Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Trials
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2011, 08:04 PM   #91
Charla OP
Tamalamian

Oddometer: 25,973
Grownups should not be allowed to have so much fun.
Charla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 09:28 PM   #92
Charla OP
Tamalamian

The Monty has a taste for denim.

and flesh.
Old 03-17-2011, 06:40 AM   #93
Bonnie Abbzug
Property of Hayduke

Oddometer: 10,339
I hope it hasn't eaten too much flesh chica!

Where are the vids of you playing around?
Bonnie Abbzug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 01:48 PM   #94
VertigoCycles
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
I found some stuff from around Y2K on an old hard drive. This was just before Echo and Koxx started distributing widely, before trials specific parts were easy to find and while a UCI legal stock bike still had to have six "working" gears and a seat.

A bash/spider/ring combo I designed to integrate with XTR 952 cranks.

What happens to a King cog right before it breaks into several pieces

Like my "shifter"

there are six cogs, one's hiding behind the King.

one of many pad compounds I tested and developed in conjunction with 5.10
VertigoCycles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 08:09 PM   #95
Charla OP
Tamalamian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VertigoCycles View Post
I found some stuff from around Y2K on an old hard drive. This was just before Echo and Koxx started distributing widely, before trials specific parts were easy to find and while a UCI legal stock bike still had to have six "working" gears and a seat.
I really don't know very much about bicycles at all but even I can tell that that is cool.

Did you dust off the old trials bike yet?
Old 03-21-2011, 12:09 PM   #96
Charla OP
Tamalamian

Just got back from a little over an hour riding at the park, worked on trying to find the rear wheel balance point on the Monty. I got there a few times but for the life of me I cannot stop involuntarily hitting the "eject" button.

My brain is saying "Sweet!" as I watch my hands let go and the bike hits the ground. I'm such a chicken.

Had one crash and smashed my kneecap on the stem pretty hard. That one took a few minutes to walk off. I guess it's a good thing I already had a bruise there.

I can pivot on the front wheel 360 degrees going right (little hops obviously) but I can barely go left at all.
Old 03-21-2011, 02:29 PM   #97
o0synge0o
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
You might look into a decent set of knee and elbow-pads to protect the pointy bits, knee-caps are pretty easy to break .

I find myself getting injured more on low speed bike and moto stuff than high speed, but then again I fall over more often doing really low speed stuff so maybe it's just a numbers game...

Great thread!
o0synge0o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 03:02 PM   #98
VertigoCycles
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charla View Post
Just got back from a little over an hour riding at the park, worked on trying to find the rear wheel balance point on the Monty. I got there a few times but for the life of me I cannot stop involuntarily hitting the "eject" button.
It takes a while to overcome what your brain is telling you to do. The more you work at it, the more the movements will become automatic. Good thing practicing is as fun and rewarding as it is.

Quote:
My brain is saying "Sweet!" as I watch my hands let go and the bike hits the ground. I'm such a chicken.
eh...it happens. When I first started riding I broke just about everything on the bike but the frame itself. It's part of learning to dump it every once in a while and most of the time the bike will be fine.

Quote:
Had one crash and smashed my kneecap on the stem pretty hard. That one took a few minutes to walk off. I guess it's a good thing I already had a bruise there.
I know the instinct is to wear more protection but then you're not addressing the root of the problem which is usually a need for more aggro pedals and stickier shoes.

Quote:
I can pivot on the front wheel 360 degrees going right (little hops obviously) but I can barely go left at all.
that's typical, you'll figure it out. look further over your shoulder and remember...envision your hips going from where they are to where they need to be.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:34 PM   #99
rediRrakaD
Whoopdie do

Oddometer: 670
O.K. Here's my current ride...

That's a 1917 Hudson the Norco's leaning on.
Norco is built with Reynold's 853 tubing (LIGHT).
Can't find a pic of my old Ibis 24/20... just traded it for parts to build a DJ (Dirt Jump) bike.

Those that want to build on the cheap. Stay away from WallyMart and find a quality used small Mtn Bike (full sized, 26" wheeled) strip off the 2 larger front rings/ derailleur and start having fun!!
(Check out the brakes!!!)
After years of Bicycle Trials... getting used to my (new to me) 280 TXT has been an amazingly fun challenge.
Thanks to Charla for starting this one!!
Cheers,
S.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:24 PM   #100
Charla OP
Tamalamian

Quote:
Originally Posted by o0synge0o View Post
You might look into a decent set of knee and elbow-pads to protect the pointy bits, knee-caps are pretty easy to break .

I find myself getting injured more on low speed bike and moto stuff than high speed, but then again I fall over more often doing really low speed stuff so maybe it's just a numbers game...

Great thread!
I'm thinking I may go ahead and order the G-Form knee guards to go with the shin guards I already have. They are lightweight and should take the edge off of the hard impacts.

Quote:
It takes a while to overcome what your brain is telling you to do. The more you work at it, the more the movements will become automatic. Good thing practicing is as fun and rewarding as it is.
It was scary fun to practice that stuff, I think that's why I like it so much.

My comfort zone is definitely expanding so I'm able to keep pushing for a little more.

Quote:
eh...it happens. When I first started riding I broke just about everything on the bike but the frame itself. It's part of learning to dump it every once in a while and most of the time the bike will be fine.
I've been throwing motorcycles on the ground for nine years now, I'm really good at it.

Quote:
I know the instinct is to wear more protection but then you're not addressing the root of the problem which is usually a need for more aggro pedals and stickier shoes.
It's interesting that you mention that. I was wearing my running shoes today and I pretty much immediately knew that the were the wrong choice but I didn't want to go home to change them. My feet were slipping all over the pedals. My Sketchers with anti slip soles are MUCH better for riding.

Quote:
that's typical, you'll figure it out. look further over your shoulder and remember...envision your hips going from where they are to where they need to be.
A couple of things here...

My right foot is my good foot and I've found that it's easier for me to bounce left if I switch to my left foot forward. Is this normal or a bad habit to get into?

I also realized today that I wasn't switching the direction that my front wheel was pointing and that was why I was losing my balance so quickly.

Thanks for taking the time to offer pointers and encouragement. I really appreciate it.

Charla screwed with this post 03-21-2011 at 11:04 PM
Old 03-21-2011, 10:32 PM   #101
VertigoCycles
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
A couple of things here...

My right foot is my good foot and I've found that it's easier for me to bounce left if I switch to my left foot forward. Is this normal or a bad habit to get into?

I also realized today that I wasn't switching the direction that my front wheel was pointing and that was why I was losing my balance so quickly.

Thanks for taking the time to offer pointers and encouragement. I really appreciate it.
I actually meant to mention that but my 2 yr old needed some attention. Since you're starting out, DEFINITELY try to learn things with either foot forward. You'll be much better off in the future for it.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:51 AM   #102
Charla OP
Tamalamian

Quote:
I actually meant to mention that but my 2 yr old needed some attention. Since you're starting out, DEFINITELY try to learn things with either foot forward. You'll be much better off in the future for it.
The nerve of that kid.

So many things to practice. It's hard to focus in the things you don't do well instead of the things you do.

I've got a big moto trials weekend coming up and I'm really excited to see if any of the skills I'm developing on the bicycle transfer over.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:02 AM   #103
o0synge0o
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Nice, I was going to ask how much has translated from the bicycle to the moto trials. Looking forward to hearing the results after the weekend.
o0synge0o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 12:54 PM   #104
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Oddometer: 5,674
Quote:
I've got a big moto trials weekend coming up and I'm really excited to see if any of the skills I'm developing on the bicycle transfer over.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:56 PM   #105
Gordy
Team Listo

Oddometer: 21,585
Quote:
Go BIG or go home!!
Gordy is offline   Reply With Quote