Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2011, 02:06 PM   #181
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,474
Thanks for the Hi Res shots. I like it. Just the thought of the light weight / huge torque motor has a definite appeal.
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 02:08 PM   #182
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by basque View Post
Good article on HFL about the NEED for the MOTUS to be better looking.

http://hellforleathermagazine.com/20...sign-strength/
I'm not a subscriber to HFL, what do they go on to say?

Wasn't there a survey of bike buyer's factors in deciding to purchase bike X and something like 80% of buyers bought a bike based on its looks? I can't remember the details, but I recall how surprised I was the high percentage..

At any rate, this bike will most likely never be sold in Canada, but a digital speedometer that can be switched from mph to km/h is encouraging.
Old 03-08-2011, 02:12 PM   #183
bhkami
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt View Post
I'm sure the MOTUS folks are real keen to take stlye advice from the same blowhards who've been pimping hideous, poorly assembled chinese shitbikes on their paid subscription blog for the last year.

http://hellforleathermagazine.com/20...yclewerks-ace/
Article was written by Michael Uhlarik, not wes or grant. He's a motorcycle designer/consultant who sometimes writes opinion pieces on HFL. Not sure exactly what he's designed, but a quick google says the Yamaha TZR 50, MT-03 and 2003 YZF-M1.
bhkami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 02:21 PM   #184
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy View Post
Really? You can dish it out, but no one else is allowed...

Style is subjective.. some like the looks, some don't. It just appears to some of us who want to like this bike that they put all their resources in the mechanicals but not much into styling.. and as we all know, when it comes to bikes, looks are important and are a key factor in the bike buying decision.
Yup.

And legions of marketing wonks backed by corporate millions to remind and inform of "zee korrect schtyle" if your taste begins to falter and stray.

Witness: 80% of riders happy to choose a ride in the the same manner their wife buys a skirt.

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 02:26 PM   #185
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,408
I really like this bike. I like the look of it, the idea of it and the engineering behind it. If they can bring it in around the $20,000 mark I'm in.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 02:40 PM   #186
viajero
Too old to be a nOOb

Oddometer: 2,209
I like the concept, awaiting the final execution. Does look promising.

But WHERE'S THE DAMN BEAK?
viajero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 02:51 PM   #187
JJGeo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
Tough crowd. I think it looks great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhkami View Post
Article was written by Michael Uhlarik, not wes or grant. He's a motorcycle designer/consultant who sometimes writes opinion pieces on HFL. Not sure exactly what he's designed, but a quick google says the Yamaha TZR 50, MT-03 and 2003 YZF-M1.
If those are his claim to fame, then OK. The M1 is the only decent looking bike in the group IMO. Styling is subjective though.
WMRRA #98
JJGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 02:55 PM   #188
apessino
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
Yup.

And legions of marketing wonks backed by corporate millions to remind and inform of "zee korrect schtyle" if your taste begins to falter and stray.

Witness: 80% of riders happy to choose a ride in the the same manner their wife buys a skirt.

Well... not everyone is as enlightened as you are.

In any case, I don't know what you are getting all bent out of shape about. I think everyone wants these guys to succeed and greatly admire their effort (including the HFL guys). I don't think it is ugly at all - actually, it seems elegant and understated. My point was simply that it seems a bit too understated.

New bike, new exciting tech, first American company making a non cruiser in ages, blah blah... you'd want the styling to be a bit more aggressive and personal, especially if you are hoping to compete in the price space these guys are most likely going to go for. If it were me running the company, I'd rather be polarizing than anonymous, especially when I am a new marquee without any kind of prestige or racing history.

Put this next to a Sprint GT and show them to someone who is not on top of all things motorcycling and, well, they will likely not think one is more special than the other. Put it next to a Multistrada 1200 (just an example, pick something else if you like) and there is no chance they will not be moved by the Ducati's design. They might hate it, or they'll love it, but chances are they will not be indifferent to it. My gut feeling is that a lot of people will be indifferent to the design of the current Motus - its current styling does not get my blood rushing. It looks functional and well proportioned, but it is lacking in inspiration, in pizazz. Even a splash of color here and there would help a lot - right now it's all gray and more gray. Maybe production bikes will sport a more lively livery.

I could very well be wrong, and maybe their next model will be much more aggressive since they are going for a naked roadster rather than a tourer, and maybe the thing will ride so awesomely well nothing else will matter.
Old 03-08-2011, 03:12 PM   #189
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starwarrior View Post
Can we just focus for a minute?

Oh, and this too:

Some things I notice when I look at these pics: The front fairing neatly mimics the Givi V35's. I don't know if they're planning on including a "chin" to the fairing, as was in the original sketch. I also think it's interesting that they put V35's on the bike; they're certainly a popular bag, and Kawasaki, Suzuki, Aprilia all use them as "factory" luggage on some of their models (Ninja 1000, Bandit 1250ST, Mana, respectively). The drawback is that unlike other factory luggage systems (BMW, Yamaha FJR, Kawi C-14), the givis leave behind an unsightly (to some) tubular rack. Perhaps these are simply part of the prototyping process, but with the fairing styled as it is, the implication is otherwise. I'm curious to see her with her "pants down."

Also, for those in the Daytona Area, this bike will be at the Progressive IMS at the Ocean Center at 1400 on 10-Mar-2011. Admission is free as it was last year.*

* Of course last year it was free because all the big manufacturers are at the Speedway with their free demos, and all that was at the IMS last year were Zero Motorcycles (with free demos, though), stretched 'Busas and ass-less chaps. So it will be worth showing up to be there at 2 o'clock.
I like it. I like the organic lines. It'll look good in red!

An American Sport-Touring motorcycle with a torque-monster V4!

I'd love one of these for the type of riding I do! ( I would like some beefy crash bars to protect the exhaust, though ).

Oh, and the Givis? I'd prefer them over proprietary bags any day. More versatility.
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
“Just keep playing, no matter how weird it gets.”

rocker59 screwed with this post 03-08-2011 at 03:32 PM
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 03:14 PM   #190
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
Yup.

Not really, when BMW recently tried the vertical headlight arrangement as the face of the 1200ST, and by all accounts it was an excellent sport touring bike, its polarizing styling eventually doomed it and the bike was discontinued.

I hope the Motus succeeds, but some of us find its styling bland and apparently so does a moto styling expert writing for HFL. Ultimately, its retail price will be a key factor in its success. Time will tell.
Old 03-08-2011, 04:09 PM   #191
funhouse
Overdue

Oddometer: 3,044
Not sure...........

I hope the Motus succeeds, but some of us find its styling bland and apparently so does a moto styling expert writing for HFL. Ultimately, its retail price will be a key factor in its success. Time will tell.[/QUOTE]

A couple items to consider: Lots of enthusiasts are keen to 'buy American' and I want to see the Motus in something other than silver. Look at the new Pikes Peak MS Ducati. I'm guessing the Motus they show at Daytona will not be silver. Bruce

http://picasaweb.google.com/funhouse750
funhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 04:20 PM   #192
HarveyMushman
commutingmysentence

Oddometer: 16,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy View Post
I hope the Motus succeeds, but some of us find its styling bland . . .
You see bland, I see understated, which is far superior to the various abominations rolling out of other factories these days. The only thing denting my enthusiasm for the Motus is the (assumed) likelihood that it will be priced beyond my means.

photo galleries
HarveyMushman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 04:22 PM   #193
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,088
While I don't think the styling is groundbreaking, I do think silver is a lot of the problem. I'd like to see it in more exciting colors.

Having said that, the styling certainly wouldn't stop me from buying it. But then again, I've owned an R1200 RT and a yellow 1150 GS I'm most concerned about how the design of the fairing affects airflow, again referencing my purchase of multiple BMWs over the years (including the butt ugly 1200) because no one handles air management like BMW. So I'm really hoping that the styling - while not groundbreaking - is effective at its primary job of keeping the rider in a non turbulent, relatively quiet bubble, while keeping engine heat channeled away. In fact, I'm seriously interested in test riding and possibly purchasing this bike, provided it hits the market significantly below the 30k + price point I'm afraid it is going to debut at.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 04:23 PM   #194
Crow
Corvid

Oddometer: 1,288
Flashy is trashy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarveyMushman View Post
You see bland, I see understated, which is far superior to the various abominations rolling out of other factories these days. The only thing denting my enthusiasm for the Motus is the (assumed) likelihood that it will be priced beyond my means.
+1, flashy is trashy.
Old 03-08-2011, 04:31 PM   #195
Against The Wind
I'm older now but still runnin'

Oddometer: 1,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crow View Post
+1, flashy is trashy.

Ducati's styling is flashy... I wouldn't say it's trashy.