User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2011, 03:16 PM   #1
Dzini OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 402
Help with side car

I am looking for more info about the side car I bought. Name ,where I can get mounting brackets ,is this side car good,safe......I wanted to mount the side car to my 1970 BMW R75/5.The side car was mounted to BMW R60/5, but I am still missing some hardware. Thank you for any help..

Thanks Dzini

Dzini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 03:46 PM   #2
Uncle Ernie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,978
American Spirit Eagle. Long out of business. Swell tubs for smaller bikes because they are so light. You'll want to add ballast.

Struts?! WE AIN'T GOT NO STINKING STRUTS! (BTW, you'll be wanting a sub-frame, also)

Look Claude up in "Members". He may have advice on struts. In general, you might want to trip down the stairs to the "Hacks" Dept.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:16 PM   #3
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,179
Ernies got it . I have one hooked up to an SR500 Yamaha. Back in the 70's I had a another one on my 900 Z-1. My friend Ralph had one on a 900 until he High-Preformance Sidecar religon and bought a Sidebike FJ1200.
My other bud Steve has one on his 900/1000 Kaw now . It's not a bad car just really light.

Oh and it's stylin' and chicks dig it
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:04 PM   #4
Dzini OP
Gnarly Adventurer

side car

Thanks for the info.Now any body knows where I can get the brackets attached to the frame of the bike (BMW R75/5)? New cover for seat? New wheel (17'')

Thanks Dzini
Old 02-09-2011, 05:31 AM   #5
Uncle Ernie
Beastly Adventurer

Ever heard the term "rubber cow"?
Unless you don't mind turning that into a bike that permanently makes right turns only- you WILL need a subframe. Like I said, Claude and a few others downstairs can help with that.
Old 02-09-2011, 02:33 PM   #6
dduelin
Oh boy that was close

Oddometer: 1,296
http://www.dmcsidecars.com/

These folks can help you out if you really want to press forward. I mounted a similar lightweight chair to my R100 several years ago but it wasn't for me. /5, /6 and /7 Airhead frames are much lighter than really necessary to make a good tug. They flex and bend way to much even with a subframe bolted up and the stock forks will work you very hard. After the /2's BMW omitted the sidecar mounting lugs on the frame and moved on.....This girl dances best solo. Just my two cents.

Dave
dduelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 07:18 AM   #7
Dzini OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Side car

From what you guys told me I can't install side car to r75/5 with out series modification. I wanted to use this side car to enjoy ride with my 3 year old douther. The question is: the frame twisting becouse the waight of the car or pasenger? The car gone be use a few times in the year. Thanks dzini
Old 02-10-2011, 10:24 AM   #8
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 3,781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelms View Post
Dauntless Subframe for BMW R75/5 $350

http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/2205848095.html
Hmmm would this help??
Old 02-10-2011, 11:36 AM   #9
DaveBall
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,155
Or you could follow in the steps of MANY who have done some minimal frame strengthening and ridden many thousands of miles with a hack like yours. Check out SnowBum's web site for some of the simple things he did to his R100RT. Sure, there are lots of things that would be nice on a hack, such as leading link front end, full frame strengthening, sub frame, etc. But, for the type of use you describe, all I would do is the small cross member that Snowbum placed above his battery box. And get the sidecar adjustments as close to perfect as you can.

One of the biggest causes of frame flex on a hack is not setting up the hack correctly. Not everybody totally understands this. It will put more strain on your frame, but if installed properly and ridden properly, you can get a lot of miles on one. This goes for all models of airheads from /5 thru /7 twin shocks. I have no experience with later mono shock bikes.
DaveBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 01:36 PM   #10
dduelin
Oh boy that was close

Oddometer: 1,296
I wouldn't say it couldn't be done. Not at all. With a little work you could take your daughter for a ride around the block a few times a year but it takes considerable time getting the car attached and set up properly in the at least three different adjustments. That is what the threaded portions of the struts are for. The car toes in, the bike leans slightly out, the car axle is at a certain "sweet spot" ahead of the motorcycle's rear wheel axle. All variables that each combination needs set up differently. If these are out of kilter the thing will be difficult to herd down the road with stock forks. What I am saying is that my experience with a similar sidecar, a Velorex 562, and a /7 was not worth the effort and expense I put in it. I bought the Dauntless kit with subframe and mounting lugs and spent considerable time setting castor, camber, and wheel lead. However, for your described use it would be adequate. I just knew how sweetly the bike rode on two wheels compared to how it struggled on three and sold the Velorex. I did sell it to a guy who had one one a /6 and wanted a second so there you go.

Most sidecarists will suggest a different bike to start with. One problem with airheads is the lightweight subframe that mounts the seat and rear shock upper bolts. It does the job admirably for what it is designed for but it lacks strength and rigidity in the side-to-side (lateral??) axis and the rear upper sidecar strut has to bolt to it. The /5 has a long history of cracking the subframe under just vertical rider and passenger seat loads and the sidecar will add lateral and fore-and-aft loads during acceleration and braking.

Dave
dduelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 07:44 PM   #11
Dzini OP
Gnarly Adventurer

side car

Wow ....Thanks for the advice.I really like my airhead and last thing on my mind is to destroy the bike.My other question: is the 1975 CB500T better bike for a side car? Also the new Royal Infield is it better bike for a side car?The problem is that I can't afford to have 3 bikes.Thanks again for all info it really helps me to make the right decision.

Thanks Dzini
Old 02-14-2011, 06:25 AM   #12
Uncle Ernie
Beastly Adventurer

Good question-
Assuming you'll be taking a small daughter round (ie not very fast), I think both/either bike would work. The CB would not have a LOT of giddy-up down low, whereas the Enfield UCE would be great for stats and stops because of low-end torque. I'm guessing both would do OK at around 50-55mph in general.

Money is a concern; a good used CB500 (or 550) will cost a lot less than a new UCE- BUT
RE is soon coming out with a more entry-level Bullet using the new engine in an old frame. Target price is under $6K. Could be worth calling a dealer and getting details.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:05 AM   #13
DaveBall
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,155
A lot of Enfield dealers are selling the Bullet with a Cozy sidecar. These are very light sidecars and those that I have talked to really like them. They seem to mate up with the Bullet very nicely.
DaveBall is offline   Reply With Quote