User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 84 votes, 4.95 average. Display Modes
Old 03-08-2011, 04:58 PM   #4186
T-Stoff
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 659
Of course looking good is nice but gameplay is still paramount for me. After PSX, many of the games developed put out only graphics as their main forte, leaving gameplay just equal if not mediocre or even worse compared to their earlier editions.

Most present day multi-disc games still leave me unsatisfied with the action/ story while earlier single disc games sufficed. I feel all that memory and hardware were utilized only to give me a good picture.

So long as gameplay is good, I wouldn't care if I got to play it on a GameBoy screen.
T-Stoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 05:15 PM   #4187
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 4,994
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Stoff View Post
Of course looking good is nice but gameplay is still paramount for me. After PSX, many of the games developed put out only graphics as their main forte, leaving gameplay just equal if not mediocre or even worse compared to their earlier editions.

Most present day multi-disc games still leave me unsatisfied with the action/ story while earlier single disc games sufficed. I feel all that memory and hardware were utilized only to give me a good picture.

So long as gameplay is good, I wouldn't care if I got to play it on a GameBoy screen.
This is why Arma 2 OA is popular. The graphics are the best but they're good enough. The game supports mods and is very mod friendly because of it. It's more about those you choose to play with. Also because of it's complexity and the need to match mods with the server, it keeps the kiddy's away.
Old 03-08-2011, 05:36 PM   #4188
Jeffy
Hmm...

Saw this in my searching and though I'd pass it along.

http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-P...B4/ref=sr_1_3?

It has a 3 year warranty instead of the lifetime but EVGA is one of the best. There is also a $20 rebate. - $139.99
Old 03-08-2011, 10:28 PM   #4189
tattewell
Mad Poser

Oddometer: 756
Pull the trigger Jeffy... I've been running SLI since it came out, and I really havent had any problems with it, that was back in the 7800GTX days.

Currently Im running 2x 280 GTX's in SLI and contimplating an upgrade as well.

I have had 0 driver issues, and 0 game compatability issues. Maybe im just lucky?
tattewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 08:42 AM   #4190
Jeffy
Hmm...

I think I've made my choice. I'm gonna go with the EVGA 560 Ti in SLI. It costs more then I wanted to spend but then there's more value in it. I might see if I can sell my EVGA GTX 280 SSC to help or else I'll just keep it and put it in my Nephew's computer.

On a similar note;

Seems AMD couldn't wait and has announced the HD 6990. Reviews are already out as well. No, I won't be buying one. Especially at $699. I can't imagine anyone running out to buy two for CF, although I'm sure there will be some.

Read - HardOCP
Read - AnandTech
Read - Tech Report
Read - PC Perspective
Read - techPowerUp!
Read - Hot Hardware
Read - Hexus

http://www.amd.com/us/products/deskt...-overview.aspx

• PCI Express® based PC is required with one X16 lane graphics slot available on the motherboard
  • 750W Watt or greater power supply with two 150W 8-pin PCI Express® power connectors recommended (1000W and four 8-pin connectors recommended for AMD CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode. 1200W recommended for optimal performance).
  • Certified power supplies are recommended. Refer to http://ati.amd.com/certifiedPSU for a list of Certified products
  • Minimum 1GB of system memory
  • Installation software requires CD-ROM drive, a keyboard, a mouse, and a display
  • DVD playback requires DVD drive and a DVD
  • Blu-ray™ playback requires Blu-ray drive and a Blu-ray disc
  • For an AMD CrossFireX™ system, a second AMD Radeon™ HD 6990 Graphics card, an AMD CrossFireX™ Ready motherboard and one AMD CrossFireX™ Bridge Interconnect cable is required
  • Use of 3 or more displays with AMD Eyefinity technology requires a DisplayPort-capable panel or an AMD Eyefinity validated dongle. See http://www.amd.com/EyefinityDongles for a list of validated DisplayPort dongles.
Specifications

• Default (BIOS1)
    • Up to 830MHz Engine Clock
    • 5.10 TFLOPs Single Precision compute power
    • 1.27 TFLOPs Double Precision Compute Power
  • Overclocked (BIOS2)
    • Up to 880MHz Engine Clock
    • 5.40 TFLOPs Single Precision compute power o 1.37 TFLOPs Double Precision Compute Power
  • 4GB GDDR5 Memory
  • 1250MHz Memory Clock (5.0 Gbps GDDR5)
  • 320 GB/s memory bandwidth (maximum)
  • TeraScale 3 Unified Processing Architecture
    • 3072 Stream Processors
    • 192 Texture Units
    • 128 Z/Stencil ROP Units
    • 64 Color ROP Units
    • Dual geometry and dual rendering engines
  • High Speed 256-bit GDDR5 memory interface
Old 03-09-2011, 09:52 AM   #4191
ThePikeman
German n00b

Oddometer: 4,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy View Post

Seems AMD couldn't wait and has announced the HD 6990. Reviews are already out as well. No, I won't be buying one. Especially at $699. I can't imagine anyone running out to buy two for CF, although I'm sure there will be some.
Is that drool dripping down your chin?

On that note... Tomorrow is the day for Dragon Age II.
Assassins Creed Brotherhood should be out on the 17th.
ThePikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 10:56 AM   #4192
Jeffy
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePikeman View Post
Is that drool dripping down your chin?

On that note... Tomorrow is the day for Dragon Age II.
Assassins Creed Brotherhood should be out on the 17th.
Actually no. I pulled the trigger and ordered two Evga GTX 560 Ti's.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:39 PM   #4193
Jeffy
Hmm...

And not even a 24 hrs after I place my order.

Double the Win

Introducing the EVGA GeForce GTX 460 2Win! This card harnesses the power of two EVGA GeForce GTX 460 GPU’s for blistering fast DirectX 11 performance, including tessellation performance that destroys the competition. Experience a whole new level of interactive gaming and combine up to three displays off a single card for the ultimate in 3D entertainment, or disable Surround and combine up to four displays for maximum productivity. With these features and more, the EVGA GeForce GTX 460 2Win gives you double the win!

System used: Intel 990X, EVGA X58 Classified3, 6GB DDR3 Memory, Windows 7. 3DMark 11 Settings: Performance
System used: Intel 990X, EVGA X58 Classified3, 6GB DDR3 Memory, Windows 7. Unigine Heaven Settings: 1440x900, 4xAA/8xAF, Tessellation Normal, Shaders High.
EVGA GeForce GTX 460 2Win
Part Number 02G-P3-1387-AR
Core Clock Speed 700MHz
Processing Cores 672
Memory Clock Speed 3600MHz
Memory Bandwidth 230.4GB/sec
Shader Clock Speed 1400MHz
Bus PCI-E 2.0
Interface DVI-I, DVI-I, DVI-I, Mini-HDMI
Product Warranty Limited Lifetime warranty
upon registration
Product Length 11.5in - 292.1mm

Coming soon!

Old 03-10-2011, 10:35 PM   #4194
tattewell
Mad Poser

But can I SLI them?
Old 03-10-2011, 11:09 PM   #4195
Jeffy
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tattewell View Post
But can I SLI them?
Sure looks like it.

Old 03-11-2011, 02:03 AM   #4196
tattewell
Mad Poser

Me Rikey!!!
Old 03-11-2011, 09:14 AM   #4197
Jeffy
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tattewell View Post
Me Rikey!!!
That was the only problem with the 460 series that I found. They only supported 2-way SLI so you couldn't add a 3rd or 4th card.
Old 03-13-2011, 06:12 PM   #4198
XPADREX
Funslinger

Oddometer: 7,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaPoser View Post
I haven't got around to doing the live part of the xbox yet. is it worth it?
Absolutely it is- if you enjoy meeting people, engaging in competitive play with others, and have a thick skin.

I like tactical, team-based games- and some of the guys I play with have become good friends. Whoulda thunk people you only encounter online could seem so real?

P.S. Anyone else getting "Homefront"?
Old 03-13-2011, 07:29 PM   #4199
BeeCeeGS
WeaponOfMassDestruction

Oddometer: 1,790
OK, so I got a PS3 at Xmas for the BluRay and it came with Resistance 2. The game was good entertainment, and I enjoyed blasting my way through the game.

Not sure what to get next? I have a little more free time, so wouldn't mind something more involved, but would still prefer to do some shooting.

Any recommendations? I'm thinking I'd like Red Dead Redemption...or something more sci-fi??
Old 03-13-2011, 07:36 PM   #4200
Bonnie Abbzug
Property of Hayduke

Oddometer: 10,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeCeeGS View Post
OK, so I got a PS3 at Xmas for the BluRay and it came with Resistance 2. The game was good entertainment, and I enjoyed blasting my way through the game.

Not sure what to get next? I have a little more free time, so wouldn't mind something more involved, but would still prefer to do some shooting.

Any recommendations? I'm thinking I'd like Red Dead Redemption...or something more sci-fi??

Fallout 3, or Fallout New Vegas, if you haven't played them already! I've heard good things about Red Dead, but haven't tried it myself yet.
Bonnie Abbzug is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: