ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-18-2010, 09:51 PM   #76
Toddwmac
ADV addict

Oddometer: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbner
One of my favorite programs is geosetter not only can you veiw the gpx trail but you can geotag the photos you took along the way. It than can create a really really neat google earth file with your trip photos along the way.

http://www.geosetter.de/
Hey hobbner...would you consider logging entry here on the GPS software thead about geo setter? http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=587234
Lost but don't care!
Toddwmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 07:17 PM   #77
Snr Moment
Unafarkler

Oddometer: 2,197
I've been able to download a.gpx file from Adv, but my computer says it cannot open it. Only thing I could find was Pareto software, but they want some $$$ for it.
Any other options? Running Vista.

YAAK
Snr Moment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 04:22 PM   #78
Toddwmac
ADV addict

Oddometer: 283
There are a number of options out there. One is to install Google Earth http://earth.google.com/download-earth.html (free and quick to instal) you can load GPX files directly.

Some times you need to convert the GPX files into other formats and you can also use free tools like GPS Visualizer (an online tool) (In my post here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=587234)
or GPS Bable http://www.gpsbabel.org/download.html a desktop tool

There are a lot of options out there...good luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snr Moment
I've been able to download a.gpx file from Adv, but my computer says it cannot open it. Only thing I could find was Pareto software, but they want some $$$ for it.
Any other options? Running Vista.
Lost but don't care!
Toddwmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 02:00 PM   #79
jsb223
ADV Rookie

Oddometer: 1,162
Thumb

This might be old news but...

I found a very good tool for viewing and editing GPX files...

GPX Editor (google it)

No installation...

Single file exe inside zip file

Allows you to trim excessive waypoint out of gpx fiiles (critical for some older units)

trim and append files.

If you have an internet connection allows you to view with Google maps sat, and topo.
jsb223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 11:06 PM   #80
craftycoder
Motobrain PDU

Oddometer: 2,243
New online GPS tool available.

I've been working on a tool to store, display, and search for GPS files. Currently it works with GPX files only, but I will add GDB compatibility soon.

Presently, you can upload a gpx file and embed something like the map below into another site. This should be handy for us ADVers. If you have a bunch a track files and are finding them difficult to organize, this will be very helpful as well. Load in the files and then they are automatically organized by location and you can search an area just by drawing a box over it on a map. You can keep your tracks private or show them publicly but not allow downloading or zooming in too close.

Next, I plan to allow editing of maps, both drawing new lines and copying lines from other maps and putting them into a new map. You will then be able to export a new gpx file. Turn a track into a route and back will be as easy and pushing a button. I'm creating these tools for my needs but I want to share them with the rest of y'all.

craftycoder screwed with this post 11-22-2010 at 05:21 PM
craftycoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 09:44 AM   #81
gkgeiger
Every ride is an ADV

Oddometer: 634
I think you're not supposed to post the same thing in two different threads, so if someone would go to GPS tracks Rockies and see if you can help me. Thanks,
'12 NC700X/D
gkgeiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 08:59 AM   #82
Abenteuerfahrer
Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer: 2,287
I know, I know..this has been beaten to death regarding not being able to open .GPX files and load then on Mapsource....BUT again I would like for anyone that has more brains than me to give me a step by step rundown how to open a .GPX file and load it to/copy it to Mapsource.

I did download a supposedly good "Uniblue Registry Booster" GPX opener for $33. but to no avail.

Am still perplexed of why it won't open....where's the beef??

Appreciate some step by step guidance.....

Am trying to open BigDogs CDT GPX file and C2C(coast to coast) GPX files and load them into Mapsource...

Cheers....
Abenteuerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 06:27 PM   #83
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,258
Abenteuerfahrer

Which version of Mapsource are you using? The versions I have open .GPX files just fine. The older one I have is 6.13.7 and the newer one (on a different computer) is 6.15.x (not sure about that last digit and am not on that confuser)
Old 03-06-2011, 02:29 PM   #84
tbirdsp
REMF

Oddometer: 8,721
Yeah, anything 6.13.7 or newer will open .gpx ( it actually started in a earlier version than 6.13.7 quite a while ago).
http://www.reddeliciousband.com
tbirdsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 09:02 AM   #85
Abenteuerfahrer
Deaf on Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by 250senuf View Post
Which version of Mapsource are you using? The versions I have open .GPX files just fine. The older one I have is 6.13.7 and the newer one (on a different computer) is 6.15.x (not sure about that last digit and am not on that confuser)
Sorry Guys for my Tardiness here. Went Ridin'..woowee

I currently have 6.16.3 version of Mapsource...but what are the steps to take to get it into Mapsource. Currently it is in the Download file of my Windows Starter 7.

Thanks....
Old 03-14-2011, 05:23 PM   #86
tbirdsp
REMF

Oddometer: 8,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abenteuerfahrer View Post
Sorry Guys for my Tardiness here. Went Ridin'..woowee

I currently have 6.16.3 version of Mapsource...but what are the steps to take to get it into Mapsource. Currently it is in the Download file of my Windows Starter 7.

Thanks....
You are thinking of this all wrong. You don't "download" anything to Mapsource - it's a program like Microsoft Word. You OPEN your file using Mapsource. Either open up Mapsource then go to File>Open and find your file and open it, or find your file, right click it and do "open with" Mapsource. If you always want Mapsource to open .gpx files when you click them you will have to associate them with Mapsource, not sure how in Windows 7.

Just like with other programs, you can open up multiple instances of Mapsource and cut/paste things between files too.
http://www.reddeliciousband.com
tbirdsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 10:43 AM   #87
Abenteuerfahrer
Deaf on Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdsp View Post
You are thinking of this all wrong. You don't "download" anything to Mapsource - it's a program like Microsoft Word. You OPEN your file using Mapsource. Either open up Mapsource then go to File>Open and find your file and open it, or find your file, right click it and do "open with" Mapsource. If you always want Mapsource to open .gpx files when you click them you will have to associate them with Mapsource, not sure how in Windows 7.

Just like with other programs, you can open up multiple instances of Mapsource and cut/paste things between files too.
tbirdsp.....Yes, yes...my thinking was/is all wrong. Finally got it....many thanks for your undivided attention. Opening my file using Mapsource was it, not the otherway..wooo..... actually had to have a better register software like Uniblue though. Some PC glitch here!

Thanks again and I now can open .GPX'es with ease.

Cheers Amigo...
Old 10-31-2012, 03:43 AM   #88
summ3r
n00b

Oddometer: 2
view gpx in GPX2KML

You can view GPX files with http://gpx2kml.com/

Just upload your GPX file and press convert, then you will get a resulting KML file with a link to Google Maps.

It will look like this:

summ3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:49 AM   #89
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,540
Prune -- GPX editor for Linux

I just started using Prune, a free GPX editor that runs on the Linux operating system. (It will also run on Windows, Mac OSX, and Solaris, but my goal was to find a program that runs on Linux.)

http://activityworkshop.net/software...une/index.html

My Garmin doesn't support routes and accepts only a single waypoint, so I can't make use of most of what Prune will do. But Prune will display my tracks on a map and show where I've been (with all the data the GPS records). The description says it'll let me edit waypoints and create new tracks but I haven't tried any editing. It will export in a variety of formats.

Prune requires maps in openstreetmap format, so it won't work with Google maps. But Prune quickly loads the required map tiles with just a click.

Everything that I HAVE tried has worked quickly and well.

Grinnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:17 PM   #90
byways
byways

Oddometer: 2,146
Gpx2kml

Just used GPX2KML on Summ3r's suggestion. Awesome utility! Fast and simple. Thanks for the tip!

byways screwed with this post 12-15-2012 at 12:18 PM Reason: edit text
byways is offline   Reply With Quote