User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2010, 04:32 PM   #391
SoTxRattlesnake
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
FYI----additional starts today

Another successful startup at 3PM.... thats after sitting about 5 hours.
Then another one a few minutes ago........
To me, it looks like something is doing better than it has the past year or so. I just haven't had time to deal with the existing issues, but it looks promising. ALL THANKS TO THE INPUT ON THIS FORUM.
It'll be down into the 20's tonight and I will check it again in the morning....... we will see what that brings.
SoTxRattlesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 07:26 AM   #392
SoTxRattlesnake
Adventurer

Motorcycles are like Horses

Its been 5 days since my last post on here about the starting after the crank breather modification.
My bike has been sitting (unstarted) and nothing done to it.
The temperature is somewhere in the low 30's / high 20's.
I tried starting it and just like a horse that you haven't ridden in awhile, it snorted, farted, and kicked.
I can say (in my case) that this mod did not correct the "Multiple Start Syndrome".
On to step # 2............
The injector modification?
The "plug in harness" I read about?
Any suggestions?
Old 12-18-2010, 08:55 AM   #393
FinnDuro
Winter wonderlanding

Oddometer: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoTxRattlesnake View Post
Any suggestions?
Check your valve clearances?
Could be the intake valves are way too tight, perhaps, or slightly open all the time. Similar issue with a friend of mine, turns out the valves were out of spec inspite of low miles.
Old 12-24-2010, 03:55 AM   #394
SoTxRattlesnake
Adventurer

Valve Adjustment.... Anything extra?

While I know that there are tutorials out there for the valve adjustment for the X-bikes, is there anything else that I should be aware of before tackling this?
IE--- I have done the valves on my other bike and ended up cutting and modifying the top brackets so the head could be removed and replaced easier.
IE--- I have machined down specific tools to fit into the sparkplug recess.
IE--- I have had a spare seal on hand because I knew it would ruin the existing.

Nothing frusterates me more than to come across incidentals that keep me from putting it back together complete.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnDuro View Post
Check your valve clearances?
Could be the intake valves are way too tight, perhaps, or slightly open all the time. Similar issue with a friend of mine, turns out the valves were out of spec inspite of low miles.
Old 12-24-2010, 09:15 AM   #395
toofast4uu
adventurer

Oddometer: 972
If anyone has a link to these tutorials, please post them... I'm going to embark on mine as well..

Thanks and Merry Christmas to my extended X-challenge family!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoTxRattlesnake View Post
While I know that there are tutorials out there for the valve adjustment for the X-bikes, is there anything else that I should be aware of before tackling this?
IE--- I have done the valves on my other bike and ended up cutting and modifying the top brackets so the head could be removed and replaced easier.
IE--- I have machined down specific tools to fit into the sparkplug recess.
IE--- I have had a spare seal on hand because I knew it would ruin the existing.

Nothing frusterates me more than to come across incidentals that keep me from putting it back together complete.
Old 12-25-2010, 11:48 PM   #396
dirtsurfer
Challenged Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by toofast4uu View Post
If anyone has a link to these tutorials, please post them... I'm going to embark on mine as well..

Is this what you mean? - http://faq.f650.com/dvd/index.htm
Old 12-29-2010, 01:56 AM   #397
Lankbrown
No Pain No Gain

Oddometer: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by toofast4uu View Post

They are easy enough to check. You will need to have tube spanner or a 18mm spark plug socket turned down to external 24.5 mm. You will need an extension. I use the 3/8 flexable extention. Once you get the rocket cover off find TDC and if you need to replace a shim I would take it to the machanic. I took my bike stripped down to my BMW machanic and it cost me 1 hr labour and he through in the shim.

I noticed a difference in the bike immediately so hopefully it will help with your starting problems. My bike has done neally 50,000 k's and apart from the fuel pump issues it has never let me down.
Lankbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 10:40 AM   #398
wheeliehappy77
n00b

Oddometer: 1
any word on this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafman60 View Post
I have a problem that neither I nor the Atlanta dealer can figure out. My 09 XCo runs like a champ. It always starts-up briskly and never skips a beat.

The problem is that, intermittently, when I first turn-on the key, the display will go blank momentarily and a code will pop-up on the speedo readout that says A65. A split second later, the 888 comes up and it cycles-through normally and I hit the starter button and it starts just fine. All of the displays work fine except now everything stored in memory is set to zero, the clock, the odometeres, everything except the main odometer.
A couple of days ago, the entire instrument pod stayed blank while I started and rode the bike 5 or 6 miles. Once I turned the switch off and on again, everything worked fine.

I've checked the battery connections and they are tight. The dealer mechanic read the fault codes and says nothing shows up.

Anybody know anything ? What does "A65" mean ??? HELP
Ive got the same issue, did you get yours fixxed?
wheeliehappy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 06:53 PM   #399
Dukehunt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 730
Model: xChallenge
Year: 2007
ABS: No
Mileage at time of issue: approx. 6000KLM
Date of occurrence: Feb 6th 20011
Modifications (if any):Power for GPS, LV full system, TT Tank, side stand switch removed, others that will not impact issue.
Description of Failure(s): Bike will not start, bike we running returned home form ride, washed, started and run after washing, put in shed for 1 week, engine cranks nornally but does not start.
Resolution (if any): Fixed my problem, the plug on top of the fuel pump, sprayed and cleaned with WD40 including in the plug socket, and plugged it back in, turned on the ignition and I could hear the fuel pump.
All fixed
Reference Thread: NA

Dukehunt screwed with this post 02-07-2011 at 03:13 AM
Dukehunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 01:07 PM   #400
jtw000
Survivor

Oddometer: 548
I had an issue... It's only fair to post about it as it could happen to anyone so here is a heads up. Mine had been blowing Fuse D, she did it three times, once pulling up to my house, second time pulling away from the petrol station and again today while parking up. Fuse D controls Dash, brake switches and diagnostic plug. It also seems to effect the indicators. Anyway, I the front brake switch was not working and was only tested a few weeks before so i suspected that. Sure enough the wire had got stuck under the tank and a wire had broken and was shorting when i fully locked the steering to the right. Easy fix and now i've routed the wires for easier movement. I've got a country if that makes a difference. The wires are really tights on mine and needed a bit of attention. Might be worth a quick look.
Cheers for everyone who replied when i had my problem. Wiring is not my thing and this got me worried. I considered myself very lucky to just find a broken wire.
Me and the bike have had words. She promises to behave herself in the future and I promise to clean her once in a while and not look at sports bikes so often....(when she's about).
jtw000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 01:40 PM   #401
DESERT SCORPION
SINGLE TRACK

Oddometer: 123
X-challenge coolant loss

I have had my X-Challenge lose coolant from time to time. I always thought it was percolation from a hot motor right after shut off. Recently I have noticed that the level goes down while the bike is sitting unridden in my unheated barn. I had the bike in the garage for some maintenance and discovered coolant dripping onto the floor. It was coming from either end of the connector pipe above the exhaust header. Apparently the hoses have taken a 'set' and the clamping action of the cheap crimped-on hose clamps is now insufficient to maintain a good seal. Of course there is no way to tighten the clamps, so I replaced them all with quality stainless steel aircraft style clamps. Wow! No more leaks or loss of coolant.

THE SCORPION
DESERT SCORPION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 07:24 PM   #402
plumber mike
Soaking up Son shine

Oddometer: 2,545
I too have expierienced a loss of coolant. I have already replaced my clamps(crap, for sure!) I guess I don't know where it's going. I keep my bike in a heated garage and have noticed no leaking coolant.

Bad head gasket? I don't know and it didn't seem like enough to worry about, but it was about half of the overflow tank that came up missing. I really haven't checked as often as I should. I have already had a pinhole in the rad from a rock shot, but successfully repaired that. It could be a leak that only appears when hot.

Keep us posted,

Mike
Old 03-23-2011, 08:03 AM   #403
Max Kool
Xtankteam™

Oddometer: 3,229
About the bad starting on a hot engine.

Do any of you see a relationship between this issue, and valve clearance (too tight)?
Max Kool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 08:48 AM   #404
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumkin640 View Post
What will go wrong next on this POS.

Now the rear brake howls on every stop.
Cleaned the brake and put some brake grease on the back of the pads, but it still howls.
Use aftermarket pads, mine stopped howling immediately and has never come back. My oem ones were greased, sanded back etc by the dealer and it would be okay for a day or two and then it came back again. Fitted aftermarket pads and no more noise.

xronly
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 11:38 AM   #405
dustdonkey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
X-Country start-up code

Hi guys,
Bought a 2009 X-Country with 5k miles today. When I switch the ignition on there is a reading on the display "17" together with the "Wheel" icon on the right of the screen. This stays for about a second and then disappears. Bike runs perfectly.

What is this all about?
'58 R50
'85 R80G/S PD (sold )
dustdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote