Specialks.net BMW K75 Custom

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by madisonreid, Feb 4, 2011.

1. madisonreid

madisonreid Long timer

Oddometer:
  2. madisonreid

madisonreid Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Obviuosly enjoyed

[​IMG]
  3. madisonreid

madisonreid Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  4. madisonreid

madisonreid Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

owner / photographer unknown

[​IMG]
  5. duck

duck Banned

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Photographer: Me :D
  6. duck

duck Banned

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  7. madisonreid

madisonreid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pichler fairing....very nice. Love the Grateful Dead color theme detail. What, no Traube ?
  8. madisonreid

madisonreid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Must say...you have enjoyed, modified and improved all that is the K...OUTSTANDING:D

Spoke with Larry over the weekend. Finally getting parts needed to start build.
  9. duck

duck Banned

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

I noticed that Larry put K1100 peg plates on that bike. I like that. I'm going to do the same thing to my K75.

[​IMG]
  10. madisonreid

madisonreid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Duck, does that plate serve a specific fiction?
  11. duck

duck Banned

Oddometer:
    It keeps yer feet from dragging on the ground.

Seriously though, not much different from the K75/K100 ones except that they're mounted to a bracket that straddles the battery mounting rubber bushings. They're also stepped out a bit in the rear so that the right one clears the hump in the paralever swing arm.
  12. madisonreid

madisonreid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Duck, which k was your favorite? You've played with quite a few over the years.
  13. duck

duck Banned

Oddometer:
    First off, not that they're bad bikes, but you can rule out any K100. From my perspective, you either go for the smoothness of a K75 or get a K1100 since they've got 10 more hp than a K100, a paralever final drive and MUCH better brakes.

K75s:

Naked: Too much chest blast at speed but good for an around town bike.

K75C: A good trade-off between the adding minimal weight of the C fairing and the protection it gives but could have a slightly taller windscreen. (I'm 6-2.) I wish somebody like Parabellum or Cee Bailey would make a taller windscreen for them - of course that will never happen though.

K75S: Definitely the best looking K75 but the cluster bounces around too much and, given the plastic bracket, the whole frigging fairing will bounce around if you hit rough stuff. To get decent protection you need to get an Aeroflow windscreen which aren't near as attractive as the stock one.

K75RT: I loved mine and rode it all over. The thing it has over the K1100LT is that the 93 and earlier ones with the fixed windscreen will keep you bone dry as long you stay above 30 or 40. The electric windscreen on the 94/95 K75RT and K1100LTs let a few drops of rain in that sneak through the hole in the bottom. Also, the K75RT fairing lowers provide protection for your feet. The K1100LT lowers don't go as far down and without heated insoles or socks your toes can get pretty cold. If I needed an all-weather commuter it would be a K75RT.

Mine had a factory tall windscreen and was awesome for riding with a half helmet or no helmet. (Yeah, I REALLY like to ride without a helmet. Sue me.)

I don't think any K75 has enough juice for riding 2-up though lots of people have done it.

I really did enjoy riding that one with the Pichler fairing. It was unique and also did well without a helmet. That day I took it over Beartooth Pass followed the next day by Lolo Pass were some memorable days of riding.

K1100LT: When I test rode my K1100LT, my first reaction was "Holy crap, this is like my K75RT only it's got some real power and real brakes." With the right seat (it's got a Russell for a tall person on it now) I could ride this baby forever and never get tired of it. Again, an awesome bike for riding without a helmet.

K1100RS: After I bought the K1100LT and joined the K11OG forum I started lusting for a red K1100RS. Fortunately, a Mystic Red one got dropped in my lap for a good price a couple of years later and if I could only have one bike then that would be it. (I keep the LT though because if I'm heading east to no helmet land then I'll take that.)

Honorable mention: K100RS4V. Almost a K1100RS and a great bike. I bought three of those as parts bikes. Ended up looting all of the good parts from them and building myself a good one. Really enjoyed riding that one.

[​IMG]

K1: I know some people really like these but they do absolutely nothing for me. The styling is like an experiment gone wrong, very wrong. My preference is touring and all you can carry on a K1 (a.k.a. K-9) is an extra pair of gloves and a couple of beers. Not to mention that they have the turning radius of a semi so U-turns are out of the question.

But hey, all bikes are good. From Harleys to Nighthawks to Busas. If Germany hadn't lost WWI and started making bikes I'd still be riding something. Not sure what though.
  14. A. T. T-W

A. T. T-W Can't be bothered.

Oddometer:
    Styling apart and it looks the way it does for a reason, with the soft luggage-set it is easily capable of carrying enough for one-up travel. If you live somewhere with a civilised approach to speed and the intent is to get to a destination as opposed to bimbling along looking at the scenery, they make good sense.
  15. madisonreid

madisonreid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Duck, appreciate the thorough summary essay. While some may pause at what you didn't like, riding anything is far superior to riding nothing. I'm down in Arizona watching riders without helmets enjoying themselves. I'm sure if Washington state didn't require helmets......:evil
  16. duck

duck Banned

Oddometer:
    Helmet laws have an odd history in Washington. The original helmet law was repealed by the legislature the same year they enacted the first seat belt law. Of course the safety Nazis would have none of that so a few years later they snuck it back in as a rider on some head injury bill.:norton
  17. duck

duck Banned

Oddometer:
    A K100RS4V is pretty much the same bike and just as fast but with a seat that can ride 2-up, a decent turning radius and the ability to run system cases and a top case. Oh, and the front fender doesn't break every 5,000 miles like it does on a K1. (OK, the 5,000 mile thing is a bit of an exaggeration but the K1's front fender WILL break eventually because it's a crappy design.)

Also, because they don't share any body parts with the other Ks, finding cosmetic parts for them can be a challenge.

A K100RS4V is for riding, a K1 is for posing.

(Just my .02)
  18. madisonreid

madisonreid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Spoke with Larry last night. He is starting to put the k75 together this weekend
    Giving me option of 17" or 18" in the rear
    leaning toward 18
    any thoughts?
  19. A. T. T-W

A. T. T-W Can't be bothered.

Oddometer:
    KRS-16v fairing is not a patch on the K1 for aerodynamics providing the rider with excellent protection, reducing drag, improving both top speed and MPG. K1 pillion seat is as good as the RS, I wasn't interested in system panniers and the front fender never broke on mine.

Fixed.
  20. duck

duck Banned

Oddometer:
    Both bikes do 0-100kph in 3.9 seconds according to the factory specs. Top speed of a K1 is 149 mph. Top speed of a K100RS4V is 144. Wow, that's like a whopping 3% or so. I'll give up the top end 5 mph for not having to ride an eyesore. It also probably gives you what? Another half mile per gallon? Woohoo!

I've ridden lots of 12-14 hour back to back days on RS faired bikes and found it perfectly comfortable.