Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2011, 10:38 AM   #16
GypsyWriter OP
Sarah

Oddometer: 1,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by btcn View Post
Yes, but you can also possibly put a slightly larger sprocket in the front or a smaller one in the rear, especially since it has hi/low range. Unless it is fine for you for now.
To be honest I haven't ridden it much except down the sidewalk and back. A 16T sprocket is on the to-do list but it's a ways down there. The PO didn't seem too mechanically inclined and I want to do all the maintenance first (clutch, valves, oil, tires, carb etc) before I really take it for a spin. The weather's been too damn rainy since I got it though, and I'm itching to tear into it (I don't have a garage, just an awning/carport at my apartment. I've occupied myself with reading about various upgrades, available products etc but that won't last me much longer; thank goodness tomorrow is supposed to be sunny.

Last night I fiberglassed an area on the plastic covering the frame rail and wires, today I hope to finish that up so I can start sanding. If the weather continues like this I may just focus on the small body work instead of the mechanicals - spring can't come soon enough.

Fortunately now I have the tools instead of the Dude (we keep them in my '73 Maverick, my other project) so I may say screw the rain and work some this afternoon. (I really need a garage...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FotoTEX View Post
Life is dangerous. Not doing what you love makes life even more dangerous...

GypsyWriter screwed with this post 02-26-2011 at 10:53 AM
GypsyWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 02:23 PM   #17
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahp View Post
To be honest I haven't ridden it much except down the sidewalk and back. A 16T sprocket is on the to-do list but it's a ways down there. The PO didn't seem too mechanically inclined and I want to do all the maintenance first (clutch, valves, oil, tires, carb etc) before I really take it for a spin. The weather's been too damn rainy since I got it though, and I'm itching to tear into it (I don't have a garage, just an awning/carport at my apartment. I've occupied myself with reading about various upgrades, available products etc but that won't last me much longer; thank goodness tomorrow is supposed to be sunny.

Last night I fiberglassed an area on the plastic covering the frame rail and wires, today I hope to finish that up so I can start sanding. If the weather continues like this I may just focus on the small body work instead of the mechanicals - spring can't come soon enough.

Fortunately now I have the tools instead of the Dude (we keep them in my '73 Maverick, my other project) so I may say screw the rain and work some this afternoon. (I really need a garage...)

Oh, okay that makes sense. Yea I would definitely get all the mechanical situations sorted out and work from there.
btcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 02:41 PM   #18
GypsyWriter OP
Sarah

Pics!

Woohoo we have sun! (been wondering where that thing went)

Speedo shot

Bad tires (sidewalls are worse)

The Dude is busy pounding away on his knives and the weather is iffy today so I may not get too much done but I at least want to do the oil (both engine and fork) and look at the various adjustments that need to be made. Got my trusty Owner's Manual right by my side, toolkit out and ready to roll!
Quote:
Old 02-26-2011, 03:30 PM   #19
hexnut
just cruising

Oddometer: 1,459
Hey, that thing looks pretty good. You did well. Have fun.

hexnuts...a curse put on your balls by a mean gypsy
3/5 Cav, C Troop, BlackKnights, Vietnam 1969
hexnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 08:10 AM   #20
MaineScoot
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 549
Great pics, looks awesome.
MaineScoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 09:01 AM   #21
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,855
Fix that thing up, take it for a ride, and do a ride report. We need more ride reports on scooters and wee beasties Don't take too long, we're all waiting

klaviator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 09:14 AM   #22
Queen
Escapee

Oddometer: 24,467
What a cool scoot!!!
Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 09:26 AM   #23
GypsyWriter OP
Sarah

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
Fix that thing up, take it for a ride, and do a ride report. We need more ride reports on scooters and wee beasties Don't take too long, we're all waiting

Lol!! Everyone thinks I'm insane because that's exactly what I want to do!! I don't think I'll brave the TAT, Anchorage-to-Argentina or a RTW anytime soon (mostly due to time and money, not for lack of will!) but there will definitely be some scooting adventures on this puppy.

First off though to get her running like a top. I only had a few hours yesterday to work on her (I learned a lot but it probably took me three times as long as normal for routine maintenance) and got the oil flushed (several times), the clutch adjusted (totally new thing for me but way easier than I expected), splints lubed with Moly 60, oil filter checked (VERY clean, I think the PO had her serviced before), and several very grimy parts (skid plate and footprg assembly) cleaned off. I wanted to check the points and tappets as well as flush the forks too but by the time dinner was done it was dark, cold, and I chickened out. That will be today, as soon as the frost melts and the sun does it's damn job (yeah I'm a friggin' wuss ).
Quote:
Old 02-27-2011, 09:48 AM   #24
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahp View Post
Lol!! Everyone thinks I'm insane because that's exactly what I want to do!! I don't think I'll brave the TAT, Anchorage-to-Argentina or a RTW anytime soon (mostly due to time and money, not for lack of will!) but there will definitely be some scooting adventures on this puppy.
I still remember when you did your first trip and ride report on your CX500. That wasn't a real epic trip on the TAT, to Argentina, or RTW either. It was still a very interesting report because FOR YOU, it was a big adventure. I'm sure a short trip on your CT will be the same. In many ways it is great not to be spoiled and be able to have an adventure without going someplace exotic. I have found that riding a small scooter brings back some of the adventure on short rides that would be boring on a bigger bike.

klaviator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 03:04 PM   #25
topless
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
Here's a couple of forums you can cruise to find answers for any questions you will have. I have 2 CT90's and there isn't much you can't find for them.
http://hondatrailcts.yuku.com/
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/ct90/
You can still buy a lot of parts for them on DrATV's website too.
topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 12:03 PM   #26
GypsyWriter OP
Sarah

A little update on the bike: we've been working on her every evening but minus an abortive attempt to ride it down the street (whereupon it died on me) I haven't been cruising on her yet. I'm pretty sure it's an electrical thing, Dude thinks it's the carb so we've been fiddling with the float heights and screwing things in and out waiting for shiny new electricals to get delivered. I'm looking to replace the rectifier (hopefully using a Radio Shack chip), coil and plug wire (it was threaded too close to the exhaust and sports a nice hole), spark plugs, resistor-less cap and new battery. We got her tuned to factory specs (looking for stock float height now) and yet she hates kicking over so I'm hoping some electricals bits will do her good. Both the engine and carb are very clean and maintained (the carb appears rebuilt at some point), it just won't maintain spark (plugs get fouled).

Best part though? I add this little sucker alongside my Vstrom on my insurance and it cuts the yearly costs in HALF!! Damn near paid for itself right there!!
Quote:
Old 03-06-2011, 11:08 AM   #27
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,606
One oddball thing I had a problem with when I had mine was venting the fuel tank.

With the fuel cap fully closed it would run for a while then die. I checked the fuel cap venting by running a wire through the hole, so it seemed open, but it wasn't enough.

By keeping the cap just on the tank, but not screwed on, it ran fine. Close the cap, and it would eventually die and be next to impossible to start.

Not saying that's your problem, but it's easy enough to try, and costs nothing.

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote