ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-25-2011, 09:14 AM   #1186
motomark39
I reckon so
 
motomark39's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Odenville, Alabama
Oddometer: 1,062
if you need a Shorai battery

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=663274
__________________
2013 HusabergTE300
2013 KTM 350EXC
motomark39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 06:52 PM   #1187
mookymoo
Mookish Mook
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Either UK or Australia ...
Oddometer: 4,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by osteo View Post
+1 well said C.D.

D

p.s. - oh, and they like to be dirty!!

Hey, how is your ODO mounted?
mookymoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 07:06 PM   #1188
osteo
Motion is Life
 
osteo's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: somewhere in Ontario, Canada
Oddometer: 1,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by mookymoo View Post
Hey, how is your ODO mounted?
This is the closest pic I have without going outside in the -5C for you!

In this pic I have it tie wrapped to my RallyRisers, which actually worked fine.



But my machinest buddy wanted something a bit more robust so he tapped and threaded into the horizontal bar of the Rally Riser I mounted it there with the bottom 2 holes under the computer.

This pic shows the bottom 2 holes that the computer normally uses to to that bracket, and I used spacers so that it stayed straight otherwise it would angle forward once the bars are in place. It is also about 1cm higher than what you see in the pic below.



If you would like more specific pic's let me know and I'll shoot them tomorrow when it is light outside.

D
__________________
"If it is small enough to eat in a single meal, don't worry about it, hit it!. If it is too large to eat in one sitting, get the hell away from it!" Jack Splash commenting on animals on the trail.

Rally Connex Adventures
Off-Road Adventures
Make It Stick Media

Adventure Has No Destination

08' KTM 450 EXC - The Half Beast -
04' Yamaha TTR250 (for the wife)
osteo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 07:22 PM   #1189
mookymoo
Mookish Mook
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Either UK or Australia ...
Oddometer: 4,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by osteo View Post
This is the closest pic I have without going outside in the -5C for you!

In this pic I have it tie wrapped to my RallyRisers, which actually worked fine.



But my machinest buddy wanted something a bit more robust so he tapped and threaded into the horizontal bar of the Rally Riser I mounted it there with the bottom 2 holes under the computer.

This pic shows the bottom 2 holes that the computer normally uses to to that bracket, and I used spacers so that it stayed straight otherwise it would angle forward once the bars are in place. It is also about 1cm higher than what you see in the pic below.



If you would like more specific pic's let me know and I'll shoot them tomorrow when it is light outside.

D
Thanks Osteo, thats great.
Its given me an idea how I can raise mine.
I have pretty tall risers. With the risers + PHDS bar clamps, the bars are 3 inches taller than stock... I have to lean right over to see the ODO
mookymoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 08:53 PM   #1190
osteo
Motion is Life
 
osteo's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: somewhere in Ontario, Canada
Oddometer: 1,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by mookymoo View Post
Thanks Osteo, thats great.
Its given me an idea how I can raise mine.
I have pretty tall risers. With the risers + PHDS bar clamps, the bars are 3 inches taller than stock... I have to lean right over to see the ODO
I hear you! originally in the position above the only time I could see the ODO was standing, now I can just see it while seated, so it is perfect. When my buddy tapped that horiz bar one side was off a bit (a bit difficult to tap that smooth round bar) so there was some shimming done, but you can only see it when the headlight is not there.

D
__________________
"If it is small enough to eat in a single meal, don't worry about it, hit it!. If it is too large to eat in one sitting, get the hell away from it!" Jack Splash commenting on animals on the trail.

Rally Connex Adventures
Off-Road Adventures
Make It Stick Media

Adventure Has No Destination

08' KTM 450 EXC - The Half Beast -
04' Yamaha TTR250 (for the wife)
osteo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 04:40 PM   #1191
Gonebiking
Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Courtenay, British Columbia, Canada
Oddometer: 30
Muffler mod?

Just got a 2010 530EXC home and went to do the muffler mod. The parts manual shows the Silencer endcap with a screen and a threaded ring. Is the mod just to remove the screen or does it involve cutting the pipe within the endcap? Thanks for the help.

Ken
Gonebiking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 04:54 PM   #1192
Hodakaguy
NorthWest Adventure Rider
 
Hodakaguy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Eastern WA State
Oddometer: 2,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonebiking View Post
Just got a 2010 530EXC home and went to do the muffler mod. The parts manual shows the Silencer endcap with a screen and a threaded ring. Is the mod just to remove the screen or does it involve cutting the pipe within the endcap? Thanks for the help.

Ken
Ditch the screw on screen on the end, that's just for noise reduction. You need to remove the end cap from the can and cut the tip/restrictor off inside that looks like a washer that's welded on the end. That will open up the exhaust and let it breath like it should.

Hodakaguy
__________________
NV 2012 - In Memory of the Crewmen RR: CLICK HERE
Adventure Is Out There - NV RR: CLICK HERE
Riding Through History - NV RR: CLICK HERE
And Then There Were Four - OR RR: CLICK HERE
My VW Syncro Westy Build Thread: CLICK HERE
Hodakaguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 06:04 PM   #1193
309
Special Purpose
 
309's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Boulder, CO
Oddometer: 5,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodakaguy View Post
Ditch the screw on screen on the end, that's just for noise reduction.

Anyone who has done or is going to do this, send it to me. I'll pay shipping.

Seriously. Just shoot me a PM.
309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 06:12 PM   #1194
Hodakaguy
NorthWest Adventure Rider
 
Hodakaguy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Eastern WA State
Oddometer: 2,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by 309 View Post
Anyone who has done or is going to do this, send it to me. I'll pay shipping.

Seriously. Just shoot me a PM.
Out of curiosity why would you want it installed? It does little for noise and is just one more restriction that you can remove. I might have mine laying around some where...I'll look.

Hodakaguy
__________________
NV 2012 - In Memory of the Crewmen RR: CLICK HERE
Adventure Is Out There - NV RR: CLICK HERE
Riding Through History - NV RR: CLICK HERE
And Then There Were Four - OR RR: CLICK HERE
My VW Syncro Westy Build Thread: CLICK HERE
Hodakaguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 06:17 PM   #1195
309
Special Purpose
 
309's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Boulder, CO
Oddometer: 5,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodakaguy View Post
Out of curiosity why would you want it installed? It does little for noise and is just one more restriction that you can remove. I might have mine laying around some where...I'll look.

Hodakaguy

I find the reduction in sound to be noticeable and can't really feel a difference in power. I like to keep my bike as quiet as possible.

I made the offer because I find it near impossible to keep these things in the muffler though. I've lost two already. Was even thinking of tack welding it on.
309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 06:23 PM   #1196
Hodakaguy
NorthWest Adventure Rider
 
Hodakaguy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Eastern WA State
Oddometer: 2,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by 309 View Post
I find the reduction in sound to be noticeable and can't really feel a difference in power. I like to keep my bike as quiet as possible.

I made the offer because I find it near impossible to keep these things in the muffler though. I've lost two already. Was even thinking of tack welding it on.
I'll dig through my stuff...Mine should be around some where.

Hodakaguy
__________________
NV 2012 - In Memory of the Crewmen RR: CLICK HERE
Adventure Is Out There - NV RR: CLICK HERE
Riding Through History - NV RR: CLICK HERE
And Then There Were Four - OR RR: CLICK HERE
My VW Syncro Westy Build Thread: CLICK HERE
Hodakaguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 11:18 PM   #1197
osteo
Motion is Life
 
osteo's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: somewhere in Ontario, Canada
Oddometer: 1,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by 309 View Post
I find the reduction in sound to be noticeable and can't really feel a difference in power. I like to keep my bike as quiet as possible.

I made the offer because I find it near impossible to keep these things in the muffler though. I've lost two already. Was even thinking of tack welding it on.
I agree, I think that screen is about 2dB worth or reduction, and as I also ride my bike to and from work with most of that ride through a residential area I just don't want the noise - even though it does seem to make a bit of difference with power (at least to my seat of the pants). I have gone through 3 now. The last one I put in the vice, made it a bit oval and scored the threads + heat locktite and it still eventually came out. I'm going to safety wire this last one in place.

D
__________________
"If it is small enough to eat in a single meal, don't worry about it, hit it!. If it is too large to eat in one sitting, get the hell away from it!" Jack Splash commenting on animals on the trail.

Rally Connex Adventures
Off-Road Adventures
Make It Stick Media

Adventure Has No Destination

08' KTM 450 EXC - The Half Beast -
04' Yamaha TTR250 (for the wife)
osteo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 08:18 AM   #1198
rschulte
Adventurer
 
rschulte's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Oddometer: 54


I wired mine on.
rschulte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 09:28 AM   #1199
osteo
Motion is Life
 
osteo's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: somewhere in Ontario, Canada
Oddometer: 1,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by rschulte View Post


I wired mine on.
Looks good.

D
__________________
"If it is small enough to eat in a single meal, don't worry about it, hit it!. If it is too large to eat in one sitting, get the hell away from it!" Jack Splash commenting on animals on the trail.

Rally Connex Adventures
Off-Road Adventures
Make It Stick Media

Adventure Has No Destination

08' KTM 450 EXC - The Half Beast -
04' Yamaha TTR250 (for the wife)
osteo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 10:52 AM   #1200
BikerRoni
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Oddometer: 16
grip length increase

I bought a 530 in December and am digging it more every day. I have gotten the placement of the bars, steering damper, and bark busters where I like. I would like to get a little more room for my hands, because the cramped area doesn't allow much room to alter hand placement and creates some post riding wrist pain. Maybe a different "back sweep" angle of bar would help?
I also want to eliminate OEM kill switch and install a small "push button" type kill switch on the left bar it to the inside area of the left bar. This will allow for more room on the right grip area after moving throttle assembly further to inside of bar. I am looking for a "narrower" light/turn /horn switchgear which will give more room on the left grip. Maybe even eliminating said electric "gizmo" all together, but at this time , elimination would not be my first choice.
The innovativeness and knowledge of this forum is without comparison and proves a great benefit to its members/riders. Thanks to all contributers.
The 530 is my 4th KTM and , by far , the most versatile and enjoyable yet. With gas prices on the rise, any reason to ride this bike is OK with me.
__________________
Tony Mirando
Atlanta, GA
Bikerroni@gmail.com
BikerRoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014