Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2011, 03:39 PM   #661
blackfly911
Meat Popsicle

Oddometer: 167
The simple fact the K60 lasts a bazillion miles like some claim should be enough to say the tire compound will act like hockey pucks in sub zero conditions. There's a reason winter tires are a softer compound which gets eaten up faster in warm conditions.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:56 PM   #662
huckleberry
BACK ROAD BOMBER

Oddometer: 1,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfly911 View Post
The simple fact the K60 lasts a bazillion miles like some claim should be enough to say the tire compound will act like hockey pucks in sub zero conditions. There's a reason winter tires are a softer compound which gets eaten up faster in warm conditions.
i guess thats why the snow tires on my car have close to the same life as the allseason radials ihad on before them. I don't imagine that the mfg's DESIGN the tires to last a certain mileage do they?
Beta Techno
huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 06:06 PM   #663
blackfly911
Meat Popsicle

Oddometer: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by huckleberry View Post
i guess thats why the snow tires on my car have close to the same life as the allseason radials ihad on before them. I don't imagine that the mfg's DESIGN the tires to last a certain mileage do they?

Designed then that way? Nah, manufactures don't design tires based on the hopes a buyer needs to replace one every 3-5k or less.

Sarcasm aside, as a general statement... winter tires are a softer compound to provide some measure of grip in icy conditions. The K60 has been noted to be a somewhat ridged long wearing tire, indicative of a hard compound.

As stated in a multitude of posts here, there is no "do all" tire that is excellent in all conditions, it's just a matter of finding the best tire that suits the type of riding you do most of the time. As for the dual sport or 50/50 nomenclature, I agree with you, it's used too much and in a lot of cases it's purely marketing. However, you're comment seems to be based on winter performance rather than what the tire is capable of under the conditions the manufacturer intended. If they were a capable winter tire, you know they'd be marketed as such.
Old 03-23-2011, 03:49 AM   #664
Tor
Native Viking

Oddometer: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashback View Post
I don't ask too much out of a 50/50 tire and personally I don't think it's unreasonable to expect that one should safely operate in winter conditions like this...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=12093

Yes I decided to try the Heidi out in this storm too. Year round riding doesn't only apply in good weather (at least in my case).

I just think that the general tendency in ADV to label things as dirt oriented or dual sport or 50/50 is highly misplaced and over used. Products are labeled but not qualified. It's become a branding tool used in marketing an image not a function. I may not be the demographic majority but I could care less about the image. I want the function.
why are you playing around with K60's in the snow? Get the

you need for the conditions .

2005 Honda ST1300 / 2010 BMW F800 Gelände-Straße

Tor screwed with this post 03-23-2011 at 03:54 AM
Tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 01:34 PM   #665
Flashback
Mommys Lil Monster

Oddometer: 3,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrog View Post
Not trying to stir the pot, but over on the moto amore site they list 4 season Heidenau tires and the K60 is not listed as a 4 season tire.
I ordered mine before the whole Scout - non-scout issue became clear. I ordered K60s which Heidi corporate has listed (still) as a 4 season tire. I received Scouts.

I'll own up to part of the issue being my lack of clarification in the order but at the time the tires were only being sold as "K60".

Of interest, I did receive the 4 season winter K60 front with my Scout rear. The winter front is a superb and extremely long lasting front street tire.

But I felt that even the rear was good on cold wet tarmac. Never a hint of temperature related slip, even on painted lines at 31 degrees.

It's the medium that's the issue. Snow being obviously different than cold wet roads, was a challenge the Scout rear didn't live up to. The winter front did so much better in the snow than the Scout rear. It was night and day difference.

Heidi Corporate K60 Winter tire link --> http://www.reifenwerk-heidenau.de/mo...il=101&pic=107

At the time they had 140s listed here as well.

Flashback screwed with this post 03-23-2011 at 01:42 PM
Flashback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 01:37 PM   #666
Flashback
Mommys Lil Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tor View Post
why are you playing around with K60's in the snow? Get the ...
you need for the conditions .
It's hard to justify that for what may amount to 14 days total in a year that the roads are covered with snow.

Old 03-23-2011, 01:51 PM   #667
dendrophobe
Motorbike Junky

Oddometer: 857
Did anybody else cringe when they read the Road of Bones article in the new BMWMOA Owner's News when they started talking about their "Heindineau" tires?
2006 Ducati Sport 1000, Black
Custom built Ducati GT1000 Scrambler, Red

dendrophobe screwed with this post 03-23-2011 at 05:05 PM
dendrophobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 02:58 PM   #668
Flashback
Mommys Lil Monster

Didn't see the article. You have a link? I'd be interested in reading it. I've got work coming up in the Kuril islands and we'll be based out of Magadan so it's of interest. I plan to ride the road of bones solo.

NOT bringing a beemer or riding "dual sport tires" cough** I mean street tires.

DR650 on dirt tires for me, something that I can repair in a lawnmower shop and know won't have issues with fuel, the rocks, or the mud that it'll be riding in. I can't afford the thousands of dollars it costs to have a chase vehicle to carry enough extra parts to rebuild the bike in the case of a breakdown. We'll have a hard enough time setting up base camp in some of the places we're going as it is without needing to ensure that we bring a "specialty shop" with us.

Old 03-23-2011, 05:04 PM   #669
Flashback
Mommys Lil Monster

Note -> It occurred to me that my previous post might have sounded like a dig against BMW. It wasn't. I love my F8. Excellent bike. Fun to ride. Capable. Hands down does the job I need it to do.

Appropriate tool for the job and in the case of a solo trip down the road of bones, the F8, without a lot of extra expense and contingency planning or support, is not what I'd consider to be the appropriate tool for my trip. Plus, the idea of a solo ride with a support crew is counter intuitive.

In the Kurils we'll be operating solely on ATVs (no automobile capable "roads" where we're going) and the motorcycle I bring needs to at least minimally be able to operate under those conditions.

I'm actually thinking of going with something smaller than the 650, maybe a 450.

Old 03-23-2011, 05:09 PM   #670
dendrophobe
Motorbike Junky

Oddometer: 857
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashback View Post
Didn't see the article. You have a link? I'd be interested in reading it. I've got work coming up in the Kuril islands and we'll be based out of Magadan so it's of interest. I plan to ride the road of bones solo.

NOT bringing a beemer or riding "dual sport tires" cough** I mean street tires.

DR650 on dirt tires for me, something that I can repair in a lawnmower shop and know won't have issues with fuel, the rocks, or the mud that it'll be riding in. I can't afford the thousands of dollars it costs to have a chase vehicle to carry enough extra parts to rebuild the bike in the case of a breakdown. We'll have a hard enough time setting up base camp in some of the places we're going as it is without needing to ensure that we bring a "specialty shop" with us.
Unfortunately not, the only online content they have is for members, and I've never even tried to view it. It was nothing special though; they used a motorcycle tour company to do it, Ewan and Charley style with support vehicle and everything.

Your way sounds much more fun; that's something I hope to do one day.
2006 Ducati Sport 1000, Black
Custom built Ducati GT1000 Scrambler, Red
dendrophobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 03:13 AM   #671
lmclamore
Citation Collector

Oddometer: 404
"I'm actually thinking of going with something smaller than the 650, maybe a 450."

My friend zig-zagged all over North American on his Honda 350 in the early 70's. Nothing was DS and nothing was waterproof. Is was an adventure of a lifetime he still talks about 40 years later.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:28 AM   #672
Captain Beardylocks
travelling beardo

Oddometer: 7,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmclamore View Post
"I'm actually thinking of going with something smaller than the 650, maybe a 450."

My friend zig-zagged all over North American on his Honda 350 in the early 70's. Nothing was DS and nothing was waterproof. Is was an adventure of a lifetime he still talks about 40 years later.

This was at the end of my first cross country trip. How could I have know that it would, you know... rain?

thread hijack over.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:39 AM   #673
digdesign
Hack

Oddometer: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Beardylocks View Post

This was at the end of my first cross country trip. How could I have know that it would, you know... rain?

thread hijack over.
I don't know what it is about this photo, but it rules. It's gotta just be the lack of freaking farkels.
digdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 12:44 PM   #674
Apostolos
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 391
So far I like the new scouts.

A few days ago I installed a 140/80 scout rear and 90/90 21 front.

I just got back from an 800-mile trip down to southern California (it was all highway riding) and there was a discernable difference in the ride on the pavement.

I think it's a smoother ride with the change between the scout and non-scout.

I tooled around on my property (35-acres) and there seems to be no diminishment in off-road performance.

I actually have an old style 140/80 k60 rear that I'm thinking about selling in order to replace it with the new scout.

Hopefully, I will still get the high mileage out of the scout like I did with the old style.

God Bless,
David
Apostolos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 12:59 PM   #675
costinell_mc
adv

Oddometer: 34
The front tire is mounted opposite ?
I suppose the top of the arrow must be in the direction of the road?
I don't know if you understand me
Look at the front and rear tyre, the model of the tyre is not in the same direction
costinell_mc is offline   Reply With Quote