Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2011, 04:38 PM   #91
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 10,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott26 View Post
2005 SV1000S

Just got done making a custom trunk rack for it with a Sears top case... at the powder coater now.
you live in SB?

Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 06:25 PM   #92
scott26
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatpasta View Post
you live in SB?

How did you know

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
scott26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 08:07 PM   #93
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott26 View Post
How did you know

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

only a local would know given the pics you posted.....

Quote:
Old 03-08-2011, 09:49 PM   #94
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon

Oddometer: 1,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by williefast View Post

Jimmy the Heater: 200 mile day?? This is easily done before lunch for me. Throw away that gel seat or somethin. I like to ride mine in rallys.
Oh yeah...I know I need to get rid of the seat but I haven't found a replacement that I've liked more than what's on there

Corbin? Contoured cement
Sargent? Not much better
Ricks? Never tried one
Russell? Looks like it would suck for any kind of side to side movement on a twisty road.

I can do 500 to 750 mile days on the Ninja 250 and 500 no problem and 400 isn't really a problem on a 750 Ninja that I borrowed. All on stock seats. I know I'm not the problem the seat is. Will continue my search and try to test sit as many aftermarket seats as I can find.
Jimmy the Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 09:31 AM   #95
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

for the life of me, Ill never know why people complain about their seats so much.
I did four days on the SV from Los Angeles to Monterey and back and the seat never really bothered me. The only thing that did was the cramped riding position.

The previous owner of my GS spent a bundle on a Mayer seat for it and I enjoy that saddle but it seems that everyone I know has aftermarket seats on whatever they own. Does everyone suffer from DGS but me?

Quote:
Old 03-09-2011, 02:37 PM   #96
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatpasta View Post
for the life of me, Ill never know why people complain about their seats so much.
I did four days on the SV from Los Angeles to Monterey and back and the seat never really bothered me. The only thing that did was the cramped riding position.

The previous owner of my GS spent a bundle on a Mayer seat for it and I enjoy that saddle but it seems that everyone I know has aftermarket seats on whatever they own. Does everyone suffer from DGS but me?

The cramped position can be eased with some bar risers and Buell pegs.

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 03:01 PM   #97
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo66 View Post
The cramped position can be eased with some bar risers and Buell pegs.

ehhh, its cool. I bought a sportbike - id like to keep it that way. Im sure its more comfortable, but is it going to be $400 more comfortable?
I like the aggressive riding position to a degree - its purposeful for sure. Even after a four day trip it wasnt that bad, but from now on I think ill keep the GS for touring duties.

Quote:
Old 03-28-2011, 01:09 PM   #98
gtbensley
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 263
How mine currently sits. Hopefully have it back togeather soon.

Old 03-28-2011, 05:49 PM   #99
jfurf
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 942
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy the Heater View Post
Oh yeah...I know I need to get rid of the seat but I haven't found a replacement that I've liked more than what's on there

Corbin? Contoured cement
Sargent? Not much better
Ricks? Never tried one
Russell? Looks like it would suck for any kind of side to side movement on a twisty road.

I can do 500 to 750 mile days on the Ninja 250 and 500 no problem and 400 isn't really a problem on a 750 Ninja that I borrowed. All on stock seats. I know I'm not the problem the seat is. Will continue my search and try to test sit as many aftermarket seats as I can find.
One thing that made a huge difference for me is the right undergarment. I really like the Under Armor wicking undershorts and pants.
jfurf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 12:03 AM   #100
Süsser Tod
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfurf View Post
One thing that made a huge difference for me is the right undergarment. I really like the Under Armor wicking undershorts and pants.
I use bycicle riding shorts under my leather pants...

Yet I find the seat to be... lacking. It's not really awfull compared to other MC seats, just average. The problem is that average doesn't cut it on very long days.
Süsser Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 06:51 AM   #101
ganze
apocalyptic defender

Oddometer: 444
I have buell pegs on mine and it made a noticeable difference. got the bars and clamps to do the cheapo riser conversion when I get the time to do it. That will make another difference.

I gotta say though, that the seat is murder for me, although not enough to buy another one. It's just wide enough to dig the edges in and just narrow enough to make sure that there's lots of pressure on those edges.

will take off the cover and reshape when I have the time.

On another note:

I think that the sv1000s could be a poor man's multi strada with the right suspension components. A tad bit longer shock, extend the front travel an inch or so, risers, buell pegs and it could handle a gravel road better than it currently does and would not make it a train wreck in the handling department b/c I would be keeping the same geometries and basic layout. I am due for a rear shock rebuild soon and will explore my options for adjustable length. but I have come up short on lengthening the front travel by an inch. the early svk's were not cartridge forks and could adjusted 1 inch longer with different top out springs. My 07 is a cartridge for and it's not really that plausible. Any ideas for the forks? I guess I could find some early forks and call Traxxion to see my options. I am not interested in a long travel full on adv build, I am interested in giving it a little bit longer legs and making it a bit more predictable on a non-paved road.

btw, if you want to tell me how shitty it will be and that I might as well buy a multi strada if I want one: Got it and thanks in advance for that great advice. if I could buy a new bike right now I would and in any case, making something in the garage is part of the sport.
Old 03-29-2011, 03:34 PM   #102
kobudo28
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganze View Post
I have buell pegs on mine and it made a noticeable difference. got the bars and clamps to do the cheapo riser conversion when I get the time to do it. That will make another difference.

I gotta say though, that the seat is murder for me, although not enough to buy another one. It's just wide enough to dig the edges in and just narrow enough to make sure that there's lots of pressure on those edges.

will take off the cover and reshape when I have the time.

On another note:

I think that the sv1000s could be a poor man's multi strada with the right suspension components. A tad bit longer shock, extend the front travel an inch or so, risers, buell pegs and it could handle a gravel road better than it currently does and would not make it a train wreck in the handling department b/c I would be keeping the same geometries and basic layout. I am due for a rear shock rebuild soon and will explore my options for adjustable length. but I have come up short on lengthening the front travel by an inch. the early svk's were not cartridge forks and could adjusted 1 inch longer with different top out springs. My 07 is a cartridge for and it's not really that plausible. Any ideas for the forks? I guess I could find some early forks and call Traxxion to see my options. I am not interested in a long travel full on adv build, I am interested in giving it a little bit longer legs and making it a bit more predictable on a non-paved road.

btw, if you want to tell me how shitty it will be and that I might as well buy a multi strada if I want one: Got it and thanks in advance for that great advice. if I could buy a new bike right now I would and in any case, making something in the garage is part of the sport.
Or you could just buy a Strom.

I'm thinking about another road bike and the SV1000 (naked) is at the top of my list right now, that or a stripped down Strom. There are no SV1000's for sale locally right now. The Strom is probably a better choice given the ever worsening roads here in NH.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:27 AM   #103
jesse v
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 205
New to the forum; here's my '04. Will be adding an LSL bar kit soon.

jesse v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 01:14 PM   #104
D.T.
One wheel wonder...

Oddometer: 9,662
Laugh

I'm looking to trade mine for a Wee strom, KTM ADV or SMT inf'n anybody is interested.
Attached Images

D.T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 05:34 PM   #105
matt86m
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Prospective buyer

Here is an '05 with 18,000 miles on it, Two Bros pipe, Factory full faring kit and Competition Werks rear fender eliminator.

I am thinking about buying but I am concerned about the forward lean. 5 shoulder surgeries and I like a more upright riding position.

Just read thru this thread and have a couple questions:

Which Buell pegs?
Which bars risers/Heli bars/ Would like up and back?
With the risers do I have to change lines?

The owner is a friend, he bought it new and is super anal about his 5 bikes.

and what would you say was a fair price???

Thanks guys.
Attached Images

matt86m is offline   Reply With Quote