Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2010, 05:43 AM   #61
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 11,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironkique

S
o I come home Friday and I see my neighbor is sitting on his stoop. I pull up and he asks me for help. He just bought one of these and was having some trouble. He said the idle was really high. I go over and check it and his choke is on. Long story short, he bought the bike from Mid Island Kawasaki. They delivered it to him. He got his permit the day before and has been learning how to ride through You Tube videos. Yeah I said it.
He crashed 4 times before I got there, and when I tried to take him. around the block he fell 3 more times, got his first road rash. I tried to school him but he's not a quick learner. He couldn't figure out the clutch to throttle balance. He never left first gear.
I was amazed how bad he was. He fell 7 times on his first day. My point is that they'll give a bike to anybody. He didn't know how to shift gears, what the choke did, that he actually had to push and hold the starter button and that he has to pull the clutch in to stop. I had a mentor at least. He's scheduled for the msf course next weekend. I recommended that he doesn't touch it until then, and lent him a well armored pressure suit.
Dude.
At least it's not a GSXR1K. I soooooooooooo want one of those little 'tards! Hopefully the MSF sorts him out.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 06:47 AM   #62
Uncle Pollo
happy cachiporra

Oddometer: 47,430
First guy forgot to look where he was going. All went to hell.

Second guy opened full throttle on full lean. Hilarity insued.
Uncle Pollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 07:39 AM   #63
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolloAsado
First guy forgot everything about motorcycle riding. All went to hell.
Fixed for ya!
Old 09-27-2010, 07:20 PM   #64
ironkique OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilNinjaDog
Dude.
At least it's not a GSXR1K. I soooooooooooo want one of those little 'tards! Hopefully the MSF sorts him out.
I did ride it and it is a nice little bike. Doesn't have the power of my KTM but it will cruise at 70 and get 70 mpg. Nice...

Anyone Here Got Thin Skin? There's The freakin Door!
ironkique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 07:23 AM   #65
ironkique OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
Fist full of brake? Can you see the forks flex?

Anyone Here Got Thin Skin? There's The freakin Door!
ironkique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 07:52 AM   #66
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,979
You've all missed the obvious. The camera alters the force of gravity and will cause an otherwise safe navigation into a yardsale.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:29 AM   #67
DavidKXF
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
If you ask me the camera man should be banned from there and none of these crashes would have occurred.
DavidKXF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 09:50 AM   #68
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,979
Yep. That too.
Old 02-15-2011, 12:16 PM   #69
RottenScummyTroll
Traveler

Oddometer: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironkique View Post

S
o I come home Friday and I see my neighbor is sitting on his stoop. I pull up and he asks me for help. He just bought one of these and was having some trouble. He said the idle was really high. I go over and check it and his choke is on. Long story short, he bought the bike from Mid Island Kawasaki. They delivered it to him. He got his permit the day before and has been learning how to ride through You Tube videos. Yeah I said it.
He crashed 4 times before I got there, and when I tried to take him. around the block he fell 3 more times, got his first road rash. I tried to school him but he's not a quick learner. He couldn't figure out the clutch to throttle balance. He never left first gear.
I was amazed how bad he was. He fell 7 times on his first day. My point is that they'll give a bike to anybody. He didn't know how to shift gears, what the choke did, that he actually had to push and hold the starter button and that he has to pull the clutch in to stop. I had a mentor at least. He's scheduled for the msf course next weekend. I recommended that he doesn't touch it until then, and lent him a well armored pressure suit.
Sounds similar to a buddy of mine who learned to ride a couple seasons back. Granted, his first time out was on my KLR which was a bit tall for him, and not the easiest to take off from a stop for a n00b.

Here in the States where over half the population can't even drive manual transmission cars, I think mechanical function awareness is especially low. Show folks something with a clutch and carburetor, and it's like teaching a baboon to use a Macbook.

Nowadays my buddy is a pretty solid rider. Still short-shifts like crazy (hasn't really figured out the powerband thing) but he's capable and safe, and knows his limits and that's good enough I reckon.
Old 02-15-2011, 03:43 PM   #70
Tepi
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 543
That buell guy, ouch, his ankle does a nice 180 degree turn when his sneaker grabs the asphalt. I'd say that roadrash comes 2nd.

And those car drivers on some of those videos, man they're just idiots! Almost nailing bikers with stupid Initial D and Need for speed driving style, no care for anyone coming on the same road.
Tepi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 04:26 PM   #71
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,206
What did they do wrong? Everthing and they are idiots. Imho none of them were going very fast - maybe faster than the speedlimit, but even that's not obvious (and I can't say I'd be going as slow as any of them ). Mostly they just suck. #1 guy skids the rear brake and doesn't try to turn. #2 guy has the world's worst body positioning and wacks the throttle. He's going slow, but the bike's leaned over 'cause he's hanging off the wrong side. #3 guy also is an idiot with the body positioning and tops it of with a gigantic handful of brake.

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 07:31 PM   #72
tigerboy
Tight as a Tiger

Oddometer: 111
Question

First page : Both those guys were very lucky with their get-offs and were miraculously in accidents they could walk away from. Especially that second guy, the way he landed he could have easily crunched both his feet, ankles and all, going months before walking again normally. I'd love to crash like that.

Now the Buell...

Hell, I didn't think it was possible under those conditions to tuck the front end at that kind of lean angle, what, 20° ? Sunny day, no road debris that I can see, tire screech suggests he did not hit gravel or anything.

I've used the front brake many times with that kind of lean angle (not grabbing a fistful, mind you). Wow, maybe I'd better rethink that.

That might explain why I've lost the front end in the last two times I've gone down. Cold tires were partly it, and surface was somewhat slick or rough in both cases. I wish I could remember if I actually used any front brake. I think I must have. Wish I knew because I don't want it to happen again, then develop a fear to lean the bike.

Damn.

Tigerboy.com

tigerboy screwed with this post 02-15-2011 at 07:39 PM Reason: Buell Lowside : Jeans 0, Pavement 1
tigerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:00 PM   #73
lemieuxmc
Banned

Oddometer: 3,360
I've commented on these videos previously because they truly illustrate the folly of trying to use technology to out pace stupidity... ABS, DTC, Stability Control, you name it, it just won't work!
lemieuxmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:51 PM   #74
jackflash
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313
I have been riding for a very long time, about from 5 years old. Grew up riding dirt, then moved to street, then back to dirt/street mix. What amazes me is most people have never ridden in the dirt. They go by a street bike with little to no experience, that most likely has to much power, and when something small happens they panic and fall. I think it's crazy not to start out on dirt, with a reasonable size bike. When people tell me they want a bike and I know they have never ridden, I tell them to get a, smaller than they want, DS and offer to take them out into the country to ride some dirt.

Not saying I have never fallen/crash, I have many many times (90% in dirt though). Although I have never fallen/crashed on the street because of something I did or failed to do and I think it is because of the skills I learned in the dirt.

Maybe I am wrong though. I am awesome.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:49 PM   #75
Aussijussi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,125
As someone pointed out, these guy's werent going fast at all, for a minute i thought it was all done for the camera's, if they drop bike at those speed's, they shouldnt be on public road's. I go faster on my driveway!
Aussijussi is offline   Reply With Quote