Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2011, 09:30 AM   #91
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,690
Huffy Dudes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilNinjaDog View Post
Dude the only person making this about HDs is you. Give it a rest.

"How do HD clubs pick their "road captains?" (rantish)"
Old 03-15-2011, 09:53 AM   #92
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilNinjaDog View Post
Riding today there is a string of about 30 HDs all with loud pipes rumbling along a four lane highway with center turn lane. There are three guys with bright suits on that say "road captain" on the bike -- one at front, one in the middle and one in the back. THis whole string is in the left (passing) lane and doing 5 MPH under the speed limit then randomly speeding up to 5-10 over then slowing down again.
A long time ago, someone realized more than one bike was safer, and the rules of group riding were born. The problem is that people read the first part, but stop there and don't read the part that says "if you have more than some number bikes, split into multiple groups."

"Some number" is usually 6-10.

In this case they could have had three groups of 10 bikes, named three sweep riders, and DND would have grumbled about it a little then gone on his way.

As for picking on cruisers- I won't name a brand- they violate the group riding rules above. And they have riders of differing skill, which tends to slow down the group (the whole group, not just a sub-group with weake... sorry, differently skilled, riders). Then they find it's easier to stay to the left, so they violate the rules of the road.

If you ride a cruiser, recognize that quite a lot of people who ride lots are disdainful of people who buy a motorcycle as a lifestyle accessory- and the brand everyone loves to pick not only capitalizes on that, they've made their name doing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerk View Post
It probably wasn't a MC if they were going that slow.
Not a 3-piece patch club, no. Harley Owner's Group, STAR, CMA even, quite probably. Although I'll note that the Brothers Speed did a fine demonstration of why proper spacing is a Good Thing(tm) a couple years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverand Roadblock View Post
Ok.Just know that I will still have a pepsi with any one of you and judge you by your character, not your motorcycle.
Pepsi? You can have mine. Coke Zero, thanks. Though I'm more likely to wait until I'm done riding for the day and find an interesting beer.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 11:29 AM   #93
Josephvman
I'm the Decider

Oddometer: 3,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meriden View Post
Talk about the real scurge of the rural byways, bicycles. I was making the Fayetteville, Frelsburg, New Ulm, Sealy run last Sunday and passed too many people in identical glittering spandex riding four abreast. Looked like the Tour de France without the multi bike crashes. Even the cars with bikes on the back were going under 30. I must have crossed the double yellow ten times.

Of course I'm on a big dual sport going 65 so the sport bike guys are blowing by me. And everybody waved except that one guy with the coal scuttle helmet and the guys on the Cannondales.
The bikes are bad out there, and I ran across a big group on 529 Sunday, spilling across the center line when there were no cars coming in the other lane. My policy is to honk before I pass and make sure I've got their attention. If they think I'm a dick, so be it, but I'd rather they think I'm a dick than to try to pass a group of them and have one of them jump in front of me.
'93 Ducati 900SS "Slightly older whore"
"Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"
Josephvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 12:00 PM   #94
Tall Man
Freelancer

Oddometer: 987
Quote:
Originally Posted by crash228 View Post
(B)eing an owner of a BMW and a Harley, i try to appreciate everyone out there on 2 wheels. Unfortunately I have to deal with other riders thinking i'm either a "wild hog" or a "rich snob", depending on what i'm riding that day.
With respect to owning a Harley and living in Reading, I'd have thought you'd have an easier time with it. Berks County has had a decades-long love affair with Corvettes and Harleys. Especially the former.
Old 03-15-2011, 12:07 PM   #95
Disco Stu
I'm Barry F'n Gibb!!

Oddometer: 5,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanCT View Post
I don't get the whole "keep the gigantic group/formation together at all costs" thing. What is wrong with riding your own ride and meetin up at a prearranged place and time?

Group riding sucks. Group destinations are fun.
no one else is gonna know how cool you are if you ride by yourself. it's groupthink self-adulation.
Disco Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 12:12 PM   #96
Disco Stu
I'm Barry F'n Gibb!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garandman View Post
In fairness, I've also had a BMW blast past me at about 20mph faster than me: then pull over in the next town a few miles down the road. Dick.
Why are you certain that he planned to pull over a few miles up the road at the time he passed you? Maybe something came up. Maybe he was in a big freakin hurry because he had diarrhea and didn't want to shat in his riding pants.
Old 03-15-2011, 12:19 PM   #97
Disco Stu
I'm Barry F'n Gibb!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerx2 View Post
Part of the fun of the motorcycle culture is the escape into that alternate reality. When I ride my BMW I wear the technical gear, take on more 'adventuresome' rides, etc. On my CBR's I wear race inspired gear and don't have any of my electronic gizmos. On the BMW I play the adventurer, the sportbikes I play road racer (but ride the streets like a granny). HD guys go out and play "bad boy". Unfortunately playing bad boy normally includes being an ass somewhere along the line.
you need to figure out who you are and learn to be happy with it. riding a motorcycle is just a really fun, interactive way of getting somewhere, not a therapy session for your personal disfunctions or a license to act out your fantasies.
Old 03-15-2011, 12:23 PM   #98
Disco Stu
I'm Barry F'n Gibb!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerx2 View Post
To understand the reasons you just have to understand the goal... It's all about being a pain in everyone elses ass. The whole deal is to pretend to be a Hell's Angel, nothing more and nothing less.
I am not advocating violence here, but if you're out riding with the intent to piss some one off, don't go crying to anyone except the closest mirror when someone does get pissed off and retaliates.
Old 03-15-2011, 01:28 PM   #99
RNYC
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverand Roadblock View Post
Unless of course I'm riding the right bike. Then you guys will like me. Right? Right??
No.

Maybe if you lose the goatee.

Eh, nah.

I'm kidding, of course. As I was with the spelling - though that's just kind of sad...

RNYC screwed with this post 03-15-2011 at 01:44 PM
RNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 01:41 PM   #100
Tall Man
Freelancer

Oddometer: 987
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverand Roadblock
Unless of course I'm riding the right bike. Then you guys will like me. Right? Right??
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNYC View Post
No.

Maybe if you lose the goatee.

Eh, nah.
Our man Roadblock is actually rockin a Van Dyke.
Old 03-15-2011, 01:45 PM   #101
Meriden
Yea whatever

Oddometer: 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josephvman View Post
The bikes are bad out there, and I ran across a big group on 529 Sunday, spilling across the center line when there were no cars coming in the other lane. My policy is to honk before I pass and make sure I've got their attention. If they think I'm a dick, so be it, but I'd rather they think I'm a dick than to try to pass a group of them and have one of them jump in front of me.

After the MS 150 they will thin out some. By the time May rolls around they will all be back in the AC. I think that the law requires them to ride no more than two abreast and then only when they do not impede traffic.

The only way to live forever is to give up everything worth living for.
Meriden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 01:47 PM   #102
echo15
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 388
Here in Florida there is no left lane being a passing lane rule. It was passed by the legislature several years ago, but vetoed by then Governor Bush because he thought it would confuse the older drivers!!!

If that confuses them, just think what else would.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:29 PM   #103
runrowdy
Lurking Less

Oddometer: 103

runrowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 03:21 PM   #104
Paulie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 288
A few years ago while in the cage I got behind a new type of ahole group. 6 of em, going -5 to -10, hogging (blocking) both lanes of a long quiet hiway w/o crossroads...on freeking sportbikes. Despite a long cage queue, horns, flashing brites, etc, it took em >25 miles to move over.

Douchebags, all of em.
Paulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 03:47 PM   #105
RetroG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanCT View Post
I don't get the whole "keep the gigantic group/formation together at all costs" thing. What is wrong with riding your own ride and meetin up at a prearranged place and time?

Group riding sucks. Group destinations are fun.
Amen
RetroG is offline   Reply With Quote