Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2010, 09:04 PM   #46
queenpdog OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 981
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmarino
It was an involving install as there is no easy plug in available. I used the FSM to find a wire with switched power and I soldered in a relay. That way if i ever leave the grips on it wont drain the battery. I also mounted the resistor to the sub frame under the bodywork. I'd be happy to point you in the right direction and could shoot a few photos for you.

Glad you are enjoying your bike!
I just read your whole ride report. Good thing I didn't have anything important to do tonight. Really good stuff. I'm glad to see that the Striple is a bike that can hold up for many 10's of thousands of miles. When are you going to finish the report?

A few pics of your relay install would be really helpful. I'm pretty mechanical, but I don't know much about electronics so I have been holding off on doing this job. I do have a soldering iron and have experience using that. Did you also install an accessory socket? I have a powerlet socket to install, but that item came with a pretty good plug and play setup. Looking forward to any tech support you can provide (and also the end of your report).

Cheers,
Julia

P.S. almost forgot....was that a ventura rack you had your Pelican mounted to? I'm wondering what became of the rack after the ride. I have heard of a few of the arms breaking and that ventura is pretty good about replacing them if that problem occurs. I'll have to keep an eye on mine.

'12 Tiger 800XC
'01 TW200
So long Street Triple R, Scrambler, R1150R, F650GS, R100RS....I've loved you all.
queenpdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 07:22 AM   #47
queenpdog OP
Studly Adventurer

Problem Solved!

I found the solution to winter in Minnesota. Now I can ride the striple all year 'round!

'12 Tiger 800XC
'01 TW200
So long Street Triple R, Scrambler, R1150R, F650GS, R100RS....I've loved you all.

queenpdog screwed with this post 09-22-2010 at 07:41 AM
Old 09-22-2010, 10:03 AM   #48
TheDogWeed
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenpdog
I found the solution to winter in Minnesota. Now I can ride the striple all year 'round!

I wonder if you can just put knobbies on the front and back? That would make the bike a viable options for those of us who only get a few inches at a time...
TheDogWeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 10:33 AM   #49
Dmarino
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenpdog
I just read your whole ride report. Good thing I didn't have anything important to do tonight. Really good stuff. I'm glad to see that the Striple is a bike that can hold up for many 10's of thousands of miles. When are you going to finish the report?

A few pics of your relay install would be really helpful. I'm pretty mechanical, but I don't know much about electronics so I have been holding off on doing this job. I do have a soldering iron and have experience using that. Did you also install an accessory socket? I have a powerlet socket to install, but that item came with a pretty good plug and play setup. Looking forward to any tech support you can provide (and also the end of your report).

Cheers,
Julia

P.S. almost forgot....was that a ventura rack you had your Pelican mounted to? I'm wondering what became of the rack after the ride. I have heard of a few of the arms breaking and that ventura is pretty good about replacing them if that problem occurs. I'll have to keep an eye on mine.
I hope to finish the report up in the next week or so. I only have two days left and I've post processed most of the photos so far.

I'll put together some info for you on equipping our bikes for electrical accessories as stock we don't get any nifty outlets to tap into. If you don't add a nice distribution system your battery terminals will look frighting quickly. I have seen an install where a powerlet socket was installed in the top of the radiator cowl. This would be nice for access as well as hiding the wires. To do this you will be at a minimum popping up the tank but it would be easier just to remove it so you can run the wires cleanly.

As for my luggage that is the venture rack holding up my huge Pelican (1650). I still have the gargantuan zip ties on there. I plan to weld the rails back up as they are not bend and add a bar to the passenger pegs to triangulate the rig. I'd send them back but to be honest id feel bad as i exceeded their rated capacity by at least 40lbs. As a special note the zip ties are holding up nicely.
Dmarino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 07:48 PM   #50
queenpdog OP
Studly Adventurer

'12 Tiger 800XC
'01 TW200
Old 10-18-2010, 08:01 PM   #51
queenpdog OP
Studly Adventurer

I did a 350 mile day on the Street Triple last weekend and she performed flawlessly. Started the ride with about 70 miles of slab, then hit some beautiful country backroads (really her element) including some sweeping esses. After that I took an unintended detour for about 15 miles of gravel ending in some soft sand (which prompted me to turn around). More backroads topped off the day as the sun retreated and the fall colors really glowed.

Here's a few shots from the day.

I do love this bike!

'12 Tiger 800XC
'01 TW200
Old 10-19-2010, 09:04 AM   #52
ccrat
Dumb as a box of hair

Oddometer: 931
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmarino
Adventure mode!
Outstanding!

ccrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 05:05 AM   #53
Essjay
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmarino View Post
As for my luggage that is the venture rack holding up my huge Pelican (1650).
Any photos?

R1100GS
Essjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 10:29 PM   #54
VixObs
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Hey, just found this thread I've had my 2009 ST3 for a little over two years and have put 36,000 miles on it through commuting (115 mile round-trip), canyons and multi-week/state touring. It's my second bike, an 07 Ninja 250 was my first. It's a standard but over time it's evolved into an "R".

I've added and changed a few things. I sent my seat off to Spencer for modification. It made a world of difference in the comfort. I use a Kriega US-40 tailpack and a Triumph tank bag for touring. The flyscreen and visor were a must for me for the highway speeds.

I love my bike
Attached Images

VixObs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 10:45 PM   #55
sebastianp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 258
How far are you striple riders getting from a tank?
sebastianp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 11:53 PM   #56
VixObs
Adventurer

I get around 160-170 per tank.

Here's a recent photo with all the upgrades and bling.
Attached Images

Old 02-10-2011, 11:55 PM   #57
VixObs
Adventurer

one more
Attached Images

Old 02-11-2011, 04:15 PM   #58
Tom Herold
Ugh...

Oddometer: 116
I average 160-170 a tank also.

GR8 bike, can't help but grin when I ride it.

I use an expandable tail bag (40L) and Triumph tank bag when travelling too. Also went with the Sargent seat for more comfort and support. Agree on the fly screen for highway running, it helps smooth out a lot of the rough air coming off the headlights and clocks.

Tom Herold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 07:40 AM   #59
rich_mc
Full Fledged MEM-Ber

Oddometer: 2,218
Nice looking bikes all....

Went to the dealer the other day to look at a used Tiger, but ended up lusting after both the green Street Triple and the red/white Speed Triple.... Gonna try to make up my mind and then probably buy in about 2 weeks or so....

I really liked both - part of me leans toward the Speed since I'm used to bigger 1200-ish cc bikes (K1200RS and R1150R), but my wife rides a 696 Monster and I think the Street would be more complementary to that one...

I used to do LONG trips, but now only do the 2-3 day weekends, so having a big tourer isn't really necessary....

Guess the biggest thing is that I like the wheels and single sided swingarm of the Speed better, but have doubts that something I can't even see while riding is worth an extra $3-4K...

2011 Connie 1400
rich_mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 08:01 AM   #60
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich_mc View Post

Guess the biggest thing is that I like the wheels and single sided swingarm of the Speed better, but have doubts that something I can't even see while riding is worth an extra $3-4K...

I can help you here.

First and foremost, that kind of price spread you are looking at a base Street Triple, avoid those, its WELL worth the money to get the R that has a MUCH MUCH better suspension and brakes, the Streets non-adjustable forks are to light for anything more that urban commuting if you are in the neighborhood of 200lbs, I manged to bottom them setting up for corners at about 225lbs geared....on the street, not even charging corners, that was slowing for an off-ramp.

The R is WELL worth the premium to get the Daytona's forks and brakes.....
.....and the Phantom Black is drop dead sexy.

If you are the type (like me) that usually has to many projects to let other people do their maintenance, that single sider is a dream.

You can change the sprokets and chain with the bike on its SIDE stand, and if you get a reversible rear stand you can literally have the rear tire off the bike in about 5 minutes from entering the garage.

This makes rear maintenance a LOT easier.

Rear wheel alignment? What rear alignment, you can't get it wrong, and chain adjustments take all of 2 minutes you literally loosen a pinch bolt and give the eccentric a tug and you are off.

All in all the Street R is a better all around bike then a 2005-2010 Speed Triple, HOWEVER the Speed Triple is physically bigger and much more stable, and easier bike to ride than a Street which tends toward high-strung everything RIGHT now...you think it and the bike is halfway there

So I bought a Daytona and kept my old Speed Triple I get both.
Tripped1 is online now   Reply With Quote