User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2011, 01:59 PM   #1
nedc OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Elite 150 progress report

Well, i couldn't find my old thread from a couple of months ago to update...
anyway, here's the story and the latest progress. Found 86 150D in garage where it had not seen the light of day since 1999. All there, pretty good shape, spark plug threads messed up. Bought it for $200, further messed up the spark plug hole in my haste and found a good used head on ebay for $75. Replaced head after having a bitch of a time getting the timing chain on the crank sprocket. Cleaned up the ports a little with my dremel also. Gas tank was a mess as you can imagine. Cleaned, flushed, etched and POR liner. Carb was gummed up too of course. Cleaned everything up, changed oil, added Uni filter, bought battery and fired it up! Whoo hoo- you know the feeling of bringing one back from the dead.

The vacuum petcock would not shut off reliably so i did what i have done to almost every bike I have ever owned with a vacuum petcock- i added a shutoff valve made for lawnmowers. Had to cut a hole in the center panel but i think it looks OK.

Here's some 'glamour' shots

And here are my other small toys:
a C70 passport (I added a 20mm Mikuni and had to add the same shutoff valve done many years ago)

and a 1988 Yamaha DT50 water cooled dirt bike I bought for $125-
it needed a top end job and fenders. Now it's a fun little play bike

One more thing i did on the Elite. I was having cold start issues. Took out the bystarter and hooked it up to 12V and saw that it seemed to do what it is supposed to do (extend). So I put a thin washer under it to shim it up just a little and that seemed to do the trick. So far cold starts are good. Also, I have read that it takes 10 minutes or so for these things to fully extend, but mine only takes a couple of minutes, which should be long enough for the engine to warm up enough to not need it anyway.

So..., wanted to say thanks for the help here and say that I enjoy all the posts. Safe scootering everyone!
nedc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 02:28 PM   #2
hexnut
just cruising

Oddometer: 1,349
Good job. I looked for one of those a while back and did not find one. They are great scooters. I ended up getting a Kymco People 150.

hexnuts...a curse put on your balls by a mean gypsy
3/5 Cav, C Troop, BlackKnights, Vietnam 1969
hexnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 03:20 PM   #3
nedc OP
Adventurer

Thanks. I forgot to mention that it has 10,000 miles on it and seems to cruise pretty easily at 55- i got it up to 59 and i weigh 200 lbs. I'm waiting on a new belt, because this one screeches on takeoff and is at least 12 yrs. old. I may look at the rollers when I do the belt. One more thing- is it normal to vibrate quite a bit at idle? It's smooth once under way, so i guess that's the nature of a single cylinder. Do the rubber engine hanger bushings get soft or ever need replacing?
Old 02-26-2011, 08:42 PM   #4
GypsyWriter
Sarah

Oddometer: 1,410
Did you mean this thread?

I love the older Passports, they're sharp little bikes. I'd actually shell out the money for the Sym Symba (if I had the money to shell out) just because of the looks.

The little white wicker basket has me grinning like a loon though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FotoTEX View Post
Life is dangerous. Not doing what you love makes life even more dangerous...
GypsyWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 08:50 PM   #5
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,880
Nice job! The Elites are great bikes once you get all the small issues sorted out.

Yes, the Elite should cruise just fine at 55 MPH, although the RPMs will be a little high. A properly running Elite 150 should get to 65 MPH with a full tuck on a flat surface. Add some wind at your back and 69-70 MPH isn't out of the question. I also weigh somewhere around 200 pounds and I have seen 70 MPH on my GPS with a tailwind and a full tuck.

But once you pass 55 MPH, its gonna take a long time to get anything more, but give it time and you should see 65+ MPH.
btcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 06:08 AM   #6
nedc OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahp View Post
Did you mean this thread?

The little white wicker basket has me grinning like a loon though.
Yes, that thread. Haha, the basket makes me grin too. It used to be on one of my daughter's bikes from when she was little (she's 22 now) and I just needed a way to carry things, so it was repurposed. I also have a milk crate on the back. The C70 is my 'pack mule'!