Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2011, 08:19 AM   #16
Charla OP
Tamalamian

Oddometer: 26,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post

edit: Oh chit Chris Hertrich is organizing it.. expect difficult.

Gotta watch this one.
I still think he was specifically trying to kill me at Tucker.

Charla screwed with this post 03-02-2011 at 08:29 AM
Charla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 08:20 AM   #17
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charla View Post
I still think he was specifically trying to kill me a Tucker.

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 08:26 AM   #18
Mr. Magoo
n/a

Oddometer: 4,946
Quote:
April 16th at Riverside Park, Chris Hertrich is organizing it.

It was this video that made me want a trials bicycle. If a nine year old can do it, I can do it too right?

ROCK ON!!!!
Mr. Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 09:15 AM   #19
grizzzly
The Pre-Banned Version

Oddometer: 3,254
Quote:
Originally Posted by geode View Post
considering I drove over 2500 miles to bring home my 1981 Montessa Cota we''l just have to admit my $$$ to seat calculations aren't that refined.

I have 4 m/c projects going on right now, and a new milling machine on order, so while I want a trials bicycle, I'm not inclined to drop $1,000 or so on one right now. Hence the wallyworld sawzall thoughts. A sub-$100 bike and 20 mins with a sawzall and angle grinder is better than nothing.

i wouldnt bother with the sawzall untill you have some time on the bike and decide that it is necarry

mine is basicaly a mountain bike with stout wheels

grizzzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 09:43 AM   #20
Charla OP
Tamalamian

For those of you who do have a trials bicycle how do you use them?

Our thinking is that it will be a great training tool for moto and just general fitness, but the more I learn the more I think that the hooks are going to sink deep. We don't even have the Echo yet and I'm already thinking we should start collecting parts to build a 20 inch bike.

Ben and I spend A LOT of time hanging out outside when the weather is nice so I'm expecting this bike will see plenty of use.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:47 AM   #21
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer: 46,309
Quote:

Our thinking is that it will be a great training tool for moto and just general fitness, but the more I learn the more I think that the hooks are going to sink deep. We don't even have the Echo yet and I'm already thinking we should start collecting parts to build a 20 inch bike.

Ben and I spend A LOT of time hanging out outside when the weather is nice so I'm expecting this bike will see plenty of use.
Mostly skills. I do a fair amount of mountainbike riding and the Monty does wonders for finesse. I just set up some logs and goof around.

I don't have a trials motorcycle (yet...) so can't comment there...but my slow-speed noodling around on other bikes is much better.

I'm short so it all helps on my XR400 due to my short legs; I like the slow speed practice.

I think I'd be better off on a 26" versus my Monty 20". I've got a short torso and the long top tube on the Monty gives me fits as a result. I could build up a small or XS jumper/urban trials pretty easily and probably have less frustration. Another plus with a 26 is being able to fart around on trails as well as the backyard. That said, the Monty is a total hoot to ride.

If I do sell it, if the trialsmodgods don't disapprove I'll post it in the trials FM.

Like I like. Yep.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 12:59 PM   #22
grizzzly
The Pre-Banned Version

Quote:

mostly balance

Old 03-02-2011, 05:00 PM   #23
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,445
Bought mine for $75.. works for my backyard picnic table trials..

Practicing my kickup:

Old 03-02-2011, 05:09 PM   #24
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer: 46,309
Damn...you stole that.

Like I like. Yep.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 05:21 PM   #25
WeeMcD
V-Strom explorer

Oddometer: 437
I have dabbled in bicycle trials for a number of years. Never really put down the bucks for an official trials bike. My old (and quite beefy) Gary Fisher GED hardtail with Saint hubs and hydraulic disc brakes allows me to practice balance, pivot and bounce maneuvers. Not to mention that thing will ride a wicked wheelie. Every time that I am out playing the kids in the neighborhood come out in hordes. Makes me cringe when they're out without helmets, etc.

I would freakin love to buy a trials motorcycle. The thing that kept me from buying a trials bike before is what keeps me from doing it now... it is very specialized. The tool that you carry with you is the one that gets used. Specialized means that you have to plan to use it in order to have it with you to use it. I tend to be better doing things on a whim.

"When all else fails get a bigger hammer."
WeeMcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 06:06 PM   #26
grizzzly
The Pre-Banned Version

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeMcD View Post
I would freakin love to buy a trials motorcycle. The thing that kept me from buying a trials bike before is what keeps me from doing it now... it is very specialized. The tool that you carry with you is the one that gets used. Specialized means that you have to plan to use it in order to have it with you to use it. I tend to be better doing things on a whim.
but with a trials bike you can ride it in a small area and it doesn't take much time to get it ready
if i want go for a ride on my 650l or the wr450 it seems like it takes about an hour to get everything ready and when i am done riding another hour to put it up

and the trials bike takes 5 minuets so if i only have two hours guess what i am doing

Old 03-02-2011, 06:52 PM   #27
Gordy
Team Listo

Oddometer: 22,078
I bought my first trials bike to cross-train for dirt ridng. I'll be damned if I am going to buy something to cross-train on for the cross-trainer!
Gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 06:56 PM   #28
Charla OP
Tamalamian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy View Post
I bought my first trials bike to cross-train for dirt ridng. I'll be damned if I am going to buy something to cross-train on for the cross-trainer!

Didn't you spend a ridiculous amount of money on a mountain bike or was that all talk?
Old 03-02-2011, 07:03 PM   #29
Charla OP
Tamalamian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photog View Post
Mostly skills. I do a fair amount of mountainbike riding and the Monty does wonders for finesse. I just set up some logs and goof around.

I don't have a trials motorcycle (yet...) so can't comment there...but my slow-speed noodling around on other bikes is much better.

I'm short so it all helps on my XR400 due to my short legs; I like the slow speed practice.

I think I'd be better off on a 26" versus my Monty 20". I've got a short torso and the long top tube on the Monty gives me fits as a result. I could build up a small or XS jumper/urban trials pretty easily and probably have less frustration. Another plus with a 26 is being able to fart around on trails as well as the backyard. That said, the Monty is a total hoot to ride.

If I do sell it, if the trialsmodgods don't disapprove I'll post it in the trials FM.
That sounds like fun.

If you do decide to sell that Monty let me know, I may be interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeMcD View Post
I have dabbled in bicycle trials for a number of years. Never really put down the bucks for an official trials bike. My old (and quite beefy) Gary Fisher GED hardtail with Saint hubs and hydraulic disc brakes allows me to practice balance, pivot and bounce maneuvers. Not to mention that thing will ride a wicked wheelie. Every time that I am out playing the kids in the neighborhood come out in hordes. Makes me cringe when they're out without helmets, etc.

Once you buy a trials bike that's pretty much all you want to ride so the specialization isn't such a problem. They make a pretty decent trail bike too as long as you aren't trying to do a lot of mileage.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:12 PM   #30
brewtus
Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer: 2,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy View Post

+1.
brewtus is offline   Reply With Quote