User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2011, 04:25 PM   #1
Jenyus OP
Ain't tu brite

Oddometer: 15
Glaser Fairing - Keep or Sell?

I bought a 1974 R75/5 that had a Glaser Fairing. The highway bar that the fairing mounts to is very rusty and never got around to having it re-chromed. I think the white color is just plain fugly. So I removed the fairing and saddlebags, cleaned it up, and got it running. The previous owner swears the fairing is worth more than the bike itself. Is it so rare that I should hang onto it or sell it at the first opportunity? Thanks for any thoughts.
Attached Images

Jenyus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 04:33 PM   #2
pbarmy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,818
Its very cool,if you dont need the dough,I'd hang on to it!
pbarmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 06:31 PM   #3
zoo mob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 328
I love that fairing. If it were me, I'd keep it. Whatever you do, just think it through, you won't find another anytime soon if you get rid of it.
zoo mob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 06:51 PM   #4
Carl

Oddometer: 754
hmmm...

...I go through a fairly decent quantity of Gläser fairings and also still use them. That model fairing and how it is designed seems peculiar. Is their a tag on the top of the body directly behind the screen? It should have the model type/number. Does its mounting system replace the stock damper parts?

As for its value, whatever you can get for it! I have sellers try to get $1500 and up for what they have (often a junk example) and others that will take whatever I'll offer plus shipping. They can be monsters to carton and ship damage free and also time-consuming to install. Poor suspension, bummer tyres, road rain grooves, damp weather and trying to pass a dual trailer semi at interstate speed w/ a Gläser is not for the novice rider.

I have some Glaser pics at: http://www.flyingtpot.com/glaser%20fairings.htm I also have a batch of Glaser literature that wil be scanned and posted.

Carl

Carl screwed with this post 02-20-2011 at 07:29 PM
Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 07:25 PM   #5
zoo mob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 328
Well, maybe you will find another one. I still think they look cool.
zoo mob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 07:34 PM   #6
Carl

Oddometer: 754
Also, if you could check on one more item, The black trim molding is originally extensively riveted onto the edge. Is it on your fairing? Or is it adhesive bonded to the body? It seems like that fairing was modified so more bars/controls clearance to the body was made available.

Carl

Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 09:51 PM   #7
darmst6829
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenyus View Post
I bought a 1974 R75/5 that had a Glaser Fairing. The highway bar that the fairing mounts to is very rusty and never got around to having it re-chromed. I think the white color is just plain fugly. So I removed the fairing and saddlebags, cleaned it up, and got it running. The previous owner swears the fairing is worth more than the bike itself. Is it so rare that I should hang onto it or sell it at the first opportunity? Thanks for any thoughts.
I put 70,000 mile behind one of those fairnings. Only negative is the fairing tends to exagerate engine noise. Ear plugs are mandatory.

Dave
darmst6829 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 10:13 PM   #8
Jenyus OP
Ain't tu brite

Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl View Post
Also, if you could check on one more item, The black trim molding is originally extensively riveted onto the edge. Is it on your fairing? Or is it adhesive bonded to the body? It seems like that fairing was modified so more bars/controls clearance to the body was made available.

Carl
Yes, it is riveted. It's one of those things, do you update or try and leave original. The previous owner who bought it in 1975 says it came off the showroon floor that way. And yes the fairing has mounts to the the steering damper. I will check the tag tomorrow. Thanks.
Jenyus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 07:00 AM   #9
bikerfish
flyfishandride

Oddometer: 1,428
if it were mine, I'd have it painted and pinstriped to match the bike, be a very good looking motorcycle. maybe a set of color matched wixom bags as well.
then ride the hell out of it!
bikerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 11:07 AM   #10
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,313
Unless you're going to do extensive touring on the bike, why?

Seems to be a lot of negatives attached, not the least of which is it's hiding an attractive bike.

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 02:34 PM   #11
Hawk Medicine
Coyote's Brother

Oddometer: 3,303
If I were you I wouldn't sell that fairing.

You may not realize it but period fairings in good condition for /5 Airheads have become pretty rare and increasingly desirable over the last 20 years.

Since you have all of the correct hardware and the fairing is a nice one, if the bike was mine I'd remove the fairing, service/restore the bike, have the fairing painted and pin striped to match and then either reinstall the fairing or store it carefully.

OTOH, if you really don't like the looks of the fairing you'll never be happy with it on your bike, so sell it to someone who'll appreciate it. Only problem is you'll probably never find another one that nice for sale.

Hate rots the pocket that carries it.
Hawk Medicine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 03:29 PM   #12
blaine.hale
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,926
I think it looks down right neat and makes the bike look completely unique. I'd buy another toaster to have bare before selling that fairing
1969 Bultaco Bandido MK2
2013 Husqvarna Terra TR650
blaine.hale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 04:43 PM   #13
Mr. Vintage
Family Dude

Oddometer: 842
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerfish View Post
if it were mine, I'd have it painted and pinstriped to match the bike, be a very good looking motorcycle. maybe a set of color matched wixom bags as well.
then ride the hell out of it!

+1, I like it.