Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-24-2011, 03:18 PM   #1
pvangel OP
Team AARP

Oddometer: 2,192
Vintage MX, vintage body and bike

The story of a man and machine and his love for dirt bikes....
Ok... 1st race of the season in 8 days, alot to do to get ready! A Little background first.
I raced in District 34 in the 70's and quit in about 77? I didn't see a motorcycle for about 20 years while I grew my family and business but the love for the sport never left my mind. As my kids got a little older and had a bit of money I bought a BMW K75 from Q in Thornwood NY and although I loved it my heart was in the dirt. So I had a few GS's after that and did a bit of touring but could never stay off the dirt roads and my eye's were always on the woods....
I bought a Husky TE 400? figuring that some time in the woods would quench my motocross thirst but it only made me want to race again even more, so i did what any muture responsible person would do and purchased a KTM 520 mx bike because I always enjoyed the open class. Not a great bike to come back to the sport on but I did have fun on it and I started to learn MX which had changed quite a bit since the 70's....There were jumps! big ones!
I told my older brother that we were going to race again and that if his wife had a problem with it I would be happy to talk to here about it!
Well we both did start to ride again but those jumps were so intimedating that we just couldn't do them because in our minds the bikes still had 4" travel and we would certainely die if we came up short! So we took a lesson from a local pro who promptly told me I was way to fat to be doing MX and basically we were pussies for not doing them. There was a small double on the kids track that was maybe 8' apart that I just could not do so he stood on top of it and screamed at me until I did.

pvangel screwed with this post 03-29-2011 at 09:28 AM Reason: new title
pvangel is offline   Reply With Quote