ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-18-2010, 04:16 AM   #31
Rainrider
Rainrider
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Delray Beach, FL
Oddometer: 24
ADV version

are they offering an ADV/PD version of this bike yet? Glad to know the motor is coming from Munich. at least one more thing not by way of China
Rainrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 10:52 AM   #32
JimR
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Central Ohio
Oddometer: 424
Progress??

Was just over at BMW Motorrad's website in the "News" section reading up on the new 2011 BMW G650GS and I have to tell you I am NOT impressed with the numbers. I am not a horse power junkie, but if you were getting 50-53 HP out of the power plant before why would you de-tune it on a "New and Improved" machine to 48 HP. Years ago (1985-89) when I was in Europe your "tax" for your machine was based on engine displacement, not horse power, I wonder if that has changed? Also, compared to my 2006 F650GS, the new machine has lost almost a whole gallon of fuel. 2006 F650GS holds4.52 gallons. New machine holds 3.7 gallons. Not progress IMHO, especially since they are touting the GS moniker, you know, "the road less traveled" bit. It has been my experience that the road less traveled has nothing to buy, this includes gas. Those owning the 2005 thru 2007 F650GS's may have a better machine, I certainly believe so. Regards, Jim.
__________________
2006 F650GS
JimR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 02:45 PM   #33
pyoungbl
Colonel Blood
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Portsmouth, Virginia
Oddometer: 410
G650GS Not so expensive...

I have seen some comments about the relative value in the '09~'10 G650GS, with the suggestion that the bike is over priced and thus not a good value. That might have been true in the recent past but BMW has some huge incentives right now and they change the value picture. Bottom line, I just got a brand new '10 for $6700 out the door. That's not much more than a new KLR...remember, I'm talking about all costs included. This is for a bike with ABS, heated grips, and a center stand. You might get an even better deal on a left over '09. If you intend to ride 'till the wheels fall off the year really does not matter much and, truth be told, the '11 does not sound like much of an improvement...just higher cost.
__________________
Growing old ain't for sissies!
pyoungbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 11:51 AM   #34
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor
 
RaY YreKa's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: YreKa BaKery
Oddometer: 16,131
bump.

This bike will allegedly come in at less than 5000, and allegedly does 88mpg (imperial) when ridden conservatively.

If the above are true, I would seriously consider this bike (I have never bought a new bike).

I love my 1150GS and I have quite a lot of money in it, but gas prices are approaching 7 a gallon here and predicted to get even worse.

Plus, I really liked my old F650GS and shouldn't have sold it..
__________________
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 01:14 PM   #35
SCQTT
Zwei Kolben
 
SCQTT's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: Mike's Sky Rancho
Oddometer: 5,317
This might be good.

Would be better with a Dakar version...big tank, spoke wheels, priced just below the 800GS


I could take one of these and my X Challenge and mash them together to create two cool bikes.

Perhaps....Perhaps not.
__________________
This is SPARTA!
SCQTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 01:24 PM   #36
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor
 
RaY YreKa's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: YreKa BaKery
Oddometer: 16,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCQTT View Post
This might be good.

Would be better with a Dakar version...big tank, spoke wheels, priced just below the 800GS


I could take one of these and my X Challenge and mash them together to create two cool bikes.

Perhaps....Perhaps not.
I could be wrong, but I think the 'new' 650 single is the same engine as the XChallenge.

BMW are way ahead of the curve in fuel consumption (ie. the F engines in general). Tax & fuel prices are getting silly here in Europe. It's costing me more to commute by bike than by car, which is ridiculous really.

But I so love the torque on the 1150..
__________________
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 01:34 PM   #37
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor
 
RaY YreKa's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: YreKa BaKery
Oddometer: 16,131
__________________
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 01:35 PM   #38
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor
 
RaY YreKa's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: YreKa BaKery
Oddometer: 16,131
__________________
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 01:35 PM   #39
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor
 
RaY YreKa's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: YreKa BaKery
Oddometer: 16,131
__________________
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 05:13 PM   #40
smoltz
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: NH
Oddometer: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyoungbl View Post
I have seen some comments about the relative value in the '09~'10 G650GS, with the suggestion that the bike is over priced and thus not a good value. That might have been true in the recent past but BMW has some huge incentives right now and they change the value picture. Bottom line, I just got a brand new '10 for $6700 out the door. That's not much more than a new KLR...remember, I'm talking about all costs included. This is for a bike with ABS, heated grips, and a center stand. You might get an even better deal on a left over '09. If you intend to ride 'till the wheels fall off the year really does not matter much and, truth be told, the '11 does not sound like much of an improvement...just higher cost.
My understanding is that the MSRP won't be much higher than the outgoing model. Obviously there won't be any incentives out of the gate but give it time :-)

Nice deal on the G650GS! Red or Black? I get my G650GS this week. I went for an 09 in White.

-Adam
smoltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 07:35 PM   #41
henrymartin
Mr. Tourguide
 
henrymartin's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: South of the Great North Woods
Oddometer: 3,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoltz View Post
My understanding is that the MSRP won't be much higher than the outgoing model. Obviously there won't be any incentives out of the gate but give it time :-)

Nice deal on the G650GS! Red or Black? I get my G650GS this week. I went for an 09 in White.

-Adam
I have an 09 in red...you won't be disappointed. Well, I miss the roll-on throttle response of my 1200 Bandit, but the GS is just soooooo much fun.
henrymartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:59 AM   #42
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor
 
RaY YreKa's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: YreKa BaKery
Oddometer: 16,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by sellmeyer View Post
I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned this yet...

...the engine on this has been de-tuned down to 48HP. I've read elsewhere that this will meet a new Euro-restriction on certain moto-licenses....?
Yep, from 2012 any rider under 24 will be restricted to 47bhp. I'm guessing the 48bhp here qualifies for some reason.

It's also just occured to me that it may be competing with the 660 Tenere over here, which is also 48bhp(ish).
__________________
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 12:12 PM   #43
Bambi
Studly Adventurer
 
Bambi's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Linz upon Rhine, Germany
Oddometer: 662
Hi all, hi Ray,
a German bike-mag, just testing the G 650 GS, messured it with an output of 51 PS (something similar to bph) at the clutch. They also stated, that BMW had the new learners' rule in mind when they stated 48 PS (I think, this will get calculated down when changing to kilowatts). World's getting crazy!
And to say my own opinion: That new old bike is a fine addition to the market and something, that is really needed!
Kind regards, Bambi
__________________
'Find me kindness, find me beauty, find me truth ...'
(Dreamtheater, Learning to live)
Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 12:48 PM   #44
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor
 
RaY YreKa's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: YreKa BaKery
Oddometer: 16,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi View Post
Hi all, hi Ray,
a German bike-mag, just testing the G 650 GS, messured it with an output of 51 PS (something similar to bph) at the clutch. They also stated, that BMW had the new learners' rule in mind when they stated 48 PS (I think, this will get calculated down when changing to kilowatts). World's getting crazy!
And to say my own opinion: That new old bike is a fine addition to the market and something, that is really needed!
Kind regards, Bambi
Absoutely mate; I could commute on this bike and then give it to my son in 4-5 years. If the UK price (4600) is true, it's very tempting.
__________________
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:58 AM   #45
Mr.Goose
Velvet Steamroller
 
Mr.Goose's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: USA
Oddometer: 1,229
We got this in today

Build quality seems better than the last generation. Engine is a Munich production again. The heated grips have an external wire now so a little odd but maybe the bars are more universal. This one is a low chassis with a standard seat on it.



Mr.Goose is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014