Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2010, 04:56 PM   #16
redhandmoto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 565
And so have I, but it becomes something to think about if you expect to tour - waiting out Vespa, USA in some boondocks ville while they, ah, 'respond' is not my idea of fun.

I like the bikes; I've owned the bikes; the bikes are good - the corporate support blows goats.

N America is not important to Piaggio. Forget what they say; even dealers complain about what they do...or not...I have heard it, seen it, and been on the receiving end of it myself. They are making no real attmept to widen their market share here; even at home, their position has eroded relative to Japan and Taiwan.

It's a goddamn shame - I want to buy the 500ie but if the N American market is too small for Piaggio to properly support - and support according to US business practices and expectations, and not Italian standards - well, so be it.

Piaggio, Aprilia, 'Beo mega scoots will only ever be 'boutique' marques here is parts support remains as it is.
DR-Z400SM, '68 Honda 305, '64 Honda C110, '06 Honda VT750, GTS 250ie, Genuine 150, Vino 125, Zuma 125, Yam C3, Honda Met, Tomos ST, PCX 150, Honda PS250 Big Ruck, Vino Classic 49, Honda Rebel, and a Lifan CT 70 clone I forgot about...
redhandmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 12:51 PM   #17
Oilhed
MarkF

Oddometer: 3,881
Doesnt it have the same drivetrain as the Piaggio BV500?

new bike - BMW R1150GS
old bikes - Ducati ST3 (RIP), BMW R1100R, R75 & R65, Suzuki Bandit 600, Guzzi V65SP, Kawi KLR600, etc.
Oilhed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 12:26 PM   #18
MillCreek
ADV Risk Manager

Oddometer: 1,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilhed
Doesnt it have the same drivetrain as the Piaggio BV500?
The BV500 and the Scarabeo 500ie are pretty much the same bike except for some bodywork/cosmetics. I have read elsewhere that the drivetrain is identical.
2012 Suzuki DL650A as the current bike
Whole bunch of bikes in the past
MillCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 12:37 PM   #19
approachbears
250cc is 50cc too many

Oddometer: 917
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillCreel
The BV500 and the Scarabeo 500ie are pretty much the same bike except for some bodywork/cosmetics. I have read elsewhere that the drivetrain is identical.
The underseat is better shaped for storage on the Scarabeo.
approachbears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 01:33 PM   #20
White Tenere OP
Look a moose

Oddometer: 722
Quote:
Originally Posted by approachbears
The underseat is better shaped for storage on the Scarabeo.
My Shoei Multi-Tech fits under the seat (on it's side) no problem..
White Tenere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 08:05 AM   #21
Maytag Repairman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
I'm Scooter-curious. I see several people reporting that the Beo (as well as other larger scooters) has enough power for the highway and accelerating from a stop, but are they stable at highway speeds? Are they good on rougher streets?

I'm interested in possibly getting a scooter one day. To explain where I come from I used to own a Honda Rebel 250. I found it to be nimble in city traffic but never great accelerating from a stop and though several owners would say you could take it out on the highway, I found it terrible at maintaining any sort of highway speed except when going downhill or on flat ground. I also found it to be rather unstable at highway speeds with the bike reacting more than I found comfortable to any rut or tar strip in the road. I later sold it for a Suzuki C50 (an 800cc-ish cruiser) and found a night and day difference with the larger, wider front tire much less sensitive to imperfections in the road.
Maytag Repairman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 08:36 AM   #22
White Tenere OP
Look a moose

Oddometer: 722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maytag Repairman
I'm Scooter-curious. I see several people reporting that the Beo (as well as other larger scooters) has enough power for the highway and accelerating from a stop, but are they stable at highway speeds? Are they good on rougher streets?

I'm interested in possibly getting a scooter one day. To explain where I come from I used to own a Honda Rebel 250. I found it to be nimble in city traffic but never great accelerating from a stop and though several owners would say you could take it out on the highway, I found it terrible at maintaining any sort of highway speed except when going downhill or on flat ground. I also found it to be rather unstable at highway speeds with the bike reacting more than I found comfortable to any rut or tar strip in the road. I later sold it for a Suzuki C50 (an 800cc-ish cruiser) and found a night and day difference with the larger, wider front tire much less sensitive to imperfections in the road.
I've only owned the Aprilia Scarabeo 500IE a few days but I can tell you its a great ride, it will out pull most cars from a stop and will climb right up to 80-90mph if you keep on it..

Most owners say it will top 100mph!! I was two up on the freeway doing 85mph (keeping up with traffic) and it still had plenty to give for passing. She rode stable and I was confident and comfortable at those speeds. The large wheel size is the key to this, I've had small wheeled scoots 8"/10" and going over 50mph can get twitchy

I'm in love with this scoot, its acts/rides like a motorcycle..
SCOOTERCYCLE!!!

Go test ride one and you'll see... It's all good.
White Tenere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 12:39 PM   #23
MillCreek
ADV Risk Manager

Oddometer: 1,811
Quote:

One of the advantages of the Beo is the large wheels which give it tremendous stability and the capacity to soak up or ride over bumps. In the Seattle/Kitsap area, I would not take a 250 cc anything on the freeways or Highway 3. You should probably be looking at a minimum of a 400 cc maxi-scooter.

I actually find that due to the weight and low center of gravity, my Beo is more stable on the freeway than my DR650. The DR can get blown around a bit, which certainly increases the pucker factor at times!
2012 Suzuki DL650A as the current bike
Whole bunch of bikes in the past
MillCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 02:48 AM   #24
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,785
Quote:
Beo500, BV400 (Peugeot Gepolis 400), X9 500 (Peugeot Satelis 500),
a few of which I've had a ride on.. all have better handling/suspension
then my Ninja 650.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 09:17 AM   #25
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Any new Scarabeo 500 owners?

Seems they put the new(er) 493cc piaggio master engine (from the
fuoco/mp3 500, bv500 cruiser) in it.. and I've been eyeballing a used
one localy..

Anyone want my Kwak?

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
Old 02-17-2011, 10:19 AM   #26
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post
Any new Scarabeo 500 owners?

Seems they put the new(er) 493cc piaggio master engine (from the
fuoco/mp3 500, bv500 cruiser) in it.. and I've been eyeballing a used
one localy..

Anyone want my Kwak?

I don't own one, but I know a few who have. All I can say is overall they are REALLY nice scoots.

They are the ultimate mix of both worlds of scooters. While they are big scooters with 500 cc motors, they aren't nearly as big as your typical maxi scooter like a Burgman 400 or 650. They are lighter and far less bulky overall, and without any saddle bags or trunks, etc they look more like a 250 cc or 300 cc big wheeled scooter. This makes them a lot more practical for around town riding, and more fun in the twisties.

BUT they still have a 500 cc engine, higher ratio transmission, suspension, frame, etc of a 500 so they can handle interstates with ease and have plenty of power. They top out at around 100 MPH, which is enough for almost any highway riding.

So all in all, I would check one out. Keep scanning Craigslist, once in a while they pop up for around $3,500 around here.
btcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 10:23 AM   #27
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by btcn View Post
I don't own one, but I know a few who have. All I can say is overall they are REALLY nice scoots.

They are the ultimate mix of both worlds of scooters. While they are big scooters with 500 cc motors, they aren't nearly as big as your typical maxi scooter like a Burgman 400 or 650. They are lighter and far less bulky overall, and without any saddle bags or trunks, etc they look more like a 250 cc or 300 cc big wheeled scooter. This makes them a lot more practical for around town riding, and more fun in the twisties.

BUT they still have a 500 cc engine, higher ratio transmission, suspension, frame, etc of a 500 so they can handle interstates with ease and have plenty of power. They top out at around 100 MPH, which is enough for almost any highway riding.

So all in all, I would check one out. Keep scanning Craigslist, once in a while they pop up for around $3,500 around here.
For $3500.. you can't get a good used 250 here..
Check my location..

But thanks for the thumbs up.
I'm not sure if I can make myself get a non-ABS bike yet.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:41 AM   #28
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
For $3500.. you can't get a good used 250 here..
Check my location..

But thanks for the thumbs up.
I'm not sure if I can make myself get a non-ABS bike yet.

Oh, I forgot about that. That kind of sucks. How much are they going for new over there? They go for about $6,300 MSRP here, which is completive.

BTW as for the ABS there is an ABS version of the Burgman 400, don't know if you'll get it over there or not. But good luck finding a scoot!
Old 02-17-2011, 11:13 AM   #29
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by btcn View Post
Oh, I forgot about that. That kind of sucks. How much are they going for new over there? They go for about $6,300 MSRP here, which is completive.

BTW as for the ABS there is an ABS version of the Burgman 400, don't know if you'll get it over there or not. But good luck finding a scoot!
Thanks, I'm all over the place looking at BV/Beverly 500 Cruiser, Scarabeo 500
(493cc), the Downtown 300i and Xciting 500Ri..

The Scarabeo 500 I.E. (new) is more or less $8600, which is already above my
budget. , ABS version was never available here.

Burgman 400 is over $11.500 without ABS!
My bike (ER6F/650R ABS) was cheaper then that..

Like that's not enough.. most of us work for less then $600/month.
Different thread..

Old 02-17-2011, 01:41 PM   #30
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks, I'm all over the place looking at BV/Beverly 500 Cruiser, Scarabeo 500
(493cc), the Downtown 300i and Xciting 500Ri..

The Scarabeo 500 I.E. (new) is more or less $8600, which is already above my
budget. , ABS version was never available here.

Burgman 400 is over $11.500 without ABS!
My bike (ER6F/650R ABS) was cheaper then that..

Like that's not enough.. most of us work for less then $600/month.
Different thread..

No problem. I understand your situation. The Burgman 400 regular version costs $6,599 and theres a sale on it so its only $5,599 brand new right now! The Burgman 400 ABS has a bit of a heafty price tag at $7,499, but its not that bad with the $1,000 off it is $6,499. Thats sucks that they cost that much there! The 650 only costs $8,699/ $7,699 with sale here. Thats a LOT of money of a 400 cc scooter! Who has that kind of money for a scooter?

I also don't have a lot of money either right know, but I am hoping I will be making some soon. But I unfortunantly now have my eye on a used Road King/ or another Touring model Harley! And THEN a Burgman 400 maybe, and who knows whats next?

Your looking into a bigger scooter though? I mean if bikes are cheaper than big scooters over there, then maybe a bike that meets your needs better? Or find a good deal on a used scoot. I personally love scooters, but if a bike costs less and makes more sense, I won't have much of a choice.