Old 02-27-2011, 08:49 PM   #151
Joz
What could go wrong?

Oddometer: 1,827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Short'n'Spikey View Post
Thanks to Joz I ended up buying this, amazing fun, gasgas 300
sorry, wrong login

Hey! I recognize those hills! A bit too far for a weekend drive now.
Hi Rob. Hope everything is going great for you.

I had some friends over to my new backyard trials playground today. It's the first time I've ridden a really modern trials bike since moving back to the US. Wow, we had fun! Hopefully they'll post some photos. I didn't take any - I was having too much fun riding!

"Get on with living or get on with dying" Paul Rodden 71 years old
Diesel RV build

Joz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 12:40 AM   #152
timolgra1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 489
I was out with mates practicing on our old twin shocks.
Here's Russ giving his old James some stick
Attached Images

timolgra1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 09:49 AM   #153
Charla
Tamalamian

Oddometer: 26,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joz View Post
I had some friends over to my new backyard trials playground today. It's the first time I've ridden a really modern trials bike since moving back to the US. Wow, we had fun! Hopefully they'll post some photos. I didn't take any - I was having too much fun riding!
Joz's backyard is awesome! Too awesome for my skill level but I took adantage of the time to practice some basics.

Joz on Ben's Sherco

Joz on my Montesa

I couldn't work up the guts to even go down the stairs. I'm already dreaming about next time though!

I practiced my balance.

Ben tried an intimidating line and made it up with only a tiny dab after a few tries.

Joz claims he's rusty but he did eventually make it up this rock.

After we got tired on the motos we went to the garage for a beer and started playing on the old Monty

Soooooo can't wait for our new Echo to get here.
Charla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 02:16 PM   #154
grizz
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 899
Skills Charla, Skills !!

Amazing the way you all just balance. (practice I guess, lots of it)

***** 2006 Sachs MADASS 50cc *****

***** 19?? BSA Bantam D7 FREE Bike Resto *****

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem"
grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 02:52 PM   #155
Charla
Tamalamian

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizz View Post
Skills Charla, Skills !!

Amazing the way you all just balance. (practice I guess, lots of it)
Yesterday was the first time I was able to do that. I figured it out by watching Joz and just playing around a bit.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:43 PM   #156
Brake
"Tractor right up it"

Oddometer: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charla View Post
Yesterday was the first time I was able to do that. I figured it out by watching Joz and just playing around a bit.
Nice Charla. I never saw the extended version of the "dead engine" balance. Good job. I am gonna head to the garage now. Gonna make you work to get that dollar from me.......Now it's on. No longer me vs. Bendejo.....It's me vs. the Smeads
Brake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 07:05 PM   #157
Joz
What could go wrong?

Oddometer: 1,827

Awesome videos! I had a blast with you guys - thanks for letting me do a bit of proper riding. I guess that I really need to compliment my new rock garden with a proper trials bike!

"Get on with living or get on with dying" Paul Rodden 71 years old
Diesel RV build

Joz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 07:06 PM   #158
Gordy
Team Listo

Oddometer: 21,915
Good stuff guys!

They grow up so fast!
Gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 08:32 PM   #159
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,274
Quote:
Holy $hit! that is pretty good balance! if you get to where you have the front wheel straight as well, (work in a hop or 2) then those guys watching you will be merely spotters for YOU, because that is awesome. BAlance, I have watched probably 50 riders get started in 35 years, few could just dead engine balance like that. I can't do it every time neither, the great ones seem to though
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 05:51 AM   #160
brewtus OP
Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer: 2,774
Quote:

Someone go check the tire pressures on that 315!

Very nice, Charla!
brewtus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 07:14 AM   #161
Charla
Tamalamian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting32 View Post
Holy $hit! that is pretty good balance! if you get to where you have the front wheel straight as well, (work in a hop or 2) then those guys watching you will be merely spotters for YOU, because that is awesome. BAlance, I have watched probably 50 riders get started in 35 years, few could just dead engine balance like that. I can't do it every time neither, the great ones seem to though
Thanks. It makes me feel good to know that I can at least do one thing fairly well.

Ben and I bought a balance board a month or so ago and I really think it has helped a lot.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:01 AM   #162
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,274
Quote:
Thanks. It makes me feel good to know that I can at least do one thing fairly well.

Ben and I bought a balance board a month or so ago and I really think it has helped a lot.
If you (anyone reading these posts) recall in one of my posts, just yesterday, I was able to express a term I couldn't put a word on... trials is about the gift of "nuances". So look at the videos of Charla balancing. Notice her body position, it looks like she's been riding for several months or years, instead of some wierd postures I have witnessed as beginners attempt to get going with trials, which is usually overcomming habits learned from riding dirt bikes, for a few years.

Secondly, note this other nuance: Charla "looks" as if it was effortless, to keep her balance (relatively at least). I know, and most know this is NOT the case, but what I am saying is notice that she is using very subtle corrections to keep her balance. Not big old herky jerky motions. that is hard to train.

Hey you guys, keep Charla interested in trails, don't over do it, and get her hurt somehow, as I think if balance is any indication, she'll be wanting to try stuff. I know also it was one vid, so hopefully I didnt make too much of it (for her ego sake and anyone elses) but it sure looks good to see that.

to Charla...
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 09:27 AM   #163
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Oddometer: 5,820
Quote:
If you (anyone reading these posts) recall in one of my posts, just yesterday, I was able to express a term I couldn't put a word on... trials is about the gift of "nuances". So look at the videos of Charla balancing. Notice her body position, it looks like she's been riding for several months or years, instead of some wierd postures I have witnessed as beginners attempt to get going with trials, which is usually overcomming habits learned from riding dirt bikes, for a few years.

Secondly, note this other nuance: Charla "looks" as if it was effortless, to keep her balance (relatively at least). I know, and most know this is NOT the case, but what I am saying is notice that she is using very subtle corrections to keep her balance. Not big old herky jerky motions. that is hard to train.

Hey you guys, keep Charla interested in trails, don't over do it, and get her hurt somehow, as I think if balance is any indication, she'll be wanting to try stuff. I know also it was one vid, so hopefully I didnt make too much of it (for her ego sake and anyone elses) but it sure looks good to see that.

to Charla...

+1... to Charla!

I couldn't balance on a trials bike well until I had been riding for about 4 years...still not sure I could do it dead stick like in her video!! Awesome stuff Charla!!
Old 03-01-2011, 09:29 AM   #164
Charla
Tamalamian

Quote:

The difficult part with the dead engine balance is just getting up on the pegs. Once I realized from watching Joz that I needed to turn the bars to make the bike a little more stable, I figured out the trick. With the bars turned to the left and right hand forward, I started with my right foot on the peg. As I slowly transferred weight to my right foot, I also transferred equal weight onto my LEFT arm to keep from tilting over too far to the right.

Once you can do that smoothly then your left foot can either hang in the breeze or you can bring it up to the peg and then transfer weight from your left arm to your left foot. It's all about being smooth.

Quote:

to Charla...
Thanks for the encouragement.

I don't think there's anything these guys can do to turn me off of trials. I really enjoy it and I get a little bit better every time I ride. I struggle with fear of obstacles, but once I work up the nerve to try something I usually do ok. It's a good thing I'm tough though because I fall down A LOT.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:07 AM   #165
motojunky
Professional Idiot

Oddometer: 1,075
My trials bike today...

Working from home today and there's this funny orange thing in the sky. Decided that lunch would be best spent on the Scorpa in the driveway. I could really get used to this. I haven't ridden since before the holidays and really needed it.

Hopefully next time the ground will have dried up some - my play area is way too swampy at the moment.
motojunky is offline   Reply With Quote