Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-26-2010, 07:02 PM   #61
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,652
Pablo, got a title? Sell it to someone to make a rally bike.
a1fa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 03:21 PM   #62
Pablo83 OP
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Oddometer: 4,784
Well crap...

I'm finished with all the big stuff on my winter project, so it's time to get the paperwork done on the Transalp so I can start working on it. I went by the DMV and got a copy of the current "Title established by surety bond" checklist. The first step is to get a certified VIN inspection. I had the Sheriff over today to do it, but he can't do one on a non-roadworthy (non-running) motorcycle. So essentially I can't get a title for this bike (salvaged title or regular) until after I'm done with the build. I really can't put this kind of effort into a bike that I don't own yet. I'll need to find another solution.
Pablo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 04:01 PM   #63
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,652
Maybe try through a different state. In Arkansas, State Police does the inspections.

V
Old 03-11-2011, 02:47 PM   #64
toslow
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
Pablo it's not hard to get a title in Colo I got one for a BSA that i'm gonna restore you can get a "rebuilder's title"which puts the bike in your name and you have indefinitely to rebuild it you have to get the paper work from the DMV and your right the sheriff cannot do the vin inspection you have to take the bike to the state patrol they do it and run a check to see if it's stolen you also have to have a bike shop give you an appraised value and you have to have a "shurity bond" for it which cost about 100 bucks Bank of the West did the bond for us here in Grand Junction then take it back to the DMV and the issue you a title and when you get done rebuilding it you have to take it back to the State patrol and they inspect it for road wothyness and the stat issue a title hope this helps
toslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 02:52 PM   #65
Pablo83 OP
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Currently, to get a rebuilder's title, the vehicle has to be 25 yrs old. I would have to wait another three years on this one to be eligible. But I appreciate the input anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toslow View Post
Pablo it's not hard to get a title in Colo I got one for a BSA that i'm gonna restore you can get a "rebuilder's title"which puts the bike in your name and you have indefinitely to rebuild it you have to get the paper work from the DMV and your right the sheriff cannot do the vin inspection you have to take the bike to the state patrol they do it and run a check to see if it's stolen you also have to have a bike shop give you an appraised value and you have to have a "shurity bond" for it which cost about 100 bucks Bank of the West did the bond for us here in Grand Junction then take it back to the DMV and the issue you a title and when you get done rebuilding it you have to take it back to the State patrol and they inspect it for road wothyness and the stat issue a title hope this helps
Old 04-07-2011, 12:25 PM   #66
Pablo83 OP
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Updates

I finally got around to sending a message to Schmoo regarding the title. Hopefully I can get that taken care of in the next couple months.

In the mean time...
I bought another motorcycle, a 1983 Honda Shadow 750. This was the first year the shadow was produced. The following year the US placed tariffs on bikes 750cc's and bigger so Honda sleeved the bike down to 600.

This is the same engine that the Transalp is based on. Someone suggested that the 750 crank would fit in the Transalp. On microfiche, the cranks from the two bikes look completely different. I guess we'll find out if they are interchangeable. This would give me a true 750cc engine for my RS750 replica.

The Shadow I bought was at a dealership in Greeley. It was $700, running. I'm a few hours away so I bought it over the phone, just from the salesman's description (smart, huh?). I have a month to go get it. Anyone want to drive it down for me?
Old 04-11-2011, 07:44 AM   #67
brucifer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo83 View Post
I finally got around to sending a message to Schmoo regarding the title. Hopefully I can get that taken care of in the next couple months.

In the mean time...
I bought another motorcycle, a 1983 Honda Shadow 750. This was the first year the shadow was produced. The following year the US placed tariffs on bikes 750cc's and bigger so Honda sleeved the bike down to 600.

This is the same engine that the Transalp is based on. Someone suggested that the 750 crank would fit in the Transalp. On microfiche, the cranks from the two bikes look completely different. I guess we'll find out if they are interchangeable. This would give me a true 750cc engine for my RS750 replica.

The Shadow I bought was at a dealership in Greeley. It was $700, running. I'm a few hours away so I bought it over the phone, just from the salesman's description (smart, huh?). I have a month to go get it. Anyone want to drive it down for me?
Cool. Those '83 750 Shadows made some pretty good power.

One point of correction, they went from 750cc to 700 not 600. Just enough to skate by the tariff.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:33 AM   #68
Pablo83 OP
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucifer View Post
Cool. Those '83 750 Shadows made some pretty good power.

One point of correction, they went from 750cc to 700 not 600. Just enough to skate by the tariff.
Yes, it looks like they didn't go down to 600 until '88, I guess they wanted to make a bigger gap between the Shadow 750 and the Shadow 1100.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:30 PM   #69
Pablo83 OP
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Things seem to be moving along. I've been in touch with Schmoo, nice guy. He says he used to ride the bike on a lot of singletrack near Telluride. Wow! That's a big bike for Telluride singletrack. He also thinks one of the cylinders is loosing compression.
Old 04-16-2011, 10:31 PM   #70
Pablo83 OP
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

I picked up the 750 today. It's in rough shape. There's some sort of epoxy on the head that I assume is preventing an oil leak. There's coolant seeping out of the head gasket. It has big problems idling. But my biggest worry is all the differences between this engine and the Transalp's: hydraulic clutch, 6spd tranny, different cases, different heads with different exhaust, etc. I sure hope I can convert this to chain drive and fit it in the Transalp frame. I've got a lot of work ahead of me.

Old 11-18-2012, 09:09 PM   #71
Pablo83 OP
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Update

First a recap for those of you who can't remember where I was on this project:

It all started when Trevor gave me a Transalp.

I wanted to build an RS750 replica from it:

I read somewhere that you could take a shaft drive Honda Shadow 750 and convert it to chain drive using the Transalp transmission and maybe some case parts. So I bought a Shadow 750 with the intention of using this engine in the TA frame with the chain drive conversion.

Well shortly after I bought the 750 I found a $400 GR650 at the pawn shop...

... and decided it would be great practice for building a flat tracker. It turned out awesome:

It's a blast to ride and I got some international attention for it: http://sideburnmag.blogspot.com/2012....html?spref=fb

Based on the fun I had building the GR I entered a bike building contest:
http://the-greasy-dozen.tumblr.com/

And I'm told I'm a finalist, but they really haven't made anything official yet. If I am one of the 12 winners I will have 4 months to build a custom bike. I told them I would be building a Honda RS750 replica from an old Transalp. I'm used to spending a year and a half building a bike so I decided to get a head start on the competition...

Pablo83 screwed with this post 12-06-2012 at 07:08 AM
Old 11-18-2012, 09:15 PM   #72
Pablo83 OP
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Today I pulled the shadow 750 in. It's accumulated a little dust since I parked it.

(hey, what's that in thebackground?)

...well, after a lot of engine examination an online parts research, it's been determined that the Shadow 750 and the Transalp 600 engines have nothing in common. The VT750C engine has a lot more in common with the VT1100C. There is no way this engine will fit in the TA and that chain drive conversion crap I read online somewhere is completly wrong.

Pablo83 screwed with this post 11-18-2012 at 09:31 PM
Old 11-18-2012, 09:39 PM   #73
Pablo83 OP
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

So now what?

I really wanted to build a 750. I'm not all that inspired to build a 600cc street tracker. The GR650 has the same power as the TA and it weighs less so I don't think the TA tracker would be any more fun to ride. Although it should have better off road ability. I've found the GR doesn't take to catching air very well (yes, that's oil all over the ground.)

I'm really disappointed that the VT750C engine won't work. I think this engine looks great.

Anyone know where i can find a cheap Africa Twin?
Old 11-18-2012, 09:41 PM   #74
Hotmamaandme
Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer: 2,668
Well keep the brainstorm transplant swap conversion going

Jimmy Lewis quote: "Those KLRs are full of potential. Just takes a rider..."
Hotmamaandme is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:57 PM   #75
Pablo83 OP
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1fa View Post
Pablo, got a title? Sell it to someone to make a rally bike.
Okay, okay; I give.

For sale: 1989 Honda Transalp project bike. Clean CO title. Everything in the pictures is included plus another bucket of random parts. $250 OBO.