" maintenance/rebuild schedule for me.
Capt. Egregious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:09 PM   #7334
RallyMoto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Before I ran a bunch of mud through the motor (not-so-fun story), I was commuting 100+ miles per day on pavement at 80mph. I was changing the oil roughly every 1,000 miles and checking it every fill-up. I had almost no oil consumption over the 1k miles between oil changes, as in I didn't ever need to add any. Here's the rebuild ready to go in: HRC Copy cam (XR's Only), Kibblewhite valves with 3-angle grind, new stock piston and rings, newly re-nikasil'd cylinder and a brand new TM-40 . Can't wait to see how she runs. Also doing all the bearings. Hopefully get it all back together this weekend.

RallyMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 05:03 AM   #7335
KASUYAHO
Road Hog

Oddometer: 3,540
Quote:

Why do you think the BRP engine is not a race engine?

Why do you think the CRF are a race engine?
KASUYAHO is offline   Reply With Quote