Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 502 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 02-20-2011, 06:17 AM   #18931
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post
That's what happens when your mechanic skimps on the tire glue!!
I'm not so sure about that. I didn't see any tire being flung around. Looks kinda like he mebbe got bumped up high? His wheel was turned left and he was started down.

...but yeah... track crashes tend to be spectacular.

M
Old 02-20-2011, 07:51 AM   #18932
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
I'm not so sure about that. I didn't see any tire being flung around. Looks kinda like he mebbe got bumped up high? His wheel was turned left and he was started down.

...but yeah... track crashes tend to be spectacular.

M
It is hard to tell what caused it but the guy in orange caused the crash and his tire was off of the rim in the end.

Edit: I watched it a couple times and you can see the tire coming off the rim causing him to go down.
trailer Rails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 12:45 PM   #18933
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 5,309
33 seconds on the video shows 1/2 the tire unglued, 38 seconds shows the what looks like the tire rolling off the rim and washing the front tire.

The speeds and g-forces generated on those tracks by the pros really tax the glue. The nice thing about tubulars, once flatted, if glued properly, won't come off the rime lake a clincher. I check my race wheels before every race and try to refresh the glue every spring.

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 12:53 PM   #18934
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Trailer Rails, You ever ride the Washington Blvd bike oval? I did one of the Friday night track events there and 3 or 4 TT's.

There's also a group of guys down your way with their own DS club

Old 02-20-2011, 03:18 PM   #18935
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Trailer Rails, You ever ride the Washington Blvd bike oval? I did one of the Friday night track events there and 3 or 4 TT's.

There's also a group of guys down your way with their own DS club
Yea, I have ridden it a few times. It is a nice place to shut the brain off and do a bunch of laps. It is about mile from my house. it does get boring quick though. I quit racing before they put it in, they used to hold the crit races at the zoo around the corner. It was a lot more exciting, turns 3 and 4 were 90 deg turns, so in the last few laps it would get pretty exciting. It allowed the good bike handlers a bit of an advantage before the last straight.
Old 02-20-2011, 03:47 PM   #18936
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailer Rails View Post
Yea, I have ridden it a few times. It is a nice place to shut the brain off and do a bunch of laps.
I know, I did a 50 lap, 25 mile TT there once. Felt like I was living a re-run!

Old 02-20-2011, 03:57 PM   #18937
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I know, I did a 50 lap, 25 mile TT there once. Felt like I was living a re-run!
I think the most I have ever done is about 20 miles. Going on a day when there are a few other people makes it entertaining.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:39 AM   #18938
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

So the 'mechanic' for the local event center comes in with a taco-ed rear wheel a while back.

I need 2 new ones...

K. $30 ea

Wheels come in in their nifty QBP boxes. 'Mechanic' comes in, pays, takes em back.

Today he comes back aggravated. These aren't the right wheels.

Ummm k. They're coaster brakes wheels...

The rims are too thin.

Huh?!

Yeah, the rims are too thin. People are gonna get hurt riding these.

(me examining the wheel) Its a double wall rim. It'll be fine. Its actually a better rim than the one that was on there.

I don't care. They don't match. These tires are too big for these little rims.

Ummm these are mtn bike rims. They'll fit tires wider than those (pointing at tires on the old wheel in his hand)

Its not safe. Get me these wheels. I brought it in so you could get the number off it and order the right stuff.

(me thinking QBP only has one coaster brake wheel... and looking at J&B's catalog)

Can you get me the right wheel?

Maybe. They don't list the rim in this list.

I brought you the wheel. Write the number down and order it.

Ummmm... I'll try but they don't list the rim on these wheels.

See right here. Write this down and just order me the right wheel.

In my professional opinion this wheel is a better wheel than the one you have in your hand and will work better than the one that was on there.

I don't care. Order me the right wheel.

All righty then! I'll get one ordered.

Gaaaaa effing idiots! What part about BETTER THAN WHAT'S ON THERE don't you understand?! Now, not matching I can understand, but that wasn't one of the criteria mentioned when you ordered the wheels in the first place. You said replacement wheel. I got you something better but you STILL don't understand and want inferior stuff?

Okey dokey then. You want it, you'll get it. ...at a marked up price for the PITA factor!

#$%#$^&$%^%$ stupid people Gaaa! Its like arguing with a brick wall. Gets you nowhere and your head hurts afterwards!

M
Old 02-21-2011, 09:49 AM   #18939
Gaston Gagne
Past Easy

Oddometer: 2,083
Quote:
Gaaaaa effing idiots! What part about BETTER THAN WHAT'S ON THERE don't you understand?! Now, not matching I can understand, but that wasn't one of the criteria mentioned when you ordered the wheels in the first place. You said replacement wheel. I got you something better but you STILL don't understand and want inferior stuff?

Okey dokey then. You want it, you'll get it. ...at a marked up price for the PITA factor!

#$%#$^&$%^%$ stupid people Gaaa! Its like arguing with a brick wall. Gets you nowhere and your head hurts afterwards!

M
Sorry for your frustration. Clients can be a pain.

No offense to you or your shop. Bike shops especially have a credibility problem. I've gotten hosed numerous times at bike shops, moto and velo, accepting what's in stock vs what I wanted. I will gladly trade my $$ for an expert opinion directed at the quality of my ride. It's what I expect. Often the expert opinion has been guided more by having enough cash on hand to pay the UPS COD bill that afternoon than my happiness.

I sometimes wonder what it would be like to go back to coaster brakes only. We rode a million miles on them.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:23 AM   #18940
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 5,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaston Gagne View Post
I sometimes wonder what it would be like to go back to coaster brakes only. We rode a million miles on them.
Everything else retro from cycling's dark ages (rigid forks, single speeds, taint buster saddles, etc.)have made a comeback, so why not? Most of us learned how to back it in, and lay'er down as children with coaster brakes. All the kids in the neighborhood had flat spotted rear tires. I want my banana seat, top tube shifter, and some apes.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 11:14 AM   #18941
Gaston Gagne
Past Easy

Oddometer: 2,083
OK, you pushed the button on the wayback machine. The day that we discovered that we could produce smoke with a bicycle tire on fresh pavement sealer. Cue the lights from above and chorus of angels. I can remember it with all the clarity of daylight sight. My parents and the cemetery custodians were not as impressed.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:11 PM   #18942
azcycle
Chihuahua Wrangler

Oddometer: 704
Quote:
So the 'mechanic' for the local event center comes in with a taco-ed rear wheel a while back.

I need 2 new ones...

K. $30 ea

Wheels come in in their nifty QBP boxes. 'Mechanic' comes in, pays, takes em back.

The rims are too thin.

Huh?!

(me examining the wheel) Its a double wall rim. It'll be fine. Its actually a better rim than the one that was on there.

Ummm these are mtn bike rims. They'll fit tires wider than those (pointing at tires on the old wheel in his hand)

Its not safe. Get me these wheels. I brought it in so you could get the number off it and order the right stuff.

(me thinking QBP only has one coaster brake wheel... and looking at J&B's catalog)

In my professional opinion this wheel is a better wheel than the one you have in your hand and will work better than the one that was on there.

M
Better make sure it's the right color.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:32 PM   #18943
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Oddometer: 1,112
Quote:

I need 2 new ones...

K. $30 ea

The rims are too thin.

Huh?!

M
My wife's got good way of putting it:

It's like teaching a pig to sing,It doesn't do any good ,and it annoys the pig. Isn't it fun dealing with the public.
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor
TheYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 02:48 PM   #18944
jocflier
Dammit, that hurt...

Oddometer: 2,542
How dare you try to provide good customer service.
Old 02-21-2011, 03:18 PM   #18945
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaston Gagne View Post
Sorry for your frustration. Clients can be a pain.

No offense to you or your shop. Bike shops especially have a credibility problem. I've gotten hosed numerous times at bike shops, moto and velo, accepting what's in stock vs what I wanted. I will gladly trade my $$ for an expert opinion directed at the quality of my ride. It's what I expect. Often the expert opinion has been guided more by having enough cash on hand to pay the UPS COD bill that afternoon than my happiness.

I special ordered these for him. I didn't have anything remotely resembling a coaster brake rear wheel in stock. Now I gotta figger out if I can send these back.

@ Jocflier: I feel like I failed at this one. I couldn't get him to see past 'its too thin' to get to where he'd listen to me. If I'd gotten to where he'd listen to me, we wouldn't have had to reorder more wheels, he'd be busy at his shop, etc. I felt like sayin 'so what if it don't match. Its not like people are gonna refuse to ride it because the rims don't match!'

Did 5 tune ups today. That's all of em for the week. Rain today with snow (ugh) forecast = no more casual cyclists out riding.

M

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: