Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2011, 06:28 PM   #7516
llamapacker
Mr. Conservative

Oddometer: 1,247
I for one am planning on 250 mi per tank at least. I already have a nice ride that stops around 200 miles! I don't mean pull off and start looking for gas at 200 miles, I mean you better be sitting in the station!

llamapacker screwed with this post 03-25-2011 at 05:28 AM
llamapacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 08:03 PM   #7517
MANXMAN
Overlander

Oddometer: 1,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapacker View Post
I for one am planning on 250 mi per tank at least. I already a nice ride that stops around 200 miles! I don't mean pull off and start looking for gas at 200 miles, I mean you better be sitting in the station!
Fast Bikes did a non-stop 1700 mile road ride with the Super Tenere and stated "at rapid motorway speeds it was dry after 140 miles"

Rapid speeds for 1700 miles probably means Interstate speeds in the US (70ish mph) so I doubt anyone will see 200 miles from a tank unless they are going considerably slower than that.
MANXMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 08:18 PM   #7518
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,249
Quote:
Originally Posted by MANXMAN View Post
Rapid speeds for 1700 miles probably means Interstate speeds in the US (70ish mph) so I doubt anyone will see 200 miles from a tank unless they are going considerably slower than that.
Go seven or so posts back..this is what an OWNER is getting with 6000km on the bike - 295Miles to empty, doing nothing special. Not totally out of step with oither owners, except maybe Warnabrother at Phillip Island.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten

GrahamD screwed with this post 03-24-2011 at 09:56 PM
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 08:29 PM   #7519
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,547
Quote:
Fast Bikes did a non-stop 1700 mile road ride with the Super Tenere and stated "at rapid motorway speeds it was dry after 140 miles"

Yeah I don't believe that - 70-ish mph should be optimal. I think "Fast Bikes" are talking more like 90-110.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:33 PM   #7520
A Knight Who Says Ni
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 837
That might be the mileage you would see if you took it to a track day. I'm sure normal cruising closer to speed limits would see mileage go way up
A Knight Who Says Ni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 09:36 PM   #7521
BobLoblaw
Comfortably Numb

Oddometer: 1,492
Quote:

Here it is http://www.fastbikesmag.com/files/20...ongest-Day.pdf

These guys did not like the Super T
Old 03-24-2011, 10:36 PM   #7522
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
Here it is http://www.fastbikesmag.com/files/20...ongest-Day.pdf

These guys did not like the Super T
Quote:
We didn’t want to do LE JOG on dual-purpose OE rubber, not least because it was all on-road, but also because we didn’t want manufacturers'
tyre budgets to influence the result

Quote:
..but the ABS is not easily switchable, which is a
definite aggravation off road, and will hamstring even the inexperienced.
I can see they thoroughly tested the ABS off road. Does off road mean off the freeway to the Brits?

If that was all I was doing I wouldn't be looking at that kind of bike.

Quote:
but the torque and outright power never conspire with any malice. This makes it more manageable on unmade roads, but 95 per cent of these bikes will never even see a grass verge, let alone a byway or desert
And there you go. Not much point developing a bike with much off road in mind when an adventure to them is riding across a sheep paddock.

95% of UK reviewers do pub crawls on back roads as well. They should take Sport Tourers next time. Much more sensible choice.

Looks like you better go buy a Beemer. I would suggest the R1200RT for that kind of riding though. It would be a lot more applicable and comfortable in the wetter and colder days (most days). Seriously, The segment is wasted over there.

This is why I was waiting for the South Africans to have a crack at this bike. They test them till they break something.

As a reviewer once said. "Africa is not for Sissy's"

Sorry but the amount of assumptions and lack of depth in this review for this segment is astounding.

They don't seem to be aware of some problems either..BMW..
Quote:
Bomb-proof....
So basically what they really want is a sports oriented bike, that is dressed in the latest trendy clothes. BMW have been touring bikes for years and know how to do it. All they did with the GS is jack it up and remove the plastic. IE its an R65 grown up. It still has the heavy ass back end and the clunky box. (character).
Quote:
The shaft drive feels unrefined at times, adding to the un-sprung weight, and causing a bit of suspension slap
and and bang. The 'box isn’t as slick at it could be either.
Quote:
once you press the starter, and the Boxer twin lurches (to the right) into life..
See, this is what is missing from the Jap bikes. Character.

Cheers
Graham

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten

GrahamD screwed with this post 03-24-2011 at 11:38 PM
Old 03-24-2011, 10:54 PM   #7523
Wasp
Supa10 pilot

Oddometer: 1,062
Seriously guys?

I read no further than the first few lines of this report, and then saw the road tires used as a "control".
Oddly, but perhaps not surprisingly, there are no off-road pics in the test yet there are comments on how they believe the bikes would fair off-road?
This was enough to convince me that there was nothing to be gained by reading further.

In typical male fashion I glanced over the pictures to note that the BMWGSA was reported as (UK Pounds) $12980 while the S10 was (UK Pounds) $13499... Really? - Boxes and all?
If that's the case then I am surprised anyone would buy an S10 in the U.K - Shame on you Yamaha U.K

The icing on the credibility cake can be seen below when you look at the 0-120mph time for the BMW listed at 24.1seconds, yet the standing mile takes 35.3seconds to achieve the same 120mph... Am I missing something here?

To all the guys anxiously waiting on the arrival of their machines, don't place too much (read any) truth in what you see in these reviews.... Just enjoy the pictures

Greg.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=778809
Wasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 11:09 PM   #7524
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasp View Post

The icing on the credibility cake can be seen below when you look at the 0-120mph time for the BMW listed at 24.1seconds, yet the standing mile takes 35.3seconds to achieve the same 120mph... Am I missing something here?

Greg.
You're missing the 0.3mph. They must have waited 11.2 seconds for a tail wind.

The prices for the GSA and GS are not hugely different in the UK, (unlike Oz) but I have a feeling that the boxes in the review would have pushed the price to a similar level to the S10. They are not BMW boxes.

Maybe they should have used control boxes as well. Maybe YAMAHA should play more of the "options" game. Advertise a price with nothing added and then "Accessorize darlings".

I think YAMAHA should do a few things for the Euro market. (A special Euro Model)

Get the R1 guys to give it work over so that it is as nervous as hell in the steering (quick), warm up the engine (+25HP) and make the chassis thin and light (Won't cope with a wash board rough stuff, 95% of people won't find out anyway and are obsessed with weight) put the old tech ABS system in with a switch, because it is becoming bleeding obvious that no-one wants to believe it is a better system and would never dare to try it out.

And that should just about do it, apart from a few bits of gravel in the gearbox and some lead weights in the swing arm to give it some "character"

GrahamD screwed with this post 03-25-2011 at 12:01 AM
Old 03-25-2011, 12:50 AM   #7525
MotorcopBBQ
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Like most of you one this thread, I have been paying at lot of attention to everything that is put out there about this bike. The fastbike article... A Joke. Probably hosted by BMW UK.
I do have a couple of questions to the S10 owners.

1. Have you had any mechanical issues at all. If so what was it; did you fix it yourself of take it to a yamaha dealer. Also, how easy is it to work on the bike.

2. What is the S10 like in bad weather. How does the tracsion control work in dry to very wet conditions. I looked on the internet and only found 1 video of a S10 going around a race track.
MotorcopBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 01:11 AM   #7526
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorcopBBQ View Post
Like most of you one this thread, I have been paying at lot of attention to everything that is put out there about this bike. The fastbike article... A Joke. Probably hosted by BMW UK.

1. Have you had any mechanical issues at all. If so what was it; did you fix it yourself of take it to a yamaha dealer. Also, how easy is it to work on the bike.

2. What is the S10 like in bad weather. How does the tracsion control work in dry to very wet conditions. I looked on the internet and only found 1 video of a S10 going around a race track.
While you are waiting look at this thread at the top of the beast section..
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...22&postcount=1

And look under the heading Gnarliness Ability. There are few vids and pics in there.

Cheers
Graham

Old 03-25-2011, 01:22 AM   #7527
SuperCruise
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
Quote:

I've had one mechanical, actually electrical, issue twice. Start bike up, head off down the road, indicate to turn - nothing. Turn bike off and back on, indicators now working. Weird. It's been about 3 months between occurances which means I haven't felt it a big enough issue to bother doing anything about.

With the ease in which the tank is accessible to be able to swing up and out of the way, self-maintenance is very easy to achieve. The centrestand is a godsend for keeping the bike upright for such maintenance and I haven't needed to use a bike jack yet.

In wet weather, this is the best bike I've ever ridden. The sheer weight of the bike means that traction control only does its stuff if you are being really agressive - in T mode I've yet to get TCS to fire in the wet. The ABS is magnificent and that does fire in the wet if you brake hard. It's a pity I can't turn it off so I can experience skidding while braking so I guess I'll just have to put up with stopping on a dime in any condition: dry, wet or dirt (VTIC). And in gusty wind, again the weight of the bike keeps lane drift to a minimum.

Around Australia, Super Tenere Style
SuperCruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 01:24 AM   #7528
Robbo60
Looking 4 Adventure

Oddometer: 115
1. No mechanical issues, there is some airbox internal mods that I assume are now standard. Mine came with the foam pods and the paper element. The dealer is suppose to fit the pods. There was a recall on the rack, now fixed no issues, all new ones would be fixed I'm sure.
2. Fantastic, really really fantastic. With Greg's adjustable screen mount onboard it is probably the best bike I have ever ridden in foul weather. It is fast and it is secure. The brakes work without the need to dry them before the next bend, the protection from the elements is great, the vision is great, the TC just works sort of unnoticed, wet or dry. I,ve only ever noticed the TC light come on in the dirt, on the bitumen if I'm going fast enough to engage the TC I am far too occupied to look at the instruments.
Some of my riding buddies only ride sport bikes and they are successful A grade road racers and one a past NSW flat track champion, well they watch me disappear in the wet, the wetter the gnarlier the windier the greater the advantage. However I do love it when its wet.

You will not be dissapointed in this bike, Fast Bikes must be a bunch of clowns. A couple of my riding buddies are journos, a couple can ride very well and write too, some can write but can they ride?, um no not really.......
Even fewer can also properly critique.
The best thing about british writing is the humour, prob best to leave it at that.

Quote:

Old 03-25-2011, 01:43 AM   #7529
hayfarmer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
fuel consumption

Just to get back to fuel figures for a moment. I agree with SuperCruise.

I just did a trip on my S10 (with 8000 ks) from nth NSW to the Blue Mountains with loaded Givi panniers and sat on about 115 on h/way and 130 on back roads. I travelled down through the Bylong valley to Lithgow

then Springwood.(NSW riders will know the route). I retuned via the Putty road and the N>E Highway.

So I had H/way, backroads and twisties.

I averaged 4.8 lts/100 klms for the 1000 klms. The readout showed 4.6 lts/100.

I could average 4.1 on my wee strom, but for the better ride the S10 is worth the extra fuel.

I have no worries getting 400 klms from a tank.

Brian
hayfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 01:47 AM   #7530
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,537
Cheers for the feedback. Looks like 220 miles before you even have to think about juice at fair speeds. No word on the white ones yet. Need to have a test ride soon.
As for all the press - riding a bike for a day or so is no evaluation of how a bike is to live with. My VFR12 was slaughtered by the media. 12 months on - no issues. Fill with fuel and let rip. Repeat.
The MTS and the GS are the media darlings, but i get the impression the S10 will be a hassle free mile muncher in the same vein as my bike.
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote