User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2011, 11:25 PM   #1
Motodisiac OP
Moto Terrorist

Oddometer: 3,461
District 37 Racers and Curious Thread

I always feel bad posting in someone else's thread (sorry Eatpasta and CramerTV) so I decided to start my own. It seems there are more and more people participating, thinking about it or just watching the progress of fellow ADV racers. So now we have official place to ask newbie questions, share thoughts and post reports of D37 races. Bring it on

Next race - Dirt Diggers Desert Scramble at Spangler My body is working on making it there, who is in?

Ducati Multistrada 1200 S - Adventure, Commuting, Track, Fun
CRF450X - Dirt Toy
Motodisiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 11:24 AM   #2
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 9,811
Awesome.

this sport is in dire need of more people supporting it. Plus the fact that it's amazing to participate in these races. The more people we can get to race the better!!
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 11:31 AM   #3
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

and for the people that dont know, District 37 puts on desert races in Southern California. They are an absolute blast and if you have never tried one, you should! It doesnt matter what bike you have, just come out and have a bash!
Smaller displacement bikes are better, but people have raced KTM 990's in the past.... its not advisable.....

here's a great video of a Le Mans start..... and typical desert racers

Quote:
Old 03-15-2011, 02:01 PM   #4
SoKal
Rider

Oddometer: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motodisiac View Post

Next race - Dirt Diggers Desert Scramble at Spangler My body is working on making it there, who is in?
There is an even better D37 event before Diggers. That is Prospectors Enduro. I think a time keeping enduro is beter for the ADV rider as it takes more brain then balls. And as I get older my brain does have control more and more.

got any questions about Enduro's PM me or ask right here
Old 03-15-2011, 02:07 PM   #5
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoKal View Post
There is an even better D37 event before Diggers. That is Prospectors Enduro. I think a time keeping enduro is beter for the ADV rider as it takes more brain then balls. And as I get older my brain does have control more and more.

I have always wanted to do one.... they just never seem to be at the right time for me. does that mean I shouldnt enter one if thats what they are all about?
Quote:

eatpasta screwed with this post 03-15-2011 at 02:14 PM
Old 03-15-2011, 03:02 PM   #6
Motodisiac OP
Moto Terrorist

I was also curious about racing enduro. Will I be able to run it without any specific equipment? It is any fun NOT to time keep? I'm not in a position to buy expensive computer right now, but I can install stock odometer back

D.

Quote:

CRF450X - Dirt Toy
Old 03-15-2011, 03:57 PM   #7
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Quote:
I was also curious about racing enduro. Will I be able to run it without any specific equipment? It is any fun NOT to time keep? I'm not in a position to buy expensive computer right now, but I can install stock odometer back

D.
just get a rope and tie knots in it.... and as you ride........

Quote:
Old 03-15-2011, 05:10 PM   #8
SoKal
Rider

Quote:

D.
Will I be able to run it without any specific equipment? Yes this is why I said ADV riders would be a good fit because most have bikes with an odo. That is the big $$$ to add to a MX bike.

As long as you can adj the ODO back or forward a tenth of a mile you are good to go with the stock ODO.

Now for the big $$$ roll chart holder the same one used for dual sport rides about $10-$15 most places. And a watch from Target if your eyes are as old as mine the bigger the display the better another $10 spot.

Now bolt it all the bike and load it up in the truck. Head out to Trona RD Saturday morning for the Family Enduro. The pace for the 1st loop will be slow enough that you will be able to learn what all the guys at sign up told you about. Then the next loop will be a little faster ECT, ect.

Then you will be ready for one loop on sunday

Now as you can tell from my spelling and gramer I am not the brightist bulb on the string you guys should kick ass
Old 03-15-2011, 08:36 PM   #9
metal
President of FRONJ

Oddometer: 162
Quote:

D.
I'm a B level Enduro rider and don't even own a computer. I usually ride on a minute with a fast A rider. Just stay on his wheel and you're good. I did the Prospector's Enduro last year. The first loop was pretty whoopy. The second loop wasn't as difficult as most D37 races I've done.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:28 PM   #10
Motodisiac OP
Moto Terrorist

But what happens if you feel you are faster than A rider in front of you? To me racing someone and passing is the most exciting part, and it seems like in enduro you mostly race against the clock.

I guess I will have to try it one day.

D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal View Post
I'm a B level Enduro rider and don't even own a computer. I usually ride on a minute with a fast A rider. Just stay on his wheel and you're good. I did the Prospector's Enduro last year. The first loop was pretty whoopy. The second loop wasn't as difficult as most D37 races I've done.

CRF450X - Dirt Toy
Old 03-15-2011, 11:31 PM   #11
Motodisiac OP
Moto Terrorist

Saturday Family Enduro definitely sounds like way to go. My body is still aching from Sunday get off, but I'm down for next enduro event.

D.

Quote:
Will I be able to run it without any specific equipment? Yes this is why I said ADV riders would be a good fit because most have bikes with an odo. That is the big $$$ to add to a MX bike.

As long as you can adj the ODO back or forward a tenth of a mile you are good to go with the stock ODO.

Now for the big $$$ roll chart holder the same one used for dual sport rides about $10-$15 most places. And a watch from Target if your eyes are as old as mine the bigger the display the better another $10 spot.

Now bolt it all the bike and load it up in the truck. Head out to Trona RD Saturday morning for the Family Enduro. The pace for the 1st loop will be slow enough that you will be able to learn what all the guys at sign up told you about. Then the next loop will be a little faster ECT, ect.

Then you will be ready for one loop on sunday

Now as you can tell from my spelling and gramer I am not the brightist bulb on the string you guys should kick ass

CRF450X - Dirt Toy
Old 03-16-2011, 10:12 AM   #12
MotoMike
Washed Up Desert Racer

Oddometer: 4,918
Quote:
But what happens if you feel you are faster than A rider in front of you? To me racing someone and passing is the most exciting part, and it seems like in enduro you mostly race against the clock.

I guess I will have to try it one day.

D.
I am going to miss Prospectors, going to Idaho for the national. As SoKal said, the first loop is usually pretty easy. They will throw in a special that will take points from the C, and maybe some B riders. It's tougher than you might imagine. At times it will seem like you are just trail riding, and suddenly you are on the gas and trying to stay on time. I think it was Prospectors last year, we rode for probably 10 miles at a 24 mph average through really easy terrain going out on the 2nd loop. It was hard not to wick it up, but that's what they want you to do, and then they throw in a check when you least expect. Enduro guys are some sneaky bastards
Old 03-16-2011, 01:09 PM   #13
farrington300
No wait....What?

Oddometer: 495
1st race question

Looking to enter my first race. The d37 prospectors looks about as non threatening as possible, however I wont be able to make that one. Which event would be similar. Most of the other posted events don't have digital flyers.
farrington300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 02:12 PM   #14
SoKal
Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by farrington300 View Post
Looking to enter my first race. The d37 prospectors looks about as non threatening as possible, however I wont be able to make that one. Which event would be similar. Most of the other posted events don't have digital flyers.
The Prospectors Enduro is a "time keeper" type enduro this sunday. there will not be another D37 points paying "time Keeper" enduro till after the summer.

However I belive there is a Family Enduro on the Saturday May 14th and that should be a time keeper.

the differance between time keeper and qualifier. the qualifer format is the same marked corese but when you get to a check a check worker will hold you till your min comes up then you are timed to the next check fast guy wins.

the time keeper you are given a speed avg to avg for a set mileage then a differant speed avg. you are given the speed avg sheet days before the event so you can covert it . Convert it to mileage and time from a free software programe or buy a roll chart from sign up. with the roll chart and your bikes ODO and a watch you will ride along checking your milage and time to stay as close to on time as you can.

this is just a quick bit about the differances there are some links with better info then my ramblings
Old 03-16-2011, 02:24 PM   #15
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,111
http://www.icoracing.com/ has great computers but a little known fact is KTM around 03-04 on 625s and 525s has similar computers that have speed average speed, countdown, mileage, clock, stopwatch odometer hour meter etc and everything for about the same price point but with more features . Maybe can pick one up on ebay and a speedo pickup is not that hard of a mod..

Me.. I like staggered start- aggrigated time racing but may see you guys out at an AMA sometime this or next year.. but I would lean toward a GP.. Hell I ride enduro at home weekly..

great thread for AMA racers!!
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote