User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2011, 05:44 PM   #1
PiffleMaster OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,833
Burgman 650 - Stebel installation

My wife was unhappy with the anemic horn on her 2010 Burgman Exec, so I offered to replace it with a Stebel Nautilus Compact, which produces a monstrous 139 dB. I've used this same horn on a KLR and it is trouble free when mounted vertically away from water ingress and is installed with a relay using heavy wire for the supply and ground circuit.
The stock horn button is used to trigger the relay, so full battery voltage can be used by the horn.

After much searching for an unobtrusive place to mount it on the Burgman, I determined that with a bit of work it would fit in the space between the headlights and still retain the proper vertical orientation whilst being protected from the elements. The sound it produces is free to exit the area around the front wheel, so it is not muffled as in some other locations.

The area between the headlights had some plastic flashing (shown cut off below) that had to be removed, but it was a simple job with a dremel - and in no way affects the integrity or functionality of the headlights or fairing. Enough of the flashing was left to attach the horn with zip-ties.
Beads of black silicone will be added to further reinforce the installation.

The assembly was test fit on the bike and was interference free. Last step is to install the relay and wiring and button it up, but those details are common so I won't bother posting pics.

Edit: Ok, I did up the wiring today, so I'll post a few pics of where I tied in etc...

Tapped into the 20 amp windshield circuit (unlikely you'll be hitting the horn at the same time as adjusting the windshield)...

Cheers, Brian

PiffleMaster screwed with this post 02-14-2011 at 04:37 PM
PiffleMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 01:06 PM   #2
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,880
139 dB? I've GOT to have one myself!
btcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 06:13 PM   #3
D0N
Banned

Oddometer: 280
Nice job! I have the same horn on my burgman 650. it's awesome.
D0N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 09:39 PM   #4
MarkH67
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
I have the same horn in very close to the same place on my Burgman 400 - I love that thing! You lose the ability to give a polite beep to a motorist not paying attention when the traffic lights go green, but you gain the ability to go "OIYYYYY!!!!!! WATCH IT!!!!!!" to the motorists that start changing lanes when you are beside them. In comparison most standard horns are a complete joke.
MarkH67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 12:16 AM   #5
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,447
http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...tilus-compact/

there seem to be lots of report of them failing. Nice horn but web bike world say not that dependable. quote: Apparently the Nautilus uses some type of internal compressor that powers the horns, and it is very prone to failure -- especially if it gets wet. When the Nautilus horns fail, all that's left is a flatulent 77 dB croak, which is useless for our purposes.
Old 02-21-2011, 03:20 PM   #6
D0N
Banned

Oddometer: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkH67 View Post
"OIYYYYY!!!!!! WATCH IT!!!!!!" to the motorists that start changing lanes when you are beside them.

Ok this was probably "wrong" of me to do but... last summer I was riding in the middle lane of a 3 lane highway. There was no other traffic around. I was slowly overtaking a ford explorer SUV that was in the right lane.

As I got about to his rear bumper, I see the driver start to get ready to make a lane change to the middle lane where I am. He doesn't need to change because there's no upcoming exits and no traffic. He just wants to be in the middle lane I guess.

Now, I could have avoided this situation by slowing down, speeding up or moving to the left lane. But... I'm tired of chuckle-head cage drivers not paying attention to bikers and scooterists. I had to teach him a lesson.

The left lane beside me was wide open so I had an easy escape route when this bozo starts to come into my lane. He didn't even look left or he would have seen me right beside him and he didn't signal. Had I not been paying attention, he would have surely hit me.

It's a slow lazy lane change. No hurry on his part. So I wait him out, I move left in my middle lane a little more as he moves into my lane.

My left thumb is hovering over the horn button just waiting for the exact right time to blast the stebel and wake this turkey up.

I finally decide he's close enough to me and I lay on the horn! I could have reached out and touch his SUV.

It was the funniest reaction I have ever witnessed! His head jerks left & he finally sees me. His eyes are as big as saucers! He must have really thought he was going to hit me because he yanked his streering wheel hard to the right! We're going roughly 70 mph! His SUV gets all squirelly and he nearly looses control as he gets back into the right lane.

I laughed and laughed at his reaction and felt good knowing that he will probably look before changing lanes in the future.

The stebel horn rules. You will get noticed. It's f'ing loud!

As for the stebel being unreliable... mine has been in service on my 2005 burgman 650 for 4+ years without any problems. It's the most worthwhile mod I've done on my scooter. I wouldn't let a magazine review scare you away from a stebel horn.

D0N screwed with this post 02-21-2011 at 03:29 PM
D0N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 05:57 PM   #7
MarkH67
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by D0N View Post
I laughed and laughed at his reaction and felt good knowing that he will probably look before changing lanes in the future.
I've been in a similar situation - boy did the other vehicle move back into their lane quickly! I also could have just gotten out of the way, but then the other driver wouldn't have learnt anything.
I've also been in a situation where I had to brake to avoid being driven into, my horn was too feeble and the other driver didn't appear to notice - after that I bought the Stebel.
MarkH67 is offline   Reply With Quote