Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2011, 10:43 AM   #196
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,618
I have a set of these HF metric combination wrenches that are made in India. Very nice looking and surely a good buy for average consumer use. I did manage to bend the 17mm wrench which wouldn't have happened with a Snap On but they are 1/10 the price and still have a lifetime warranty.

Also have one of these. Not recommended except for occasional use. If you don't remove the battery when not in use it will go dead in a week.
hugemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 11:16 AM   #197
B.Curvin
Feral Chia tamer

Oddometer: 2,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmiguy View Post
I've seen many recent-production Bosch brand power tools labeled "Made in Switzerland".

Granted, Switzerland is not technically "America", but if you're looking for non-Chinese power tools they may be worth investigating.

Thanks for that. I haven't bought Dewalt or Bosch in years because they've been labeled

Mexico (DeWalt) or china (Bosch). If Bosch has moved some

production back to Switzerland I'd be happy to buy them. (googling now).

Porsche Audi VW
B.Curvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 02:26 PM   #198
Tweaker

Oddometer: 9,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Curvin View Post
Thanks for that. I haven't bought Dewalt or Bosch in years because they've been labeled

Mexico (DeWalt) or china (Bosch). If Bosch has moved some

production back to Switzerland I'd be happy to buy them. (googling now).
Don't know about drills but I noticed Made in Spain on a couple of other Bosch tools I have.
Tweaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 03:57 PM   #199
gmiguy
You rode a what to where?

Oddometer: 1,190
Quote:
If Bosch has moved some production back to Switzerland I'd be happy to buy them. (googling now).
I just checked, my 12V cordless Bosch drill is made in Switzerland with the battery pack made in Japan. I bought it about 2 years ago.

Many of the 18V cordless drills we use in the plant are Bosch products, I recall seeing new ones labeled Switzerland within the last couple of weeks. I could be wrong, but I think the 18V batteries were labeled China.
gmiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 04:37 PM   #200
Tweaker

Quote:

Mexico (DeWalt) or china (Bosch).
I dunno, I see support for Mexico as an indirect benefit to the US. At least a lessor of two evils. Give them work there and they don't come here and flood my trade with cheap labor.

How is that worse than buying Euro tools?
Old 02-23-2011, 08:42 AM   #201
tgeliot
Topher

Oddometer: 1,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmiguy View Post
I just checked, my 12V cordless Bosch drill is made in Switzerland with the battery pack made in Japan. I bought it about 2 years ago.

Many of the 18V cordless drills we use in the plant are Bosch products, I recall seeing new ones labeled Switzerland within the last couple of weeks. I could be wrong, but I think the 18V batteries were labeled China.
I find it astonishing that they would decide it's more economical to manufacture something in Switzerland. That's one of the most expensive places on the planet.
1) Coroner's report is to read "Death by misadventure."
2) Dixieland jazz band at my funeral.
tgeliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:46 PM   #202
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,871
I recently heard that the Chinese have begun producing weapons. That's our last real product industry.

What else do we have left, agriculture & entertainment?

Maybe when we're all broke the Chinese will come over and make us live on reservations.

In the meantime....I'm stocking up on cheap tools, because I have a tool addiction. HF usually works okay for me, but I hate orange (except KTMs). I buy good tools too.

Btw, I'm betting the Chinese have plenty of internal issues that could easily destablize their country. Money seems to be pouring into China at the moment, but things can change. Overnight successes are often followed by overnight failures. One thing is certain, they won't continue to work for peanuts indefinitely.
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 07:56 AM   #203
svejkovat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 854
Think i might have added this somewhere before, but here's just another heads-up. Much of the shrink tubing I've gotten from HF has been pretty disappointingly weakened by solvents. In the past I've generally been impressed with shrink tube in this regard. But the stuff I've used (it's so cheap it's irresistable) from HF has suffered in gasoline. Pisses me off, since it appears to have all the markings and standards on it.
svejkovat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 08:26 AM   #204
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 9,013
Question

Anyone have any experience with their little powdercoater? I've seen the same item sold thru powdercoating suppliers.

Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 05:19 PM   #205
dox
How much for the ape?

Oddometer: 2,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by svejkovat View Post
Think i might have added this somewhere before, but here's just another heads-up. Much of the shrink tubing I've gotten from HF has been pretty disappointingly weakened by solvents. In the past I've generally been impressed with shrink tube in this regard. But the stuff I've used (it's so cheap it's irresistable) from HF has suffered in gasoline. Pisses me off, since it appears to have all the markings and standards on it.
The shrink tubing I've used from HF has held up decently to abuse and heat, but I've not exposed it to solvents yet. Works great for light duty stuff.

Thanks for the warning, I'll use the higher end stuff for anything where it might see solvents.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:31 AM   #206
tgeliot
Topher

Oddometer: 1,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by dox View Post
The shrink tubing I've used from HF has held up decently to abuse and heat, but I've not exposed it to solvents yet. Works great for light duty stuff.

Thanks for the warning, I'll use the higher end stuff for anything where it might see solvents.
I bought some 4' lengths of the heat shrink tubing that has adhesive inside from somewhere but have only use a little bit and it's only been in there for a couple of months, and not exposed to solvents. I think it was about $1/foot. I can dig out the vendor if anyone wants. They have a $25 minimum order, but also sell a lot of other wire-related stuff, including UV-resistant tie wraps. I want to get some smaller heat shrink from them, but am held off by that minimum order.
1) Coroner's report is to read "Death by misadventure."
2) Dixieland jazz band at my funeral.
tgeliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 04:56 AM   #207
Old_Lion
Crotchety Biker

Oddometer: 2,909
Mover's Dolly

On Sale for $8.99
on page 2 of the sale flyer
http://www.harborfreight.com/retail-flyer

http://widgets.harborfreight.com/wswidgets/tabviewer/webDisplayItem.do?itemnumber=93888

Have you used/tried these?

George

Plug and Plug.
Old_Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 08:04 AM   #208
mfp4073
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Lion View Post

Have you used/tried these?

George
Have seen them, but never used them. They look ok in person. You cant buy wheels to make your own for that price.
1974 BMW R90/6 Bettie #1, 04 Triumph Bonneville
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Blank
loner, lonegunman, get it. That’s the whole point. I like the lifestyle, the image. Look a the way I dress.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil View Post
Cavemen must've designed them shortly after inventing the wheel.
mfp4073 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 08:57 AM   #209
Tweaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Lion View Post
Yes, I have 2. They are the smaller size. They do what they are supposed to do.
Old 03-09-2011, 02:59 PM   #210
Sir Not Appearing
That's no ordinary rabbit

Oddometer: 1,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweaker View Post
Yes, I have 2. They are the smaller size. They do what they are supposed to do.
I have a pair of those and they work great. I've moved quite a few things on mine and they have held up well.

As far as junk at Harbor Freight, their tail pipe expanders are crap. They are only meant to be used to round out pipes that have crushed areas from clamps but even doing that mine stripped the bolt out on the first use.
2003 Ford Focus SVT
Sir Not Appearing is online now   Reply With Quote