Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-30-2005, 03:31 PM   #1
zirconx OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Gravel roads in mapsource?

I am using Garmin Mapsource 6.5 with City Navigator v6. Is there any way to tell if a road on the map is gravel or paved? I'm trying to find some twisty roads out in the flattest part of the midwest. I see some in the software, but I think a lot of them may be gravel (I will be on a streetbike). I know, the best answer is just to drive a few hours down there and check them out.

-Ryan
zirconx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 03:37 PM   #2
potatoho
Cheese and Rice!

Oddometer: 4,683
You can use maps.google.com and view the satellite images. Sometimes it is a few years old though, or they don't have a close-up of the area.
potatoho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 05:02 PM   #3
CMWoody
Banned

Oddometer: 5,248
Rumor is that that feature will be in the next generation of Navigator.
CMWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 05:48 AM   #4
Snapper
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,444
I have a 2610 with City Navigator (unit's a year old so maybe < V6?). On the 2610, dirt roads are shown as dashed lines, paved roads as solid lines ... and I've found them to be quite accurate.

Can't remember if it's the same using Mapsource on the PC, though. Do you have a GPS, or just the desktop software?
Old 05-31-2005, 06:06 AM   #5
zirconx OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I have a SP III. I'll have to look on there when I get it out next weekend and see if it shows the gravel roads differently. If it can do it there's no reason mapsource can't. Maybe the new mapsource 6.6 will do it.

-Ryan
Old 05-31-2005, 07:51 AM   #6
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,268
I would think that if the info is in the map database, it would be displayed by either Mapsource on the PC or the GPS. So I think it is mostly a question of whether the database has the information, not whether Mapsource will display it.

I don't know about City Navigator, but with City Select V5, you cannot readily differentiate secondary roads betwen paved and unpaved. They are a few different colors and line weights for major vs. secondary roads, and the major ones are typically paved, but at the finest detail, the secondary roads can be either.

You can view the map databases online at Garmin's website. Out of curiosity, I just checked my local area with City Navigator and I don't see much secondary road detail at all. Perhaps the online version is crippled.

I still find AAA state maps to be the best at differentiating between paved and unpaved. Map "line weight" (being able to easily look at a map and tell which roads are major and which are goat trails), is my major criticism of every GPS I've used. At one zoom level/map detail level all you'll see are major highways and at the next level, the entire map will become a spider web of roads, all of equal weight. For paved trips, I use paper maps a lot more than GPS.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 12:01 PM   #7
MMcnamara
Where does that go?

Oddometer: 2,004
Where are you? I have really good knowledge of the Missouri Ozarks and can give you some tips. I use a combination of Missouri DNR and DeLorme maps, and my own GPS tracks.

Mark
St. Louis
Old 06-01-2005, 01:54 PM   #8
zirconx OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I am in northwestern Iowa. Nothing around here but straight flat roads. So I'm starting to look a few hours away in all directions. I know there's lots of great stuff in southern MO and in Arkanas (one of my favorite places to ride).

If you know of some good curvies in northern MO, a little closer to me, please share.

-Ryan
Old 06-01-2005, 04:19 PM   #9
rideLD
The further the better!

Oddometer: 5,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by zirconx
I am in northwestern Iowa. Nothing around here but straight flat roads. So I'm starting to look a few hours away in all directions. I know there's lots of great stuff in southern MO and in Arkanas (one of my favorite places to ride).

If you know of some good curvies in northern MO, a little closer to me, please share.

-Ryan
Go south into the Loess Hills that run North / South along western Iowa. Plenty of twisties there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
We pay Motorrad to design weight off the bike then pay TouraTech to bolt it right back on.
rideLD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 04:21 PM   #10
MattS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapper
I have a 2610 with City Navigator (unit's a year old so maybe < V6?). On the 2610, dirt roads are shown as dashed lines, paved roads as solid lines ... and I've found them to be quite accurate.
Fairly accurate in the northeast, dreadfully off the mark elsewhere ... like western PA and WV.
MattS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 07:23 PM   #11
ptc05ADV
Looking for adventur

Oddometer: 487
Gravel roads in Mapsource

Hello from EASTERN Canada... you can't get much farther east than Goose Bay!

Up in Canada Mapsource is only as good as the database, I guess this is probably true everywhere . There are many places where the actual path of the road and its condition don't follow the "standards".

In Nfld & Lab the gravel roads are often shown as solid lines because they are considered to be main roads. So the naming convention (main vs secondary) takes priority over the actual road surface.
Local knowledge can be invaluable up here in the great underpopulated NORTH.

Peter Campbell
ptc05ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 08:19 PM   #12
2whlrcr
gooligan

Oddometer: 5,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by zirconx

-Ryan
Check out this thread for a ride I'm hosting in N.E. Iowa.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79168
2whlrcr is offline   Reply With Quote