Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 154 votes, 4.79 average. Display Modes
Old 02-17-2011, 01:13 PM   #19021
Oznerol
The Happy Machine

Oddometer: 963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiac View Post
But it's been years since I've done MTN biking. I really want a bear trap type pedal that also has an inert clipless SPD or Crank Brothers type etc easy contact. But I also like to have the bear trap when things get slow and technical, and I've tried the eggbeater's in tight mud single track and hated them.
That's a change -- I remember you saying a while back that MTB held little appeal for you. You should bring that thing up to Westchester.

Personally I ride eggbeaters everywhere, on and off road. I've ridden wide platforms in dirt, and I honestly do feel a bit more stable on them when bombing down a rough downhill. But I hate them everywhere else, especially when climbing, so I stick with the eggs.
Oznerol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 04:46 PM   #19022
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 30,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oznerol View Post
That's a change -- I remember you saying a while back that MTB held little appeal for you. You should bring that thing up to Westchester.

Personally I ride eggbeaters everywhere, on and off road. I've ridden wide platforms in dirt, and I honestly do feel a bit more stable on them when bombing down a rough downhill. But I hate them everywhere else, especially when climbing, so I stick with the eggs.
Yeah, this winter got the MTN bike jonze back in me, last time I rode MTN was about 4 yrs ago on the old Klein, and the eggbeaters were awful in the wet muddy single track so I'm looking for the old trusty bear traps when dropping down a tight path of slippery mud and rock.

Don't get me wrong, I'll always be a roadie....

PS - I'm x country skiing in northern VT this wknd, will update on the Xcountry ski thread.
1992 BMW K100 transmission housing
2014 Box of General Tso's Chicken with Xtra spice

Zodiac screwed with this post 02-17-2011 at 04:53 PM
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 04:49 PM   #19023
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Hey CDP: HTFU only wussies and beginners ride them flip-floppy things. REAL men ride SPDs and don't whinge about it on the innerwebs.

There. Feel at home now?

Seriously. Them half and half pedals are all OK. You can get something like this if you'd rather just get 'regular' SPDs. That way, yer not stuck getting new pedals when you've been off-roading enough to not need the flats any more. Yer LBS prolly has a few pairs layin around from when they useta come on every bike sold with SPDs so you may not even hafta pay for em.

M
Okay choooperman......

That's why I'm looking at em.. (the SPDs).

PS - I've had those clip on platforms, they weighed more than the bike (solid blocks of alum) and were impossible to get off once you clicked them on.....
Old 02-17-2011, 07:57 PM   #19024
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYeti View Post
B.

I like em I've got on two bikes,both are road bikes.we've got a lot stoplights on hills I've had problems clicking in to road pedals. these can be pedaled w/o clicking in, or other than bike shoes. be sure to set them loose at first to get used to them. Also don't be tempted to buy the cheaper brands stick with Shimano.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I'm actually able to stay locked in, track stand on the road with my clipless Look Keos, so it's not a worried about falling thing so much.

I grew up MTN biking with toe clips, and we used to just keep our foot a bit out or sometimes underneath when we were on a sketchy edge or downhill, slippery rocks etc. Later when we used clipless, there used to be old Shimanos that had a good toothy edge and the locking mechanism in the middle, but they don't seem to make them anymore (except Ritchey looks like they still do).

When I tried the eggs beaters a few times I realized i really like to balance on a large flatter platform, and they were too slippery when wet.

So I think I'll give them a try.
Old 02-18-2011, 06:15 AM   #19025
bikeboy1
2010 690 Enduro

Oddometer: 2
I have a set of Time ATAC on the cross bike which I like a little better then the SPDs. I grew up on the SPDs so I really dont know any better. This might be the reason I like the speedplays so much as they are double entry.
bikeboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 06:25 AM   #19026
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,368
I've had Time Atac's on the Mtn Bikes for years now, and they are a good pedal. Double sided entry, and work well in muddy conditions. Even if you can't clip in right away there is enough platform to keep moving.
rbrsddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 07:09 AM   #19027
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Which model ATACs are you guys using?
Old 02-18-2011, 07:35 AM   #19028
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiac View Post
Which model ATACs are you guys using?
I'm using the XS Carbon with the steel axle. Cant justify the Titanium, at almost 300 bucks.
rbrsddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 07:57 AM   #19029
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeboy1 View Post
I have a set of Time ATAC on the cross bike which I like a little better then the SPDs. I grew up on the SPDs so I really dont know any better. This might be the reason I like the speedplays so much as they are double entry.
ATACs when yer racing cross = not as bueno as JRA. Kinda 'spongy' to get out of. Harder when yer brain-hazed from trying to catch that SOB in front of you and you hafta get off and effing RUN?!

On another note:
this AM except some asshole decided I needed to do CP Jumps. CP Jumps = as hard as you can go for 10sec with 50sec off before you do 4 more of the same. Repeat after 10min Effing OUCH!

Sisters of Mercy on Jango.

Yogurt eaten and hunger pangs gone

Warm out

Beer in the shop fridge for later

Life's not bad

M
Old 02-18-2011, 04:09 PM   #19030
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,902
This morning started off with a wonderful birthday mountain bike ride. Turning 39= free. Beating the previous personal best time by 10 minutes= copious sweat. Crashing while trying to unclip due to a cleat screw malfunction in the parking lot when its over= priceless.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 04:39 PM   #19031
elchulopadre
Hairodynamic

Oddometer: 2,997
It's HERE!

elchulopadre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 05:13 PM   #19032
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Oddometer: 1,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchulopadre View Post
It's HERE!

Film at 11?
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor
TheYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 05:15 PM   #19033
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Oddometer: 1,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
ATACs when yer racing cross = not as bueno as JRA. Kinda 'spongy' to get out of. Harder when yer brain-hazed from trying to catch that SOB in front of you and you hafta get off and effing RUN?!

On another note:
this AM except some asshole decided I needed to do CP Jumps. CP Jumps = as hard as you can go for 10sec with 50sec off before you do 4 more of the same. Repeat after 10min Effing OUCH!

Sisters of Mercy on Jango.

Yogurt eaten and hunger pangs gone

Warm out

Beer in the shop fridge for later

Life's not bad

M
It only counts if you Puke up half a lung.
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor
TheYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 05:20 PM   #19034
jake28
Riding to the horizon.

Oddometer: 391
First ride of the Spring. Vermont had a freak heat wave today, temps got up to 55. I busted out the cross bike and had a nice 12 mile jaunt. Yay, spring is coming.

jake28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 05:57 PM   #19035
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 4,906
Been racing bicycles for over 30 years, dirt bikes almost that long, been on here for almost 5 years and NOW, I find this thread!

Any of you race, on or off-road?

Been off my bikes for 8 weeks recovering from a lumbar fusion. My buddies busted my balls for 53 miles today and want to do it again tomorrow. Better go eat my Wheaties!!!

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: