Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2011, 06:36 PM   #181
Boondox
Travels With Barley

Oddometer: 2,881
After researching for hours trying to find a reliable source for the 165/80R15, I broadened the search a bit and discovered that BFG makes their Radial T/A in a 155/80R15. Their distribution network covers the US, making it easier to find a replacement on the road. That's the path I'll be taking.

Claude -- the check is made out and will be posted in the morning. Thanks for working with me on this!

Pete
Boondox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:33 AM   #182
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer: 2,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondox View Post
After researching for hours trying to find a reliable source for the 165/80R15, I broadened the search a bit and discovered that BFG makes their Radial T/A in a 155/80R15. Their distribution network covers the US, making it easier to find a replacement on the road. That's the path I'll be taking.

Claude -- the check is made out and will be posted in the morning. Thanks for working with me on this!

Pete
Hi Pete...

Good info! I am sure this has been addressed before but cannot find it here on ADV. The 155/15 is narrower then the 165/15...does this have adverse effects on the ride/performance? Isn't the tire a bit smaller in circumference? Sorry, I am a noob about the car tire. I know you're busy, Claude, but can you chime in?

Cheers
Abenteuerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 11:31 AM   #183
claude
Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer: 3,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abenteuerfahrer View Post
Hi Pete...

Good info! I am sure this has been addressed before but cannot find it here on ADV. The 155/15 is narrower then the 165/15...does this have adverse effects on the ride/performance? Isn't the tire a bit smaller in circumference? Sorry, I am a noob about the car tire. I know you're busy, Claude, but can you chime in?

Cheers
Elmer,
The 155 is slightly smaller in rolling diameter. This is not a bad thing at all.The 165 which is by far more popular is alittle lareger than what is normally the stock bike tire diameter. WE ARE SPLITTING HAIRS HERE AS THE FIGURES ARE QUITE CLOSE. Also there can be some variance between manufaturers no matter what size is stamped on the sidewall.
Gary Haynes (fornerly hack'd magazine and sidecar magic shoppe) who you met in W.Va. last year opted to mount a 155 on our wheel conversion for his BMW GT. He has been coast to coast twice now with no issues.
The 155 will typically cost more than the 165.Tire wear is about the same. Only real difference on a day to day basis is cost.

Founder: Internet Sidecar Owners Klub at SCT
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/SCT/

President: C Stanley Motorsports Inc.
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...rsandTrailers/

http://freedomsidecars.com/
claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 01:14 PM   #184
Boondox
Travels With Barley

Oddometer: 2,881
Elmer,

Claude is right. Here are the dimensions I have for one tire manufacturer:
165/80R15: 25.4" OD, 6.5" width
155/80R15: 24.8" OD, 6.1" width

The Shinko 705 radial I currently run is 25.1" OD.
Boondox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 01:22 PM   #185
AceRph
Affluenza Free!

Oddometer: 24,441
The 155/80R15 would probably clear the fender of the hack better, both in width and diameter. I'm running 165/80R15 and it rubs the fender on the inside and on the top of the fender.

The lower gearing might be better, too. I'll bet it would run a lot better than the 165R15 that was originally on the car tire conversion.

“We are turning into a nation of whimpering slaves to Fear—fear of war, fear of poverty, fear of random terrorism, fear of getting down-sized or fired because of the plunging economy, fear of getting evicted for bad debts or suddenly getting locked up in a military detention camp on vague charges of being a Terrorist sympathizer.” —”Extreme Behavior in Aspen,” February 3, 2003

"The State sees the spectre looming ahead of terrorism and anarchy, and this increases the risk of its over-reaction and a reduction in our freedom." - Stanley Kubrick
AceRph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 02:53 PM   #186
BOOGIEMAN
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 365
Digby

we ate at the same place ,what great food.
BOOGIEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 03:04 PM   #187
ClearwaterBMW
The Examiner

Oddometer: 5,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOGIEMAN View Post
we ate at the same place ,what great food.
where is a picture of your food, please?
glad you resurrected this thread again
Live life like you mean it... but take your family and friends (and DOGS) along for the "ride"
ClearwaterBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 09:39 AM   #188
BOOGIEMAN
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 365
Picture of food

I have not gotten into taking pictures of my food. Came from a family of farmers and grabbed your food quickley or you were out of luck. Then came the Army where you ate quickley and moved on. So to answer your question the question food does not stay my plate long enough for photos.
BOOGIEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 10:31 AM   #189
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer: 2,274
Quote:
I have not gotten into taking pictures of my food. Came from a family of farmers and grabbed your food quickley or you were out of luck. Then came the Army where you ate quickley and moved on. So to answer your question the question food does not stay my plate long enough for photos.
Here ????

Abenteuerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 03:54 PM   #190
ClearwaterBMW
The Examiner

Oddometer: 5,972
Quote:
sadly.... i live my life like that now...
which is why i have an EVER-EXPANDING WAISTLINE.....
Live life like you mean it... but take your family and friends (and DOGS) along for the "ride"
ClearwaterBMW is offline   Reply With Quote