Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2011, 03:22 PM   #61
Tom Herold
Ugh...

Oddometer: 116
Perpective is everything - just like opinions.

I measured the Street R against the standard Street and for me, the standard is more than sufficient. I'm not a track racer, I'm an everyday rider, commuter, and weekend runner.

The added expense of the adjustable suspension and race spec brakes weren't enough to sway me over for the price.

The standard Street has a decent enough suspension for us common folk, and the brakes are far more than capable of handeling the task they're required to do.

I've run the Dragon (US 129), Cherohala Skyway, and US 28, as well as plenty of back roads and interstate to know I made the right choice for me and my style of riding.

I owned a 955i Tiger, a Sprint ST, and A Trophy 1200 at the time I was looking at the hooligan side of the Triumph line-up.

I did make several comparison rides between the Speed and the Street, as well as the Street R. Ultimately, the standard Street won out and I was able to save some bucks to do the mods I wanted - upgraded seat, fly screen, some luggage, mirror extenders, bar end weights, etc.

Regardless of anyone elses opinion, the end result is yours to make. Just take your time, ride each one, do some comparisons and ask owners of each bike what they feel the strengths and weaknesses are.

Then pull the trigger on the one you want and ride it like you stole it.......
Tom Herold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 04:35 PM   #62
rich_mc
Full Fledged MEM-Ber

Oddometer: 2,218
Thanks for the responses...

You're right - The two I saw were the Speed Triple SE and also the base Model Street Triple (Non-R)...

I didn't go deep enough to find out exact cost difference between the two, but know it was $3-4K...

I'm not a little guy @ about 240 w/o gear. I've typically found that I end up changing out to aftermarket shocks on just about every bike I buy... Did a little research and it looks like the Speed SE comes with upgraded suspension, but I bet they're closer to factory level than an Ohlins level...But I should check into that....

It sounds like I do need to ride them...I've liked just about every bike I've ever rideen, EXCEPT for an Aprilia Shiver I test rode once... It had barely any miles but yet the brakes squealed like crazy and the throttle response was so snatchy that it was nearly impossible to ride a straight road at a constant speed...Twas miserable... I worry a little bit that the "right now" handling of the Street may make it feel similar....

Cost difference isn't really a big concern, though I do love savings as much as the next guy... But like I said I'm probably 2 weeks from purchase, so it looks like I need to do some reading/test riding soon....

The Speed amazed me as soon as I saw it with the spectacular paint job...The green Street was very nice as well, but it was stripped and I like it better once I saw some pics of them with the flyscreen, etc...

One bonus for the Speed is that I see Givi makes sidebag supports for it, which I don't see for the Street...Definitely like the ability to carry a little extra luggage on those weekend jaunts....

2011 Connie 1400
rich_mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 04:55 PM   #63
Tom Herold
Ugh...

For side baggage, I'm going with a set-up from The Cycle Guys.

What I like is you don't need mounts, they're already on the bike in the form of the passenger foot pegs. You won't have the mounts left on the bike as is true with the Givi's.

A decent price for a very functional set-up

Check out the link for more info:
http://www.thecycleguys.com/default....&ProductID=193
Old 02-12-2011, 05:22 PM   #64
rich_mc
Full Fledged MEM-Ber

Looks interesting for sure...doubtful that loss of rear pegs would ever be an issue since my wifes normally on her own bike anyway....

2011 Connie 1400
Old 02-13-2011, 12:38 AM   #65
burgerking
echt bezopen

Oddometer: 642
Thread needs a bit of colour

I went for the StripleR, price difference vs the normal is small considering what you get for the money imho. And I wanted an orange one so...
burgerking is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 11:18 AM   #66
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerking View Post
Thread needs a bit of colour

I went for the StripleR, price difference vs the normal is small considering what you get for the money imho. And I wanted an orange one so...
+1

....and with color matched rad covers that bike would be perfect, not that it isn't sexy anyway.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 03:20 PM   #67
rich_mc
Full Fledged MEM-Ber

My dealer has 3 non-R models in stock, but no R's... How would a non-R model with ohlins compare to the stock suspension on the R from a performance perspective? Of course, price excluded as I'd have to make sure the deal made sense...

2011 Connie 1400
Old 02-13-2011, 04:49 PM   #68
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich_mc View Post
My dealer has 3 non-R models in stock, but no R's... How would a non-R model with ohlins compare to the stock suspension on the R from a performance perspective? Of course, price excluded as I'd have to make sure the deal made sense...
Aftermarket Ohlins would bitch slap a stock R boingers all over the place.

Just make sure that you factor in brakes, I'm not sure Ohlin makes the proper USD in the right barrel and axial brakes. However, considering the $2500 STARTING price on a set of Ohlins forks, getting the R for $1000 (I think ?) more sort of makes sense. The forks on the R are the double ckickers off the 06-08 Daytona and more than adequate for 95% riding. If you happen to be an advanced trackday rider you might overrun them a little.

At 240 the stock street's springs are going to be WAY to soft, 200 pound riders complain about bottoming them (as I did).
Old 02-13-2011, 04:52 PM   #69
Tom Herold
Ugh...

AFAIK adding in the price of the ohlins would take you close to the price of an R model, if not over it......

The biggest reason you might want to go that route would be color options for the standard Street versus the R's where color's are a bit limited.

The engines, fuel management, gearing, are the same between the Street and the R - the only differences being an adjustable suspension, race spec brakes and different material covering the seat.
Old 02-13-2011, 04:55 PM   #70
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Herold View Post
AFIK adding in the price of the ohlins would take you close to the price of an R model.

The biggest reason you might want to go that route would be color options for the standard Street versus the R's where color's are a bit limited.

The engines, fuel management, gearing, are the same between the Street and the R - the only differences being an adjustable suspension, race spec brakes and different material covering the seat.

You are talking $3500 for Ohlins all the way around for a low-end set....at least.

Plus the aforementioned need to change brake calipers, would be sort of silly to blow 50% of bikes price on suspension and keep those little axial brakes.
Old 02-14-2011, 03:55 AM   #71
Tom Herold
Ugh...

Uh.... yeah.... that's what I'm expressing....

It's not necessarily worth it to buy a standard Street and add a high end suspension when you can buy a Street R with an adjustable set-up and race spec brakes.

Unless, of course, that's what you want to do, for what ever reason you want to do it.....

Everyone has their reasons, purpose, and individual ideas. That makes it their decision.

No prob.
Old 02-14-2011, 05:08 AM   #72
rich_mc
Full Fledged MEM-Ber

Making much more sense now....Didn't realize Ohlins forks were that expensive - Ohlins I'd used before were for telelever BMW's and they were typically about $1300 for the pair.... At $3500 plus, then it makes no sense to go standard Street and then upgrade....

I've read a lot about both the Street and Speed, and there are pros/cons for both... I guess I'm just gonna hae to wait until later in the month when I can get back over there and actually ride them both to decide.... With my short attention span, there's a good possibility that some other bike will encroach on the decision between now and then too...

Regardless, I appreciate your guys' input and will probably have a few more questions between now and then.... Thanks,
Rich

2011 Connie 1400
Old 02-14-2011, 12:11 PM   #73
burgerking
echt bezopen

Oddometer: 642
If you want to know what Ohlins front and rear suspension would cost you, look at the Daytona675, Triumph now has a R version of the Daytona with Ohlins front/rear and Brembo monoblocs. Want a perfect trackday bike...look no further (or get the RSV4 APRC )

The normal Street is nice bike, suspension is on the soft side but main problem is the rear shock. Get the normal Striple and find some shock on fleabay...loads of them around.

The Speed? The 2011 should be real improvement. The 'old' one was not for me, reach to the bars to long, compared to the Street. Top heavy feeling.

Ride them all and make your choice, that's what I did.
burgerking is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 01:00 PM   #74
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Personally I'm waiting to see what Triumph comes up with for the next generation motor.

IF they come up with a 150(ish) HP 1200cc I'll be all over that, otherwise the Diavel is calling me

But I'm not in the market for another year or two so I can play waiting games.
Old 02-14-2011, 05:20 PM   #75
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,232
It's always cheaper to buy a factory bike with Ohlins stock than to add Ohlins-quality components later. The Ducati ST3s/ST4s were great deals in this regard. The 675R will be, too. Adding Ohlins to a STripleR after the fact will be way more than the new cost of a Daytona 657R.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Gryphon12 is offline   Reply With Quote