Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2011, 03:21 AM   #796
Kyazak
Gamera!!

Oddometer: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
OK, when pressed I can be serious.
I want to apologize again, I came in here and rammed into a conversation, and then insulted people and got angry when I got an answer I didn't like. I am glad that we pushed past that. Thank you for still giving me advice, and offering to help despite that shameful behavior of mine MikeB.

Secondly, I am usually the "diplomat"(I know that seems unlikely) whenever me and my fiance run into new groups, but in an interesting dichotomy with my fiance. She usually handles talking to any of the Officials (health care, Insurance, Embassy) that we deal with because she has a good head for business and has the ability to communicate really effectively with those individuals. I usually interact with any new individuals in our social circles, and more often than not we usually deal with our respective tasks well. That being said though, I have been to enough places where the males were assholes to females, by my standards not theirs, and I always dismissed it by saying that it wasn't my girl, so it wasn't my worry. I have since gotten more in the habit of paying attention, especially with the amount of diplomats we have had to talk to recently with our trips to Germany and Austria. we have been researching different areas so far, and I am confident we can handle Munich and Berlin, because those are both heavy tourist traffic cities (comparatively), and after we have been there a while and have a better grasp of the cultural queues that no book can ever teach you. For the American Cross Country trip we are doing, we have pretty much figured on traveling for the most part through the night or twilight and then sleeping during the beginning of the day until the afternoon. That's what we hope at least. But for anywhere there is a city we want to stop in and enjoy, like Vegas, DC, or LA, then we will find a place to stop in and refuel and resupply. Now that's our tentative plan. Once we are out of country we are going European for the most part, maybe take a trip down the border once or twice to see good sites, and I definitely want to see Teotihuacan once. Part of the reason, is because in Germany so far, they have been nothing but polite and nice, and the instances of what i consider rude, has always been something I could deal with and stay calm about. I know that may change, but its a more calm culture shock and a slow buildup to where I want to be. The bar thing though has been hammered into me at this point, I almost never really go out, and I am never comfortable drinking in public unless I know the group I will be around. I am still a sip on a nice glass of Bahrenjaeger and Coke all night with a cigar kinda guy.

River City is located east coast, in Richmond, VA. But my fiance and I are going up north in the next 3-4 weeks to DC and then from there, after we drop some more stuff and save some more money, are taking the trip cross country and then over to Germany and Austria for The Urals Rallies, and settling in Germany again, but just as a place to put our feet up between trips with good friends there.

Kyazak screwed with this post 02-22-2011 at 03:28 AM
Kyazak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 08:57 PM   #797
Patrick46
visionary

Oddometer: 2,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyazak View Post
For the American Cross Country trip we are doing, we have pretty much figured on traveling for the most part through the night or twilight and then sleeping during the beginning of the day until the afternoon. That's what we hope at least. But for anywhere there is a city we want to stop in and enjoy, like Vegas, DC, or LA, then we will find a place to stop in and refuel and resupply.
Hmmmmm...I don't understnd this thinking.

Why travel cross country at night?? You'll miss seeing this great & beautiful country of ours!

www.artworks-unlimited.com
Patrick46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 07:10 AM   #798
MikeB
Retired bureaucrat

Oddometer: 510
Yeah, my MO on a long trip is to get up at 0-dark-thirty, gulp a little coffee and get on the road while traffic is still sparse and the summer weather still cool. Then after an hour or two I'll stop for a leisurely breakfast. At that point I've got a significant portion of the day's travel under my belt and it seems like just starting out fresh again after breakfast.

Because of this early start I can stop early and see the sights, or dawdle and sightsee along the way and still finish by later afternoon, and time for a bottle of wine and dinner. Checking into motels early also has the advantage of finding more vacancies in peak season.

Of course, I'm a morning person and this may not work for everyone.
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 07:33 AM   #799
FlyingDutchman
Dirt Biker

Oddometer: 858
I like to stealth camp. One of the biggest benefits of touring on a KLR is that you can just pull off the road and tuck in behind the bushes or a motel and pitch your tent.

This activity isn't always appreciated. But What they don't know, won't hurt em, and I try to set up just before dark. In the morning, I guage my comfort level and sometimes make a camp breakfast, and sometimes I'm gone before sunrise.

I have stretched the odd day into the dark and I always regret what scenery I missed....Then again, the dark brings out special scenery in the form of moose standing in the middle of the road and deer darting out at you.
FlyingDutchman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 06:10 PM   #800
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,408
I have found dawn patrol is great in all aspects of life, surfing, first chair snowboarding, adventure riding. Seems like the most successful people get on it early.

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 07:22 AM   #801
MikeB
Retired bureaucrat

Oddometer: 510
Quote:
I like to stealth camp. One of the biggest benefits of touring on a KLR is that you can just pull off the road and tuck in behind the bushes or a motel and pitch your tent.

This activity isn't always appreciated. But What they don't know, won't hurt em, and I try to set up just before dark. In the morning, I guage my comfort level and sometimes make a camp breakfast, and sometimes I'm gone before sunrise.
And underneath a picnic table in a public park is a nice solid overnight shelter if you don't mind the food scraps on the ground. I used to do a lot of that "target-of-opportunity" camping -- wrapped up in a serape on northern Mexico desert, even on a golf course to be awakened by an early foursome (sand traps make a soft bed).

I'd like to say I look back on those days with fondness, but the actual feeling is more like retrospective horror. It's Days Inn for me now, that's for sure, Best Western if I'm feeling flush.
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 11:11 AM   #802
ILikeToThump
I'll Ride Anything.......

Oddometer: 722
WOW...looks like this thread took a HUGE BUZZKILL...
"You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. "
Adrian Rogers, 1931
ILikeToThump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 12:04 PM   #803
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,259
travelling at night in the USA

Can be dodgy depending ont he area and time of year. Lots of wild animals love the road at night and they have no idea what that shiny light is coming at them at 100kmh. Hell, they don't even know what Kilometers are, since the animals here go by Miles .

Also, I have been travelling late and had the gas pumps (even though fully electronic with credit card readers) turned off on me because it was after midnight. Seriously, I started pumping gas at 11:59pm and then Click, no more gas. Fortunately I got enough to get to the next gas station that was open 24 hours.

So, avoiding animals and accidents may be worth the day time travel. Not to mention being able to actually see the sights.
SilkMoneyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 09:44 AM   #804
Brunssd
Potemkin villager

Oddometer: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkMoneyLove View Post
Can be dodgy depending ont he area and time of year. Lots of wild animals love the road at night and they have no idea what that shiny light is coming at them at 100kmh. Hell, they don't even know what Kilometers are, since the animals here go by Miles .

Also, I have been travelling late and had the gas pumps (even though fully electronic with credit card readers) turned off on me because it was after midnight. Seriously, I started pumping gas at 11:59pm and then Click, no more gas. Fortunately I got enough to get to the next gas station that was open 24 hours.

So, avoiding animals and accidents may be worth the day time travel. Not to mention being able to actually see the sights.
And the drunk factor needs to be taken into account - much higher drunk driver census at night. Throw the animals into the mix and it keeps me off the road at night except the odd pre-dawn sortie when you are usually only dealing with the animals.
Old 03-12-2011, 11:41 AM   #805
mpanther
KotW - Just Ride!

Oddometer: 1,036
I love dong the night thing. but only if I have a Ton of miles to get through.
If i need to be over 8hrs away asap, then i prefer to swap my schedule a bit and leave the house at 8pm or so.
And I will stop for a nape somewhere near 1am and sleep for ~3 hours.
and then get back on the road.

This puts me on the road after rush hour, and with little to no traffic for the next 7+ hours of riding.

I also try and estimate my leaving and arrival of large cities to avoid major commuting times.

I find by traveling at these hours I can get 30% farther in the same time with less stress and hassle.

You don't get to see much, but if you are droning down the freeway with a bunch of cars and trucks, you don't see much in daylight either.

If i am taking back roads, state routes and two lane hwy, I much prefer daylight hours.

ad·ven·ture n.
1. Participation in exciting or hazardous experiences.
2. An undertaking of a questionable nature.
3. An undertaking of a hazardous nature.

'83 GL650swi "My Little Grey Lady"
'86 LS650 Milady's bike
mpanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 08:07 PM   #806
Super Suz OP
N00b with B00b

Oddometer: 1,556
Looks like this thread has taken off again. Great! I hope there is some type of inspiration for everyone. Thanks to all who have posted your responses and to those who posted additional questions and requests for feedback.

I just found out that I will not be receiving a pink slip in March. Now I wait for August to see if there is a major financial crisis so bad that I have a pink slip handed to me then. Let's see what Gov Brown and the California republicans do in June. But that is for another thread.

This thread is for Laid off people turning Ex Pats and living on the CHEAP. Fantastic ideas for the laid-off (or just sick of it) and changing lifestyles to fit their new view of the what is important to live a great life, either in their same country or a totally new one.

On top of that, there's this really cool re-vamped military truck being renovated into a home. That Pirate site that had me fixed to my computer for an hour. Now I lost two hours today!

Meanwhile, I save....and save..... and save...
Member of the Oakland Motorcycle Club. In town? Come visit us on a Weds night. We love show and tells! Want to speak about your trip or motorcycle topics in the Bay Area of Northern California? We have a club hall. IM me. If you give us enough notice and if we like your topic, you can come and speak. We have room for others to come and listen too.
Super Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 10:07 PM   #807
mpanther
KotW - Just Ride!

Oddometer: 1,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Suz View Post

I just found out that I will not be receiving a pink slip in March. Now I wait for August to see if there is a major financial crisis so bad that I have a pink slip handed to me then.

Meanwhile, I save....and save..... and save...

Don't worry.

I'm sure you will get tossed out on your ear soon.

ad·ven·ture n.
1. Participation in exciting or hazardous experiences.
2. An undertaking of a questionable nature.
3. An undertaking of a hazardous nature.

'83 GL650swi "My Little Grey Lady"
'86 LS650 Milady's bike
mpanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 06:05 PM   #808
larrylarry75
Aye Chihuahua

Oddometer: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben99r1 View Post
At 44 Ill will finished paying of my house. That's 6 years from now. That will give me 21 years to save every cent I can. At 60 I plan to get a truck and camper with a hitch motorcycle carrier. Ill drive around the states for 5 years. Based out of my California home. Then at 65 when my ssi kicks in I am heading down south. Ill go wherever the road takes me. If I find somewhere I like ill just stay. That has always been the plan for me since the first time I went camping in a camper. That was in 1983 with my friends retired grandparents. I knew then that was the way I wanted to end up too. Ben
Ben it all sounds so good, I hope it happens just the way you're thinking. In case it doesn't you might be well advised to have some alternate plans in place. Just in case....
larrylarry75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 08:03 PM   #809
larrylarry75
Aye Chihuahua

Oddometer: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpanther View Post
Good Luck Bucky!

Ya Might want to look into a bunch of ebaying and Garage sales over the next 9 months. I know it would take me at Least that long to dump all the Extra stuff i have.
A buddy of mine sold his house a few years back. At the time he decided it would be easiest to leave everything including two cars and a house full of furniture, etc. so that's what he did. He took the money and stuck it in the bank and never looked back. These days he's living with his girlfriend and they're both selling real estate in this depressed market. His dream of wandering the country was shattered awhile back when he fell off a stupid 6' step ladder in his garage. The fall really screwed him up and although he's recovered a lot he still has a weak arm and can't ride any longer. Some times life is the shits isn't it? Looking at his situation from the outside I can't help thinking "If it were me I'd do such and such" but I'm healthy and my world looks rosier than his. I guess those of us who are able and lucky enough and have the desire should be out there doing instead of wishing. I'm retired and I ride every day including today when it was raining. I expect I'll continue for the rest of my days or at least until I fall off a goddamn ladder.
larrylarry75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 08:10 PM   #810
O'Hooligan
Ken Dodd's dads dogs dead

Oddometer: 634
As John Lennon said "Life, is what happens while you are busy making plans"!
O'Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote