Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2011, 06:27 AM   #16
Martian OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,105
I read through your "modification" story on your bike. I don't plan on going *nearly* as far as you did.

I am curious as to why you think the 19" rim won't satisfy me. I'm looking at it as a compromise between the ultimate 21" and the less than optimal 18" rim. Before I undertake the changeover, it'd be nice to hear your thoughts.

Removing the chrome cover from the muffler does have a profound effect on the "look" of the muffler. If the low fender isn't satisfactory or won't work and I do wind up with the high fender, I'll follow your lead on this.

As with any project of this nature, everything is a compromise. One of my main parameters is to maintain, as close as possible, the ergonomics of the 100R. As it sits, the bike fits me extremely well. The goal is to have a bike that will handle the unpaved roads, which I enjoy riding, but still be able to comfortably cruise on the pavement when its time to get home.

Thanks for your input.
'93 R100GSPD(sold)
http://frommars.smugmug.com
Martian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 02:12 PM   #17
StephenB
G(/)S ... what else!

Oddometer: 2,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martian View Post
I am curious as to why you think the 19" rim won't satisfy me. I'm looking at it as a compromise between the ultimate 21" and the less than optimal 18" rim. Before I undertake the changeover, it'd be nice to hear your thoughts.
There are tire height variations (part of the aspect ratio of the tire) but also design and manufacturing tolerances to consider. Also, knobbies are larger in diameter than the size promises. Tires can vary much. TKC80 rear wheels for example: some can mount them right away, others need to cut knobs ... for the same tire size.

Who or what gave you the impression that 19" is a "regular" DS front wheel size? Why would an 18" front wheel be less than optimal? With respect to what?

I am seeing plenty of excellent 18" dual sport tires (Dunlop D606, TKC80, Metzeler Sahara 3, just to name a few), and fewer good 19". Just go through the dual sport tire selection at SWmototires and you'll see what I mean. Not even Kenda offers a 19" front wheel (just to go to the other side of the tire quality spectrum).
I just don't think that you gain much if anything going from a 18" to a 19" front wheel.

Some of the above is fact, some is fiction, some is my personal imagination and some is just simple truth. [me]

... i'm not touring around the world, but neither are most of the guys i see running overloaded spam cans ... [bmwblake]

Stephen Bottcher
Ontario, Canada

'72 R75/5 The Blues

www.stephenbottcher.net
StephenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 05:02 PM   #18
Martian OP
Beastly Adventurer

Stephen, have you had any problem with running a rear tire on the front by mounting it backwards?
'93 R100GSPD(sold)
Old 02-11-2011, 06:00 PM   #19
StephenB
G(/)S ... what else!

Quote:
Stephen, have you had any problem with running a rear tire on the front by mounting it backwards?
Never ran a rear tire on the front backwards.

Some of the above is fact, some is fiction, some is my personal imagination and some is just simple truth. [me]

... i'm not touring around the world, but neither are most of the guys i see running overloaded spam cans ... [bmwblake]

Stephen Bottcher
Ontario, Canada

'72 R75/5 The Blues

www.stephenbottcher.net
Old 02-11-2011, 09:05 PM   #20
Martian OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenB View Post
Never ran a rear tire on the front backwards.
I asked because many of the tires you mentioned are listed as "rear" tires. I've never used a rear on the front, either, but I have read that that is what a lot of R100R riders do. The 19" rim may not have the front tire selection that's available for the 21" rim, but it does have a couple, like a Metzler Tourance and Mefo's Explorer. The F650GS uses a 19" front tire as does the R1100GS. My thinking is being able to get a designated front tire has to be an advantage to running the 19" rim.
'93 R100GSPD(sold)
Old 02-12-2011, 06:21 AM   #21
StephenB
G(/)S ... what else!

You're right, my bad, what was I looking at? The fact remains you won't find a lot of 19" either. Let's face it: regular DS front tire size is 21"! It's different with street tires ... obviously!

Stephen Bottcher
Ontario, Canada

'72 R75/5 The Blues

www.stephenbottcher.net
Old 02-12-2011, 07:07 AM   #22
Martian OP
Beastly Adventurer

You're right.......there aren't many 19" DS tires, but I'm hoping that will change since so many of the newer bikes are using the 19" front tire. If I ever hit the lottery, I'll go with the 21" rim and shorten the tubes, etc. I'd love to have that setup! It should make the bike really stable.
'93 R100GSPD(sold)
Old 02-12-2011, 07:14 AM   #23
StephenB
G(/)S ... what else!

Quote:
I'll go with the 21" rim and shorten the tubes, etc. I'd love to have that setup! It should make the bike really stable.
Well, now you're dipping into front end geometry, something I have not heavily ventured into. 2-3in tube shortening will change rake and trail ... is all I know.

Stephen Bottcher
Ontario, Canada

'72 R75/5 The Blues

www.stephenbottcher.net
Old 02-12-2011, 07:39 AM   #24
Martian OP
Beastly Adventurer

It'll be awhile before I can "invest" in a major front end rework. Winning the lottery is probably not going to happen; especially since I don't play it! I am not knowledgable about front end geometry, either, but I'll bet there are lots of people on here that would advise us if we ever decided to go nuts!

I do appreciate all of your input.
'93 R100GSPD(sold)
Old 02-12-2011, 08:55 AM   #25
StephenB
G(/)S ... what else!

I avoided major front end work and went with the stock Marzocchi GS fork with RaceTech GoldValve. To compensate for the longer travel/length upfront, I extend the swingarm moderately by 1.25" and used a fully adjustable Ohlins with a slightly increased spring rate to account for the swingarm extension. That took care of maintaining GS front end geometry. It improves the handling of a G/S significantly.

It's all I personally require from a suspension system (when comparing available technology vs cost vs my riding abilities/style).

Stephen Bottcher
Ontario, Canada

'72 R75/5 The Blues

www.stephenbottcher.net
Old 02-17-2011, 05:44 PM   #26
Martian OP
Beastly Adventurer

I received the fork brace and low fender today. The standard mounting holes for the brace do not line up on my forks, but it was a simple matter to drill four holes that do. The fender fits like a glove and looks good. I have "modified" the existing brake line to get it basically into position, but I need to fine tune that. The fender comes with one hole on the right side for the GS brakeline; I added a matching one on the left side for the crossover line. More than likely, I'll get a new line made once the final shape is determined. The camera was at home; so no pics today. I'll get some tomorrow. There is now 1 1/2" of clearance over the tire and 3/4" clearance on the sides.

When I got home, there was a big package waiting for me. It was the 19" GS wheel complete with tire. I'll be able to get some measurements from it before I decide to undertake the changeout with mine.
'93 R100GSPD(sold)
Old 02-20-2011, 01:37 PM   #27
Martian OP
Beastly Adventurer

I got everything back together yesterday, but once again, forgot the camera. This morning I took these before and during a quick test ride.

There is about 1 1/2" of clearance between the top of the tire and the new fork brace. The new fender came with a hole for the brakeline on the right side, but to connect the crossover brake pipe, I had to make another hole on the left.

The line had to be bent straight, but had enough length to just barely make it. There is about 1/16" between the line and the fender.

So, with the new fender installed and the brakes bled, it was time to go for a ride.

I was concerned the brake line would rub on the fender, but it didn't. Everything worked well. This next week, I'm going to lace the 19" rim onto my hub. We'll see how that goes.
'93 R100GSPD(sold)