Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-04-2011, 06:08 PM   #121
changingground
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olas View Post
No mural...The tail gate looks just like the side of the truck.
If you ever think about selling it, p.m. me- My son is 10, and that's the vehicle I want for his first.

I had an '83 w/the 22r. The timing chain was so loose when I had it replaced it had peened grooves into the top of the cover. I sold it with the seat falling out through the pan due to rust (living in Michigan and NY at the time) with 178k on it. It had cost me, gas included, $0.12/mile to own and run. Great truck.
changingground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 09:48 AM   #122
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
Grreatdog, I had a '95 Ford Ranger 4cyl 5spd long box and it was a great truck. Totally bomb-proof after 278k kms with strong brakes and a decent ride for a small truck.

Not sure, but it may have used the same tranny as your 4.0. I know it's the same tranny on the V-6 F150's from the late '90's. ie: The 4 cyl Ranger was over-engineered.

I'd buy another without hesitation.

Probably right about the transmission. It wouldn't shift worth a damn when I drove it like the Toyota. It definitely doesn't shift like a car. Once I started shifting it like the work and fire trucks I used to drive in the 80's it does fine. Gotta teach Grreatwife how to double clutch though.
Old 02-08-2011, 03:14 PM   #123
taosgsr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 418
Ive had good luck with my toys

From web

This is a 2005 tacoma long bed, my camping rig and mc trailer. Prior to this I had a 1997 T100 4x4 that never that never gave me any trouble. My first truck was a 1982 4x4 long bed i had to replace the transmission in once but after that no problems. After the 82 i bought a 94 Nissan 4x4 that was nothing but trouble...sold it to get the T100. I hope the 2005 will hold up as well, but so far i haven't had any issues.

(need a little smilie face dude knocking on wood here)
Old 02-08-2011, 04:37 PM   #124
azcycle
Chihuahua Wrangler

Oddometer: 707
I miss my Toy. I bought a used 1988 4x4 and just loved it. Went to install a burned out bulb in the dashboard one day and noticed the back of the gauge cluster was rusty. More inspection... bench seat springs were rusty... pulled up the rubber floor lining and found a ton of lake/pond silt. Ran like a top and rust was only surface in places so I didn't worry about it.

Couple months later went to replace a burned out bulb in the tail-light and found a small dead fish in the light housing. Seriously, a dead fish. How long had that Toy been sunk for a fish to find it's way into the tail-light?

Sold it not long after to buy a 1988 Honda Prelude Si, which was fun in it's own right. But I don't miss the Prelude... just miss that Toy.
Old 02-08-2011, 05:14 PM   #125
sloth!
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by taosgsr View Post
From web

This is a 2005 tacoma long bed, my camping rig and mc trailer. Prior to this I had a 1997 T100 4x4 that never that never gave me any trouble. My first truck was a 1982 4x4 long bed i had to replace the transmission in once but after that no problems. After the 82 i bought a 94 Nissan 4x4 that was nothing but trouble...sold it to get the T100. I hope the 2005 will hold up as well, but so far i haven't had any issues.

(need a little smilie face dude knocking on wood here)
wow that is a load for that 4.0, even with it being a pop up camper. I have drive a few v6 DCs and they were dogs pulling any kind of hill or load, especially with oversized tires and stock gears.

Did you have any issues with the rear frame rails supporting that weight, i assume you have bags? I have had to beef the area from the front of leaf spring mount to the rear bumper on a few of the 05+ tacos or they start to bend/sag. Have you had upper bj issues yet since you are lifted or are you running aftermarket upper control arms?

In 05 when my buddy got one i remember loading his wr250 in the bed and bending the tailgate, he was pissed and when he got a replacement gate we took it apart and added some steel to make it a little stronger. I guess in some of the later models they fixed that issue.
sloth! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 11:19 AM   #126
Silver King
Maita'i roa ae!

Oddometer: 1,801
Quote:
Originally Posted by sloth! View Post
wow that is a load for that 4.0, even with it being a pop up camper. I have drive a few v6 DCs and they were dogs pulling any kind of hill or load, especially with oversized tires and stock gears.

Did you have any issues with the rear frame rails supporting that weight, i assume you have bags? I have had to beef the area from the front of leaf spring mount to the rear bumper on a few of the 05+ tacos or they start to bend/sag. Have you had upper bj issues yet since you are lifted or are you running aftermarket upper control arms?

In 05 when my buddy got one i remember loading his wr250 in the bed and bending the tailgate, he was pissed and when he got a replacement gate we took it apart and added some steel to make it a little stronger. I guess in some of the later models they fixed that issue.
Wondering about suspension, too?
Silver King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 03:42 PM   #127
JNRobert
Breaking Wind

Oddometer: 9,659
What's your preference

Tacoma Access Cab with the four banger. Manual or Automatic?
Old 02-09-2011, 06:47 PM   #128
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,821
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNRobert View Post
There is no choice. But I'm pretty shifty.

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 09:57 PM   #129
WU7X
The Old Fart

Oddometer: 1,953
Toys are tops!

I bought a 4X4 Taco SR5 Xcab, 3.4L V6 5 speed, brand new back in 2000. Built it up for light expedition work. It ran like a champ with no issues for 104 K miles. I sold it last fall after I realized that once I took up bikes, I wasn't using it much anymore. Only around 2,000 miles per year.

Got enough from the sale to buy a 2004 R1150RT in perfect condition and a '85 Toyota PU with a 22R, manual tranny and only 206 K miles. The box is a bit rusty and the driver's seat needs to be rebuilt. but other than that it is perfect for the haul jobs and general around town trips I now take. It even gets better mileage than the Taco! Best of all, complete insurance package is only $18/month. Life is good.
"
Adventure is worthwhile." ~ Aristotle
Airhead #14449
WU7X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 09:23 AM   #130
taosgsr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 418
Originally Posted by sloth!
"wow that is a load for that 4.0, even with it being a pop up camper. I have drive a few v6 DCs and they were dogs pulling any kind of hill or load, especially with oversized tires and stock gears."

"Did you have any issues with the rear frame rails supporting that weight, i assume you have bags? I have had to beef the area from the front of leaf spring mount to the rear bumper on a few of the 05+ tacos or they start to bend/sag. Have you had upper bj issues yet since you are lifted or are you running aftermarket upper control arms? "

Wondering about suspension, too?
From web

The Suspension is a 2 inch lift with Air ride bags in the back. No problems with the Joints as of yet. I will now start to watch the rear frame. The control arms are stock. I ditched the 17 inch wheels and went with 16s. I do get a little rubbing in the front wheel well. As far as pulling it seems to do just fine I've been over red mountain pass with that load more times then I can count, its not a powerstroke but its not hard to keep up with traffic (not like thats hard- most tourists wont go more that 20mph on the pass).
I also bent my tailgate loading my 450, it is crap. The truck is even heavier then what is pictured now...I hit a deer last year so now I have a full ARB bumper with grille and headlight bars.

taosgsr screwed with this post 02-10-2011 at 09:37 AM
taosgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 10:02 AM   #131
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer: 13,673
Thumb reco?

hey since all you guys are Toy enthusiasts: please reco to me a GOOD reliable online parts dealer - real parts. i need a pedal sensor
Zapp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 11:56 AM   #132
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,243
I had a 'yota years ago. Fairly fun and great feel, but uncomfortable, slow, flimsy and rust-prone. My current F250 is way more comfy, uses no more fuel and is about a billion times more sturdy. Isn't quite as fun to toss around though. I think if 'yota would use a bit higher quality steel and come up with an even half-way decent motor they'd really have something. I don't need a full size truck, but there aren't any compact or mid-size trucks that have caught my eye. Note, I haven't driven the 4.0L version yet either.

I'd love a baby-raptor with a 5.0 or ecoboost v6 evious

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 12:57 PM   #133
woods wizard
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 740
Heres my 2007 Tundra, love it.
woods wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 12:59 PM   #134
woods wizard
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 740
This is my 1992 4Runner,still a beast. Great 4 snow
woods wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 01:04 PM   #135
threadkiller
Semi-feral Pappy

Oddometer: 1,780
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNRobert View Post
I have an '02 access cab with the 4 banger. Mine is a manual tranny because the 4wd shifter on the automatic is right next to my knee and that would be in the way. The manual tranny 4wd shifter is on the passenger side. I can tell no difference in power between the two trannies, though. And I don't know how the new trucks are layed out.
threadkiller is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: