User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 84 votes, 4.95 average. Display Modes
Old 02-21-2011, 12:46 PM   #4156
RUOK
no, no I guess not

Oddometer: 315
My brother made a stand with a folding metal saw-horse and a small piece of plywood on top with the wheel attached. It folds up and fits in the hall closet.That and an adjustable height office chair seems to work real well.

RUOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 11:14 AM   #4157
Bonnie Abbzug
Property of Hayduke

Oddometer: 10,339
Hey Gamers,

I just got my ps3 and I cannot get it to connect to the internet. I keep getting "The attempt to obtain an IP address timed out." Got any advice for me?

I know I'm putting in the correct wpa key, I just used it to hook up my new tv.
Bonnie Abbzug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 11:20 AM   #4158
ThePikeman
German n00b

Oddometer: 4,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie Abbzug View Post
Hey Gamers,

I just got my ps3 and I cannot get it to connect to the internet. I keep getting "The attempt to obtain an IP address timed out." Got any advice for me?

I know I'm putting in the correct wpa key, I just used it to hook up my new tv.
Does it work when using a cable to your router?

Maybe someone security conscious switched on the mac filter (in the router)?
WPA or WPA2?
ThePikeman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 11:25 AM   #4159
Bonnie Abbzug
Property of Hayduke

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePikeman View Post
Does it work when using a cable to your router?

Maybe someone security conscious switched on the mac filter (in the router)?
WPA or WPA2?
It's WPA and it's way too far away from the cable to check if it will work or not.

What is a mac filter and how can I check if that was switched on?

Edit: I just checked my settings and the mac is disabled.

Edit #2: Got it to work! I just needed to power cycle through the router and modem.

Bonnie Abbzug screwed with this post 02-22-2011 at 01:56 PM
Old 02-22-2011, 05:15 PM   #4160
Bonnie Abbzug
Property of Hayduke

Nevermind. Still haven't been able to connect to the internet, which means I can't actually play the stupid Sports game because it needs to do an update.

Called support and they were completely unhelpful.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:29 PM   #4161
ThePikeman
German n00b

Quote:

Nevermind. Still haven't been able to connect to the internet, which means I can't actually play the stupid Sports game because it needs to do an update.

Called support and they were completely unhelpful.
Sorry, I can't really help you much further. I don't have a PS3 and so don't know what settings are available there.
What kind of router do you have?
Does the PS get a connection to the router? There should be a status screen on the router website. Usually you connect to it via typing 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.2.1 in the browser address bar.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:36 PM   #4162
Bonnie Abbzug
Property of Hayduke

Quote:
Sorry, I can't really help you much further. I don't have a PS3 and so don't know what settings are available there.
What kind of router do you have?
Does the PS get a connection to the router? There should be a status screen on the router website. Usually you connect to it via typing 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.2.1 in the browser address bar.
Thanks for trying Pikeman. I really think it's a problem in the ps3, but I don't know and neither did the support guy. I'm about ready to pack the thing up and ship it back.

I'm getting intermittant connections to the router. It will connect for a few minutes, but then it won't stay connected long enough to actually do any downloads, or connect to the web browser.

I'm going to call support one more time and if they can't get it fixed, it's going back.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:47 PM   #4163
ThePikeman
German n00b

Quote:
Thanks for trying Pikeman. I really think it's a problem in the ps3, but I don't know and neither did the support guy. I'm about ready to pack the thing up and ship it back.

I'm getting intermittant connections to the router. It will connect for a few minutes, but then it won't stay connected long enough to actually do any downloads, or connect to the web browser.

I'm going to call support one more time and if they can't get it fixed, it's going back.
Some other things you could try or check:

Does the PS3 get an IP from the router? Is the DHCP server (giving out ips) switched on?

Try to switch off security and try it again. This is just to close in on the problem.

Is there a signal strength bar on the PS3? Does a laptop in the position where you want to put the PS get a good connection?
Old 02-22-2011, 06:33 PM   #4164
Bonnie Abbzug
Property of Hayduke

Quote:
Some other things you could try or check:

Does the PS3 get an IP from the router? Is the DHCP server (giving out ips) switched on?

Try to switch off security and try it again. This is just to close in on the problem.

Is there a signal strength bar on the PS3? Does a laptop in the position where you want to put the PS get a good connection?
It turned out that it was a router compatibility issue (so far anyway). I changed my router settings to G instead of Mixed and I'm now connected to the internet.

This last support guy was much more helpful than the first one. I'm downloading the update for Sports, so I can hopefully get in one or two games before bed!!

Thanks again Pikeman for the help!! :hug
Old 02-22-2011, 06:51 PM   #4165
ThePikeman
German n00b

Quote:
It turned out that it was a router compatibility issue (so far anyway). I changed my router settings to G instead of Mixed and I'm now connected to the internet.

This last support guy was much more helpful than the first one. I'm downloading the update for Sports, so I can hopefully get in one or two games before bed!!

Thanks again Pikeman for the help!! :hug
Glad it works.

Sometimes the support GUYS are really useful. I've never had a woman being helpful at all, at least not where anything with computers was involved. Two women managed to bring me to hang up when my parents had a problem with their phone line. Hanging up was the only polite solution.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:51 PM   #4166
Bonnie Abbzug
Property of Hayduke

Quote:
Glad it works.

Sometimes the support GUYS are really useful. I've never had a woman being helpful at all, at least not where anything with computers was involved. Two women managed to bring me to hang up when my parents had a problem with their phone line. Hanging up was the only polite solution.

I don't know that I've ever had a female tech support except with the phone company!

I have Hayduke playing archery right now! It's funny!!!
Old 02-23-2011, 07:47 AM   #4167
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,300
When I was working for a pretty big bank we had a female field tech support person. She was pretty cool and "one of the guys"....no she was not gay.

Sometimes I miss the people at the places I use to work....some people I don't but the good ones I do.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 11:59 AM   #4168
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 4,981
Well, I'm ready to pull the trigger on a new GFX card. Problem is which one? I'm looking at around $350 range. I think I want a single card solution but not 100%. Although at $350, I think that limits me to a single card. I currently have a Nvidia GTX 280 SSC.

I think with the budget, I'm looking at either a Nvidia GTX 570 or Radeon 6970. Although I've been reading a lot about people unlocking their 6950 2GB's to 6970 specs for a $50-100 savings over a 6970.

The only game I must be able to play is Arma2 OA but that's HEAVILY hardware dependent and doesn't use a universal engine like Unreal or Crytek. Other then that I tend to play military FPS but haven't gotten into COD or MOH since they went to console.

I currently use a single monitor that's 1440x900 but I'll eventually upgrade to at least 1920x1080 but probably no larger then 2560x1600. No immediate plans to run 3 monitors.

Noise isn't really a problem. Size isn't either.

The other thing I've noticed is that Nvidia's and especially EVGA's are hard to come by. I haven't heard of any shortages. The Radeon 6970 is readily available though. Also I've been reading about people getting a Redeon 6950 and unlocking the pipes so it's to 6970 specs. The cards are anywhere from $50-100 cheaper. Although with any brand, I would like to stick with those that have Lifetime Warranties. I tend to keep my cards for 5 years or so then hand them down. Lifetime warranties have saved two cards.

My computers specs are:

Intel i7 920 OC 4.2Ghz h2o
EVGA GTX 280 SSC
6GB RAM Corsair DDR3 Dominator 1600
EVGA 3xSLI LE
Old 03-07-2011, 06:12 PM   #4169
Howzit
DoubleTrouble 1,111

Oddometer: 1,092
Xbox 360 Live

I just got a 12 month Gold subscription with 20% off plus a new game - I chose Kinectamals for the 4 & 6 year old. Cool-beans, a free game for the cost of subscription or is that free subscription with the purchase of a game? (We've also been enjoying Netflix and ESPN)

...the offer came via the console after I let the free months subscription lapse.

BTW, the 4 & 6 year old are just getting into Jack & Daxter on the PS2 and my 12 year old, who started on this 8 years ago is showing them how - This has to be the greatest video game of all time!
Old 03-07-2011, 06:21 PM   #4170
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Oddometer: 15,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howzit View Post
I just got a 12 month Gold subscription with 20% off plus a new game - I chose Kinectamals for the 4 & 6 year old. Cool-beans, a free game for the cost of subscription or is that free subscription with the purchase of a game? (We've also been enjoying Netflix and ESPN)

...the offer came via the console after I let the free months subscription lapse.

BTW, the 4 & 6 year old are just getting into Jack & Daxter on the PS2 and my 12 year old, who started on this 8 years ago is showing them how - This has to be the greatest video game of all time!
I haven't got around to doing the live part of the xbox yet. is it worth it?

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...
ImaPoser is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: