User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2011, 07:33 PM   #121
jbrownmxr
Gas Passer

Oddometer: 340
Tattoos

I loved it. Until I noticed one of the dudes has a tramp stamp. Just sayin.....

JB
jbrownmxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 08:33 PM   #122
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
I just like a little substance with my style statements, and raising your forks 2" on anything is a pretty dumb idea. On an overweight, underpowered Hinkley Bonnie it's absolutely retarded.

But they're having fun and looking "cool".

Taking it a bit farther, I think these guys just take themselves WAY too seriously. Talking about hitting the road and searching for meaning, rediscovering what it was to live on the road, (insert rest of cliches here). How long were they even on the road? A week? Maybe two? From the little I was able to read on their website it looks like they just rode around California. Anyone who describes THEMSELF as an "artist / bluecollared intellectual" is probably more of a rich kid with a trust fund and almost certainly a pretentious, self-aggrandizing prick. The whole thing just seems a little too hollow to me. Too much tooting-their-own-horn, too little real substance.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.

Airhead Wrangler screwed with this post 02-07-2011 at 08:44 PM
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 08:47 PM   #123
blaine.hale OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,900
I'm not sure you guys grasp the whole age of technology where in it's easier to share what one person is doing and being more connected with everyone around them (the internet.) So it's a common, modern thought to want to show and share what you are doing. Ya'll didn't have this prior to the 90s nor did you have the mindset to even think about wanting express that...all you knew was ride. So think of it as a modern thought, a completely different mindset than what the older gentleman here might have.
1969 Bultaco Bandido MK2
2013 Husqvarna Terra TR650
blaine.hale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 08:51 PM   #124
mykill
odd

Oddometer: 1,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownmxr View Post
I loved it. Until I noticed one of the dudes has a tramp stamp. Just sayin.....
On guys, I believe it is "The ink above the stink"
Old 02-07-2011, 09:03 PM   #125
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine.hale View Post
I'm not sure you guys grasp the whole age of technology where in it's easier to share what one person is doing and being more connected with everyone around them (the internet.) So it's a common, modern thought to want to show and share what you are doing. Ya'll didn't have this prior to the 90s nor did you have the mindset to even think about wanting express that...
I know I hang around in Old Skool, but don't assume that I'm old. I'm 29. All of the "look at me! look at me! aren't I cool?" is just kinda sad. If their stated aim were true, they woudn't be clammering for so much attention and publicity. They probably spent more time taking photos and videos of themselves than they did riding.

In this age of rampant "sharing" and "self expression" many of the young are failing to consider the fact that maybe nobody gives a shit about their facebook status or the photos they just posted. It seems that they're incapable of just enjoying something purely for what it is.
It seems that they have to be able to "blog about it", take a video of it or share a photo of themself doing it on facebook in order to get any satisfaction out of it. It's going to result in a crippled generation of approval-seekers unable to find happiness from within themselves - their sense of self worth based entirely on how many of their "friends" comment on their most recent post. All of this has replaced real face to face contact with the people around us. If you think that sitting in a room by yourself staring at a piece of plastic in front of your face for hours on end is actually "being more connected with everyone around you" then maybe it's time for a quick reality check.

[/diatribe]

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.

Airhead Wrangler screwed with this post 02-07-2011 at 09:23 PM
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:05 PM   #126
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,542
Quote:
I'm not sure you guys grasp the whole age of technology where in it's easier to share what one person is doing and being more connected with everyone around them (the internet.) So it's a common, modern thought to want to show and share what you are doing. Ya'll didn't have this prior to the 90s nor did you have the mindset to even think about wanting express that...all you knew was ride. So think of it as a modern thought, a completely different mindset than what the older gentleman here might have.
That's a huge topic right there, Blaine.

I think you and Airhead Wrangler are both onto something.

Maybe a discussion worthy of it's own thread? Or maybe this thread could support the discussion without derailing it?

There's certainly a lot of thought/opinion/emotion being stirred by the trend.

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 04:34 AM   #127
Bloodweiser
honestly

Oddometer: 2,576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler View Post
In this age of rampant "sharing" and "self expression" many of the young are failing to consider the fact that maybe nobody gives a shit about their facebook status or the photos they just posted. It seems that they're incapable of just enjoying something purely for what it is.
[/diatribe]

Bloodweiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:19 AM   #128
MaraBiker
Vozi Miško!

Oddometer: 97
I say sharing is good.

ps. Lornce, thanks for the kind words.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:32 AM   #129
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,865
Ok....

Not that anybody gives a shit about my opinion, but I'd like to share it anyway. I've been riding since I was 12. No one in my family rides, or really ever had except my dad for about 2 years. My dad had a Cb back in the late 60's and rode it for the cool factor...and it petered out. He kept his leathers, but never let me go near them. He now own's a cherry '63 vette that he never drives. My dad, and I love him, is very image conscious.

I don't know where my riding obsession came from. It wasn't an outside influence, I was born with it. Anyway, I wasn't able to own my own bike until I left the nest. So when I was 18, I bought a bike. Never thought much about my helmet color choice, or my jacket. Just rode the crap out of it and never rode with anyone else...until I moved to Atlanta. Started hanging with the British in the city crew and began to care about my image. Bought the stupid cork and rope Davida, and wore black t-shirts and chucks. I was 23. Saturday was the big ride day, meet at the shop and go to a bar and drink. Leave the bar riding like total assholes and blaze a trail home going 90mph. One day on Dekalb Ave, I was mid pack going 60. I slowed down, pulled over, and stopped and looked around. I was alone. I went home and never rode with those guys again, and shortly thereafter a very good friend lost his life riding drunk. "Fuck this".
g
So, I revaluated my riding career and went another direction. I took an MSF class and looked at the over 60yr old instructor. Found out there werent a lot of under 40 rider coaches in Georgia. So I became one to hopefully find the knuckle heads like me and get them to relate.

Anyway, image is something we all think about, but sometimes it will weed out the real riders from the posers. If you love to ride, I believe you eventually succumb to the fact that your half helmet, chucks, and "the black keys" t-shirt aint gonna keep you from shedding your skin. And who gives a fuck what you look like!! I promptly bout a used stich and arai FF helmet. I can out ride the shit out of every one of those guys on their trendy brit bikes on my ugly german lass.

I guess what I'm getting at is at some point in all of our riding lives, we gave a shit what we looked like and dressed the part. I mean I love a worn, brown leather jacket but it just isn't practical as riding gear for me anymore. Those guys went out to film a video. Their bikes were cool looking and so were they, they did a great job of giving you that feeling that fleeting feeling we all want to bottle up and sell. I love my chucks, and I miss my davida 'cause I could smoke without taking it off. But I'm smarter now and ride a hell of a lot more and need gear that will take care of me.

So, it is a cool video and gave me a feeling of being young and invincible. But, I'm 38, and I am liking the feeling I get when I'm alone. In the middle of nowhere, 35 degrees out, and I can see my breath when I exhale. No cell signal, and no one to talk to. I like it...

P1040914

28120_407229558683_803533683_4275274_161507_n
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 11:44 AM   #130
blaine.hale OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,900
I'd say your problem was the british in the city guys
1969 Bultaco Bandido MK2
2013 Husqvarna Terra TR650
blaine.hale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 12:05 PM   #131
Beater
Theory Is Not Enough

Oddometer: 2,959
Quote:
I'd say your problem was the british in the city guys
I agree. Eric was very good about helping me through the early mechanical learning curves associated with bikes ... always talked a bit-o-smack about my BMW, but what do you expect from a British bike nerd?

I can't hang with them anymore though. That groups brand of right-wing- intolerance is nausiating.
Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 12:17 PM   #132
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,865
I totally agree...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beater View Post
I agree. Eric was very good about helping me through the early mechanical learning curves associated with bikes ... always talked a bit-o-smack about my BMW, but what do you expect from a British bike nerd?

I can't hang with them anymore though. That groups brand of right-wing- intolerance is nausiating.
...but I was trying to convey a "group" and that's the only one I've ever run with. Fred, Christan saw him the other day as he lives just down the street from us. He totally cut across all of Moreland and then cut her off to take a left on Memorial. She said she came pretty close to hitting him and in a f'ed up way, she wishes she had just to teach him a lesson.
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 02:50 PM   #133
England-Kev
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,385
Quote:
As one of the older gents i resemble that remark

great video, great song, damn I love motorcycles
England-Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 11:18 AM   #134
England-Kev
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,385
Can anybody ID the bikes though?
England-Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 12:41 PM   #135
eric123
Gott Mit Uns

Oddometer: 1,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by England-Kev View Post
Can anybody ID the bikes though?

Looks like SR500's or 400's and a BMW. Not sure what flavor BMW as they all look the same to me...
eric123 is offline   Reply With Quote